Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 01:45 PM

10 posts, read 17,716 times

Advertisements

The most common answer I have gotten is that she probably had some issue with me.

She maintains it's not about me but that she wanted to treat every one equally by having them fill out & sign the same form. A rental agent is feeding her this information.

I could do that but she didn't give me much time. The other guy finished his before I did because she gave him one.

She has even gone so far as to send me rental listings to "help" me find a new place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 03:25 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
No, it is not discrimination to require an applicant to fill out specific paperwork. In fact, that is much more fair to have everyone provide exactly the same information.

If you want to rent from me, you will have to fill out my paperwork.

I've occasionally had applicants try to give me other applications, and they never contain all the information that I need. The information that is there is not in the right order, and I spend enough time doing screening without having to hunt through unfamiliar paperwork to try to find the information that I want.

My "permission to run credit report" has exactly the information I need to run the credit report and it is in exactly the same order as it is required to run that report. It's not my job to turn over unfamiliar pages trying to locate each little tidbit.

I'm processing a lot of applications and I am not going to call the applicant, trying to get the information that should be on the application. If the applicant want the rental, it is his job to provide the information I need to do the screening. The way the applicant is certain to provide me with the exact information I want, is for him to use my application forms.

Incidentally, I've seen illegal questions on other applications and often applications ask for information that I don't even want to see (like for bank account numbers).

Old 08-16-2014, 09:04 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellerdog View Post
Ok, I hear you. If it's not discrimination, what is it? it is certainly odd. I mean, it happened overnight. She may be legally correct then but insensitive.

I did, in fact, try to fill out her form.

When I called the Renter's Rights office, they said "That's ridiculous! Don't rent from her because she is nuts!"

Other landlords accepted the application and credit report with no problem. They all owned multiple buildings.

I still have to see her at church. Despite it not being illegal, I feel it was unfair and underhanded in some way.
It is called "following their procedures if you want to rent from them even if you feel it is silly".

They are in charge, not you, so if you want the place, you cannnot bring your own form.

Do you think a company wants to take time to read all the fine print to see if yours is REALLY a duplicate of theirs? if the landlord does that, and by mistake does not catch a word, then you could hold them legally accountable for that word, and they would be in trouble.

I being the landlord do not have to use "your" form, you must use mine. Its not personal, its just business as Donald Trump says.

If you have such an issue with this, and you already are talking about suing, I'd not rent to you because what else are you going to think to sue me for.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:36 AM

10 posts, read 17,716 times
Who said anything about suing?

I did all my homework ahead of time. For that, I was rejected.

I came to the showing prepared. I preempted the process by doing everything ahead of time. That way, they knew who they were dealing with.

If she wanted me to fill out HER form, she should have had one to give me. Instead, she sent me an e-mail attachment I couldn't download.

Some rental sites suggest that renters do exactly what I did. Present the potential landlord with all the information they need. It shows initiative.

The owner only has one apartment to rent. I would have thought that out of consideration she would have given me time to get the attachment via e-mail before rejecting me based on my already completed form.

After all, I did turn my application in first. All I was doing was rewriting it.

Old 08-17-2014, 04:30 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:

1. Instead, she sent me an e-mail attachment I couldn't download.

2. Some rental sites suggest that renters do exactly what I did. Present the potential landlord with all the information they need. It shows initiative.

3. I would have thought that out of consideration she would have given me time to get the attachment via e-mail before rejecting me based on my already completed form.
1. When someone sends you a document in a format your system doesn't recognize, just let them know and ask them to reformat it. Takes just a couple of clicks.

2. Just as with someone using a generic employment application instead of the one the company provides, it more often than not results in the application being immediately transferred to File 13. Oregonwoodsmoke explained it very well.

3. Seems that the LL was following the direction of her agent, viz: "wanted me to use "her" application as opposed to the generic one I gave her."

Better luck next time around - I'm sure you'll find something even better!

Old 08-17-2014, 06:45 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
Quote:
Who said anything about suing?

I did all my homework ahead of time. For that, I was rejected.

I came to the showing prepared. I preempted the process by doing everything ahead of time. That way, they knew who they were dealing with.

If she wanted me to fill out HER form, she should have had one to give me. Instead, she sent me an e-mail attachment I couldn't download.

Some rental sites suggest that renters do exactly what I did. Present the potential landlord with all the information they need. It shows initiative.

The owner only has one apartment to rent. I would have thought that out of consideration she would have given me time to get the attachment via e-mail before rejecting me based on my already completed form.

After all, I did turn my application in first. All I was doing was rewriting it.
Well, to me when you holler discrimination, the next logical step would be lawsuit.

Anyway, the thing is, why do you insist on your own form when you could have saved time, aggravation, etc by just filling out her form?

Apparently, it is not ok for whatever her reasons, and she does not have to tell you.

Maybe you are a person who thinks your idea is so logical that she should love it however, apparently, your application is not ok, and if you want the apartment, you will have to follow their procedures, even if it seems silly. You feel "all i did was…" but thats not the point. You could have done cartwheels, flip flops, brought the circus in, did 100 jumping jacks, etc, but the simple fact is - you did not fill out HER form, and that was a mistaken choice on your part. Then even with that, you know even if you do fill out her form, she might have not chosen you anyway, so sometimes that happens, but still you gave yourself less of a chance when you did not follow her instructions, and Im not there in real life, but that may have been a red flag and she thought you were a bit strange.

By the way, why could your computer not download it? Also, if i were given a form that I could not download, I would walk down in person and get one in person. That way, you would have avoided that problem. I do not rely on technology for crucial things like this. Someone else in another forum topic said they relied on technology to deliver an online payment and something happened, and it screwed them up, so again, do not rely on emails, downloading, etc, GO IN PERSON!

Old 08-17-2014, 06:51 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
For someone like you say, who has worked in property management I don't get your post and accusations. You didn't follow the rules and you of all people with the claim you worked in that business it is shocking to read your post.

What violation...please refer to the section that you believe is a violation?
Quote:
Eee gads!
I've been a landlord. Now, I am looking to rent. I have seen a kazillion properties.

For my three favorite properties, I used the same application, credit check, letters of reference, letter from my landlord, etc. all were seen within 2 weeks.

The first two landlords approved me with flying colors. They said I exceeded their expectations. I have great credit.

I couldn't get a response from this last place for weeks. I have documentation showing I tried e-mailing her for over 14 days.

I was just about to snail mail her my information when she e-mailed me. I e-mailed back and attached all my documents just to get a jump on the apartment.

I went to see the apartment. It was a good fit. I gave her all my documents on the spot.

Later, she contacted me and (We know each other from church) said that her agent wanted me to use "her" application as opposed to the generic one I gave her. Eye roll. Fine. She sent it via e-mail.

I could not download her application. But what was the point? It had the same information on it that mine did.

The next day, she called to say she got another application from somebody else. Since the new guy was the FIRST ONE to apply (and, she exclaims, he brought a security deposit!) he gets the apartment. What?!!

Yes, he filled out the correct application. I explained that it is the same information. No, see, she wants everything to be equal.

I believe this is what you call discrimination. You can't reject an applicant because the form is different. (Can you?) As long as the information is filled out fully and it's the same information.

She is violating all kinds of fair Housing issues but which ones?

No, I can't possibly rent from her. I want to straighten her out, though. I have to see her at church. I think her agent is pushing her to say all this stuff. Help me give her the straight dope??!!

Old 08-17-2014, 07:08 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,354,049 times
Sorry you didn't get the place. Glad you have 2 others that you are already approved for so you have some fallback.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:11 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:
I still have to see her at church.
Then wouldn't it be following your Christian values to forgive, forget, don't hold a grudge, and move on?

Old 08-17-2014, 08:53 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Sorry you didn't get the place. Glad you have 2 others that you are already approved for so you have some fallback.
That was also something that was odd to me...why would someone who is approved at 2 places apply else where?

Too much money to waste....or maybe denied else where?

It usually is different when common sense is not making sense of the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting