Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2014, 06:05 PM

575 posts, read 1,469,251 times

Advertisements

I'm really trying not to be that person who is always "Get off ma lawn!" but I'm having some issues with some of the neighborhood kids.

I've noticed that there are a few young children (around 8/9 years old) who like the play in my yard. No biggie. I don't care about that. However, I've noticed them climbing the utility pole in the yard and they've been climbing the trees and purposely breaking off huge branches (which I then have to call the city refuse collection to schedule a pickup and break the branch into pieces that are shorter than 4 ft and go buy biodegradable bags to put the branch pieces in). I'm more concerned about them climbing the poles though because what if they get hurt - would I be responsible since it happened on my rental property??

Also, someone stole my kid's dodgeball off the back porch. I thought maybe it was an animal but the more I think about it, the more unlikely that seems. The ball was tucked into a corner where it couldn't move unless someone moved it plus the kids could have definitely seen it from where they were playing.

I'm just not sure how to address this. Should I call management and tell them about the kids? I don't know whose kids they are and I don't know where they live. The only thing I have to go by is what they look like. I might be able to catch them in the act while the office is open (my yard can be seen from the office window) but what if the office isn't open?

Would it be appropriate for me to tell the kids they can't play in my yard anymore if they're going to be breaking branches off trees and climbing the utility poles? I'm also concerned they may try to steal more things off my porch (if it was them).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 07:10 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurabug View Post
I'm really trying not to be that person who is always "Get off ma lawn!" but I'm having some issues with some of the neighborhood kids.

I've noticed that there are a few young children (around 8/9 years old) who like the play in my yard. No biggie. I don't care about that. However, I've noticed them climbing the utility pole in the yard and they've been climbing the trees and purposely breaking off huge branches (which I then have to call the city refuse collection to schedule a pickup and break the branch into pieces that are shorter than 4 ft and go buy biodegradable bags to put the branch pieces in). I'm more concerned about them climbing the poles though because what if they get hurt - would I be responsible since it happened on my rental property??

Also, someone stole my kid's dodgeball off the back porch. I thought maybe it was an animal but the more I think about it, the more unlikely that seems. The ball was tucked into a corner where it couldn't move unless someone moved it plus the kids could have definitely seen it from where they were playing.

I'm just not sure how to address this. Should I call management and tell them about the kids? I don't know whose kids they are and I don't know where they live. The only thing I have to go by is what they look like. I might be able to catch them in the act while the office is open (my yard can be seen from the office window) but what if the office isn't open?

Would it be appropriate for me to tell the kids they can't play in my yard anymore if they're going to be breaking branches off trees and climbing the utility poles? I'm also concerned they may try to steal more things off my porch (if it was them).

You wouldn't be responsible if the kids got hurt - you don't own the property.

I would definitely speak to management and tell them your concerns about the kids getting hurt.

I also see no problem telling the kids yourself that you don't think it's a good idea that they climb a utility pole/trees for their own safety. I'd add that it's not nice to break branches off of a tree - it can hurt the tree and ask them to please stop.

Keeping in mind you think they're only 8 or 9 years old, I would start off like this, "Do your parents know you are climbing this pole/trees? I don't think they'd be very happy about it because you could get very hurt and I'm sure they wouldn't like that. Please don't do it again because I don't want you to get hurt in my yard."

As far as your own child's toys go, maybe buy one of those rubbermaid containers and stick all of his outside "stuff" in it. They can be a pain in the neck for an adult to open sometimes.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:19 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Tell the kids to get out of your yard.

Yell LOUDLY. Be that person. Who cares? There are other places they can play.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:31 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
I used to sneak out into my garage and turn on the sprinklers to get rid of kids in my front yard. <evil grin>

Old 08-09-2014, 08:28 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Tell the kids to get out of your yard.

Yell LOUDLY. Be that person. Who cares? There are other places they can play.
I agree. If the yard is included in your rental it's your property and you have every legal right to tell them plainly and simply that they are not to play in there. Management/landlord has nothing to do with it.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:36 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,399,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
You wouldn't be responsible if the kids got hurt - you don't own the property.

I would definitely speak to management and tell them your concerns about the kids getting hurt.

I also see no problem telling the kids yourself that you don't think it's a good idea that they climb a utility pole/trees for their own safety. I'd add that it's not nice to break branches off of a tree - it can hurt the tree and ask them to please stop.

Keeping in mind you think they're only 8 or 9 years old, I would start off like this, "Do your parents know you are climbing this pole/trees? I don't think they'd be very happy about it because you could get very hurt and I'm sure they wouldn't like that. Please don't do it again because I don't want you to get hurt in my yard."

As far as your own child's toys go, maybe buy one of those rubbermaid containers and stick all of his outside "stuff" in it. They can be a pain in the neck for an adult to open sometimes.
No offense intended, but I totally disagree with this watered down version of GET THE HECK OUT OF MY YARD. Be direct. Tell them to stay off your property and follow up by telling the parents.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
No offense intended, but I totally disagree with this watered down version of GET THE HECK OUT OF MY YARD. Be direct. Tell them to stay off your property and follow up by telling the parents.
None taken.

Just spoke from experience.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:13 AM

575 posts, read 1,469,251 times
Well they haven't showed up again yet! Go figures. But we were outside most of yesterday. I don't know who their parents are - the neighborhood is pretty large and I'm not going to follow them home. But I'll definitely be telling them they need to go play elsewhere and following up with management if they decide to climb the utility pole / break more branches off the trees.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurabug View Post
Well they haven't showed up again yet! Go figures. But we were outside most of yesterday. I don't know who their parents are - the neighborhood is pretty large and I'm not going to follow them home. But I'll definitely be telling them they need to go play elsewhere and following up with management if they decide to climb the utility pole / break more branches off the trees.
Do you rent the area that the utility pole is in or is it in "common space"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting