Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 09:01 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times

Advertisements

Has anyone tried this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 09:20 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Without going to Court, winning and getting a Judgment first? Nope.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
So how do utilities and other creditors do it without going to court?

Old 09-04-2014, 09:46 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Public Utility and Consumer Finance laws
And even they have to go through a LOT of steps before they can report non payment.

fwiw.. it's not all that hard to take a tenant to Court and get a judgment
but you WILL have to follow the civil law process and be able to actually prove it.

If you can... it'll give you a nice warm and fuzzy feeling to have gotten the Judgment.
If all the stars align (like a lotto win) you might even see that money some day too.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:48 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Because they are Reporting Members of a credit bureau. If you want, just go to any of the main bureaus and follow their process for becoming a reporting member. It cost you, so it’s not free. I know one of them actually has to send a person to your place of business and they grill you on the FCRA. If you don't know it or mess up on answers, they reject you.

You can also become a member of some organization such as your state landlord association who may have a Reporting Member contract that you can tie onto. You give them the information and they enter it into the system. This may be included in some dues or may be a fee for service. Some may even serve as your FCRA compliance clearinghouse as well.

Of course, you will always be legally liable for any information you report.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:23 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Another poster is very right...go to court and get a judgment and it will show up on the next background check.

One of my past tenants paid since it was hurting them with new rentals and background checks for a new job.

Another one was such a dead beat that he got an eviction following my judgment and will keep doing the same since some will not pull a report even though they are warned to do so by many people and as can be seen on website and another LL. And I both went to court to prevent others from dealing with this family.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,058 times
Default Yes you can!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I was very pleased to see that for just under $13 I could report my last tenant to all three credit agencies on the Mr. Landlord web site. It is a collection company, they handle the legal notification letter and they will keep a percentage.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:01 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
You can sell the debt for money owed to you by a tenant to a collection agency. The collection agency will report it to the credit companies.

My suggestion is to file against the tenant in small claims court. The judge will give you a judgement for money. Record that judgement. Once it is recorded, the credit companies will pick it up and add it to the credit report. After that, sell it to a collection agency and it will be on the tenant's credit report both as ajudgement and as an unpaid debt in collections.

If the tenant is a deadbeat, you might not ever see any money, but the rest of us landlords will thank you when we order a credit report and see that the applicant is in collections and has a judgement for money owed to a prior landlord. I appreciate it when another a landlord warns me about a difficult tenant so I can reject their application.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You can sell the debt for money owed to you by a tenant to a collection agency. The collection agency will report it to the credit companies.

My suggestion is to file against the tenant in small claims court. The judge will give you a judgement for money. Record that judgement. Once it is recorded, the credit companies will pick it up and add it to the credit report. After that, sell it to a collection agency and it will be on the tenant's credit report both as ajudgement and as an unpaid debt in collections.

If the tenant is a deadbeat, you might not ever see any money, but the rest of us landlords will thank you when we order a credit report and see that the applicant is in collections and has a judgement for money owed to a prior landlord. I appreciate it when another a landlord warns me about a difficult tenant so I can reject their application.
So, by selling it to a collection agency am I right in thinking that they will pay me? If so how much?

Old 03-08-2015, 10:43 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I recently looked this up for someone else. Here's one option. To find more, just google "landlord collection agency."

RentRecoveryService.com ? Landlord Collection Agency, Rent Recovery Service, Contingency & Flat Fees

I agree with what Rabrrita said that you need to become a paying subscriber to the credit bureaus, or use a subscriber's service, to report the tenant debt, like the one above. It has a couple of different options.

Another way to have your tenant's payment history show up on a credit report, is to use a rent payment service. I recently read about this on Experian's website:

Individual Landlords and Independent Rental Owners | Rental Payment Reporting | Experian RentBureau

Scroll down to see the rent payment services that report to the bureaus.

Judgments are hit and miss as far as showing up on a credit report. Plus, you still have to collect. I think you can use the collection agency without getting a judgment, but you'll have to check that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting