Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 09:35 PM

76 posts, read 405,601 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at apartments to rent for the first time. I have been looking at prices for various apartment complexes. My question is regarding varying prices at the same complex. Some places list on their website what units are available. They all have price ranges (995-1195 as just one random example), and also, some of them which have the same square footage and beds/baths have a different price.

So first of all, what is up with the price range?

And second of all, why, if the room has the same sq ft and beds/bath do some cost more than others?

Edit: I just thought of another question. Will there be tax on top of the price? Or if it is 995 a month, will 995 be it?
I will also try to ask about other fees and whatever else, to uncover hidden costs I might not be aware of.

Thanks

Last edited by PhotoGuy79; 06-16-2014 at 10:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 09:54 PM

244 posts, read 667,311 times
Where I live, the amounts are different based on if you are upstairs or downstairs. Also, some units are a little more updated than others.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:32 PM

532 posts, read 958,626 times
I agree with oak, units on higher floors tend to cost more (for the view), there is no tax, but definitely ask about other fees. For instance where I live (apartment complex), I pay an additional $30-60 a month that is for: trash disposal, pest control, and whatever else they can think of). Make sure that they don't throw anything else besides the rent in there BEFORE you sign.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:07 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoGuy79 View Post
I'm looking at apartments to rent for the first time. I have been looking at prices for various apartment complexes. My question is regarding varying prices at the same complex. Some places list on their website what units are available. They all have price ranges (995-1195 as just one random example), and also, some of them which have the same square footage and beds/baths have a different price.

And second of all, why, if the room has the same sq ft and beds/bath do some cost more than others?

Edit: I just thought of another question. Will there be tax on top of the price? Or if it is 995 a month, will 995 be it?
I will also try to ask about other fees and whatever else, to uncover hidden costs I might not be aware of.

Thanks
Price Range is for layout and amenities usually. Maybe one has a dishwasher and one has a den. No tax. 995 thats it.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:36 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times
If your apartment hunt goes anything like mine did last year be sure to hold a pillow next to the wall before you start beating your head against the wall.

As others have said things such as being upstairs, the view, having a balcony or upgraded appilances can all affect the price. Keep in mind the price range listed on the website might not actually be what you end up paying. The website for one complex I was looking at had a price range of $775 to $900 for a one bedroom unit. When I called I was told the only one bedroom unit available was going for $1100. There are also lots of hidden fees. Some places charge for even basic parking. Other places charge if you want a spot under the carport and even more for a garage. Many places have a one time move in fee. Many places charge for garbage, water and sewer.

You will also find many places that are advertising apartments for rent are actually full and are just taking names in anticipation of renters moving out during the next few months.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:17 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
At my complex it's based location of the building (road front, lake front, wood front) and whether or the not the unit has been updated.

All you have to do is ask this question along with the safe and newt question. Also be sure to read everything they give you...it should cover all the fees involved.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:32 AM

575 posts, read 1,468,151 times
My landlord company does this. The price varies based on location of the apartment, top floor is cheaper than the bottom floor because you have to walk up stairs. The ones with higher prices usually have some extra things in them such as a fireplace, microwave, different flooring, upgraded kitchen cabinets or counters, etc...

Also, the way where I'm at now does it, the sooner you move, the cheaper. For example, if I went today to look at a unit and told them I would move in next week, the price would be cheaper than if I told them I wanted the unit to sit empty for 3 weeks until I'm ready to move.

Also, be aware of extra fees. Where I live now does this as well (but they tell you up front and it's part of the price quote). We have a set water bill every month that is part of the rent, we pay for common area lighting, and trash is also a small fee that's included into the rent.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:35 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoGuy79 View Post

There is more too it than price per square foot. Top units are more desirable from a noise perspective. Basement level units are usually cheaper. Also, unit location within the complex (lake front, road front, etc...). Finally, the unit with the newest floors, appliances, countertops, etc will rent for more than the unit that has the original 1987 equipment in it.

I've also seen where landlords/PM's use software to find the most up to date market demands on a day to day basis. I'm a free market guy, so I'm all about them getting the best rate possible at any given time, but that can be frustrating too. I walked away from a nice apartment when moving to North Carolina because the ad I called on (and printed off) was $100 less than the price they wouldn't budge off three days later when I visited. I felt they were being difficult and that it wasn't worth doing business with them (and maybe they would have felt the same about me if I had actually filled out the application with them.)

Old 06-17-2014, 07:55 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
The less expensive units are haunted by the ghosts of former tenants.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:59 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,990,141 times
The reasons vary, so you really need to ask the renting agent why. Some may have added amenities like a great view or updated appliances. If a complex is going through a renovation, the prices will be lower on units that aren't updated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting