Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2014, 06:21 PM

6 posts, read 10,463 times

Advertisements

I'm really at my wits end, so I apologize if this turns into a long vent! I just need to know, am I the one who's crazy here, or being dramatic & unfair? My fiancé & I moved into our one bedroom about a year and a half ago now. Our upstairs neighbors are a nightmare. There is a wife, husband, grandmother & two toddlers all in a one bedroom, which is already against the nj zoning laws. I of course expect there to be noise with two children, they have tons of energy and I get that. My problem is that it's ALL OF THE TIME from early in the morning until late at night. I'm pretty sure they don't have a bedtime. All we hear is trampling, stomping, screaming, running, galloping. It never ends. They have no carpeting. The kids run full length of the apartment what seems like the majority of the day (at least every time I'm home!) and all evening way until nighttime. I fell asleep last night even while they were running back and forth, and awoken with my heart jumping out of my chest because of what sounded like someone dropping a bowling ball through the ceiling.

My nerves have had it, every time I fall asleep it's running, or a THUD that startles me. The mother never, ever takes her kids out, they are in the apartment 24/7 & there is a park right up the street. It's no wonder it sounds like we live below a heard of elephants. To make matters worse, they are some type of religion, not sure what exactly, but every Monday, Wednesday & Friday they bring nearly 20 people upstairs to their apartment for a 3 hour sermon that lasts until 10 pm. All you hear is people stomping & clapping, and yelling "hallelujah"!!! It's incredibly obnoxious, and they're broadcasting a priest from the Dominican rebuplic through loud speakers. Then at 10 pm or whenever it's done, all of the people come barreling down the stairs (we share an entrance). We've spoke with them going on 6 times now because of the noise level ( they used to blare really loud Spanish music but finally stopped). They'll keep it down the first few nights, but a week later they're back to they're usual clapping stomping and yelling. I just really can't take it anymore. We are going to be letting management know for the third time on Monday, and hopefully it'll be the last. I really don't hate anybody, but I'm beginning to loathe these people. I don't understand how you can receive complaints so much, and yet still keep up the same bull****. We are super quite, don't play music and keep the tv low, the least they could do is restrain their children from running like maniacs, or have their sermons elsewhere. This isn't a church, or a gathering hall, which they seem to think it is.

I just can't believe people could be so downright rude. What happened to common courtesy? If we had neighbors below us, I would never dream of being as disrespectful as these people are. Don't they care that people live below them? Can't they do us a favor and at least half the time try to keep it down? I've absolutely had it! These are the nightmare tenants from horror stories in my opinion, and at this point the best thing that could happen would be for them to move. The management even sent them a letter saying one of the clauses from our lease 'tenant has right to peaceful, quite environment' and that if it doesn't stop immediately they will be evicted. And guess what? They haven't stopped. Thank you for reading this if anyone does, and I apologize for the lengthy post! I just don't know what to do anymore, I'm going crazy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 06:32 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
It sounds as though management is doing something about it, even though it may not be as fast as you'd like. Have you been putting your complaints in writing? If not, that would be a very good idea as it would give management better leverage to force an eviction.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:34 PM

That's a good idea! We will do that, thank you.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:35 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,839,013 times
If you feel that they are violating local notice ordinances, you can call the police.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:28 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
It sounds like the management is working on getting rid of them, which is great. Just keep complaining and call the cops when they have church in their apartment. I bet they need a license or something to do that. Make sure management knows that they're using the apartment as a meeting hall. At least they can probably nip that in the bud immediately.

Anyway, keep complaining and if it's no better at the end of your lease, move out - and into a top floor somewhere else.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:34 AM

66 posts, read 214,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lao89 View Post
I'm really at my wits end, so I apologize if this turns into a long vent! I just need to know, am I the one who's crazy here, or being dramatic & unfair? My fiancé & I moved into our one bedroom about a year and a half ago now. Our upstairs neighbors are a nightmare. There is a wife, husband, grandmother & two toddlers all in a one bedroom, which is already against the nj zoning laws. I of course expect there to be noise with two children, they have tons of energy and I get that. My problem is that it's ALL OF THE TIME from early in the morning until late at night. I'm pretty sure they don't have a bedtime. All we hear is trampling, stomping, screaming, running, galloping. It never ends. They have no carpeting. The kids run full length of the apartment what seems like the majority of the day (at least every time I'm home!) and all evening way until nighttime. I fell asleep last night even while they were running back and forth, and awoken with my heart jumping out of my chest because of what sounded like someone dropping a bowling ball through the ceiling.

My nerves have had it, every time I fall asleep it's running, or a THUD that startles me. The mother never, ever takes her kids out, they are in the apartment 24/7 & there is a park right up the street. It's no wonder it sounds like we live below a heard of elephants. To make matters worse, they are some type of religion, not sure what exactly, but every Monday, Wednesday & Friday they bring nearly 20 people upstairs to their apartment for a 3 hour sermon that lasts until 10 pm. All you hear is people stomping & clapping, and yelling "hallelujah"!!! It's incredibly obnoxious, and they're broadcasting a priest from the Dominican rebuplic through loud speakers. Then at 10 pm or whenever it's done, all of the people come barreling down the stairs (we share an entrance). We've spoke with them going on 6 times now because of the noise level ( they used to blare really loud Spanish music but finally stopped). They'll keep it down the first few nights, but a week later they're back to they're usual clapping stomping and yelling. I just really can't take it anymore. We are going to be letting management know for the third time on Monday, and hopefully it'll be the last. I really don't hate anybody, but I'm beginning to loathe these people. I don't understand how you can receive complaints so much, and yet still keep up the same bull****. We are super quite, don't play music and keep the tv low, the least they could do is restrain their children from running like maniacs, or have their sermons elsewhere. This isn't a church, or a gathering hall, which they seem to think it is.

I just can't believe people could be so downright rude. What happened to common courtesy? If we had neighbors below us, I would never dream of being as disrespectful as these people are. Don't they care that people live below them? Can't they do us a favor and at least half the time try to keep it down? I've absolutely had it! These are the nightmare tenants from horror stories in my opinion, and at this point the best thing that could happen would be for them to move. The management even sent them a letter saying one of the clauses from our lease 'tenant has right to peaceful, quite environment' and that if it doesn't stop immediately they will be evicted. And guess what? They haven't stopped. Thank you for reading this if anyone does, and I apologize for the lengthy post! I just don't know what to do anymore, I'm going crazy

Wow! I don't know how you have been able to survive for a year and a half listening to that noise. I would have gone nuts!! How long have you been complaining to management? I would send them a certified letter to let hem know that something needs to be done about this, even if they have to move you to another unit. Otherwise you will be seeking legal remedies and/or breaking your lease and moving out.

Also you need proof so if you can get a tape recorder, record the noise and present this to management.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:18 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyrenter99 View Post
Wow! I don't know how you have been able to survive for a year and a half listening to that noise. I would have gone nuts!! How long have you been complaining to management? I would send them a certified letter to let hem know that something needs to be done about this, even if they have to move you to another unit. Otherwise you will be seeking legal remedies and/or breaking your lease and moving out.

Also you need proof so if you can get a tape recorder, record the noise and present this to management.
This is actually a really good idea. My digital camera also has a video recording option. I video-taped the noise from the bar below me here, and even walked outside the bar on the street, so the management (who is not here at night to hear the noise) could see what I was talking about.

It was one thing to blow me off because I was saying it was noisy, but the videos showed I wasn't just being "sensitive."

I uploaded the videos to vimeo.com, instead of youtube, and told the management my intent wasn't to expose the situation to the world, as vimeo isn't as well known.

It got me a quick ticket to a different apartment, where just complaining wasn't getting me anywhere.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:57 PM

@ happyrenter99, I honestly dont know! It's always been awful, but it seems even more so now that one of the daughters is now able to run around around & keep up with her sister. It's constant thudding! We've always understood kids are noisy, and that's perfectly ok, but the parents never ever bother to even tell them to stop running like maniacs even once in a while. We've told management about 4 times now over the phone. The good news is tomorrow another second warning notice is being sent. The man who lives upstairs next apartment over to them moved out due to buying a house, but was barely home really. Who ever ends up renting that apartment, I'm sure won't be tolerating it either. If it's really loud for us, it'll be even worse for them. I know it sounds terrible but I really hope they reach the eviction point. We've been so patient & nice with them, and all they've done is take full advantage. I'm sure anyone else would have had the police here 10 times already. Will let you know how tomorrow goes.

@ nomoresnowforme, so glad you finally got to be relocated! Sometimes 'noisy' is just so far beyond that! It can get really awful sometimes! They're having another sermon tonight at 7:30 ( I know the routine like the back of my hand) so we will definitely record it. If it gets to be unbearably loud, we have the guys number upstairs & will tell him if it's not lowered the cops will be called. Which we've done already, but will do again!

Thank you all for your input! It's been far too long putting up with this. We have a right to at leat SOME peace & quiet half the time!

Old 04-28-2014, 06:00 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,056,173 times
You do not need any license to worship in your own home in NJ. By yourself or with 20 of your friends. It is VERY common in NJ. It may be a slow process because management is making sure they can't shout "Religious Persecution!!!" But they may be able to cite them for having more people in the apartment then what is allowed by the fire marshal.

Another option would be to ask management to move you to another apartment or let you out of your lease with no penalty so you can move.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:36 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,279,429 times
I am so sorry you are going through this. We had religious fanatics living next to us and it was awful. They had people over all the time and listened to videos of preachers really loud on their TV, and sent us anonymous mail trying to get us to join their church. They also thought they could do no wrong.
But at least they didn't have so many people living in a one bedroom apt and their visitors were limited to 4-5 people at a time. I cant imagine that mgmt allowed that many people in a one bedroom apt in the first place!!! What the heck?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting