Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 08:32 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,009 times

Advertisements

Why do people try to talk themselves into something that there gut says is a bad idea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 09:50 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Snow, I didn't say cash..I said MO or cashiers check.

Ms_Christina...yes, MO can have a stop payment put on it, so can a personal check, so can bill pay, so can Paypal, so can just about any form of payment other than cold hard cash in your hand. This is why I suggested cashiers check as well.....it can't be stopped..and for this tenant, that would be the only way I'd accept payment.
I believe requiring cashier's checks and money orders is the same as requiring cash. That's always been my understanding. I could be wrong, of course.

As far as PayPal, the trick is to empty the PayPal account asap, if you're afraid of PayPal freezing your funds, which I think is highly unlikely.

If the tenant used a credit card through PayPal, they could dispute the transaction. All the OP would have to do is show it's a valid debt/payment, IMO.

As far as a debit card payment for rent via PayPal, I doubt the tenant could do anything about a fund transfer after the fact.

I see that you are only comfortable with a cashier's check, and that's okay for you, of course. Personally, I love PayPal. Easy peasy for all.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:54 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
We're thinking of renting to a tenant with an eviction on her record. The good is that she has a decent job (LPN) that she's held for a long time, and a second job, so she can afford it. She also has on hand the maximum deposit the law allows - two months, and first month's rent, and can take it the first of the month. The bad is an eviction.

I am not eager to take this tenant, because of the eviction. However, financially, it does seem to make sense, because we wouldn't be able to get the place rented this month otherwise (that's over a thousand right there), and we'll have a two month's deposit. My husband has met her and feels more comfortable about it.

I'm trying to figure out some way to feel more secure that we'll get paid. Will employers do automatic payroll deduction to pay rent? If it were coming out of her pay before she gets it, I'd feel more comfortable about it. That way, the tenant has to go out of her way to cancel the automatic payroll deduction, and we'll know to begin eviction the minute the rent is late.

Anyone with any other ideas for establishing a large cushion to cover the eviction time in case she doesn't pay rent? It's been our experience that an eviction usually takes about six weeks and under $500 in our area.
Run a credit report on her, that will show a pattern if there are other problems or other past evictions she didn't tell you about.

Yes, you might get that $1000 and have $2000. but how long can she drag it out to live rent free is she wants to?

Old 06-10-2015, 12:02 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,239,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
Run a credit report on her, that will show a pattern if there are other problems or other past evictions she didn't tell you about.

Yes, you might get that $1000 and have $2000. but how long can she drag it out to live rent free is she wants to?
Over a year old, odd thread to respond to.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:03 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,838,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post

Post is over a year old. I'm sure the issue has been resolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting