Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2014, 03:38 PM

2 posts, read 1,967 times

Advertisements

So I'm having a dispute with my LL regarding when did my lease end.

To give background I had a 2 year lease on a property which then went month to month (no notice was given by the land lord). I did notify the land lord in June that we were moving out in by end of July and paid rent until August 31st because the LL said there was a 60 day holdover period, come to find out from the lease it was 30. However, given that we were able to move to our new home early I returned the keys to the property on the 10th although rent was paid until the 31st. As stated by local law and the contract the deposit was due 21 days after lease end however the question is when did the lease end? When I turned over the keys or when the month ended? Also, now the landlord is claiming "damages" other than wear and tear when we walked through and after numerous discussions he did not mention any issues.

Any thoughts? At this point I'm not only disappointed with the LL but also frustrated because he is now claiming he bent over backwards for us when in reality we were more than flexible with them as there were numerous cases of water in the basement and items that we had to discard due to faulty repairs from his part or just lack of adequately addressing the issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 03:51 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Presuming your rent day was the first of the month, the lease ended on the last day of the month for which you paid rent. Deciding to leave earlier was your decision.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:57 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Security Deposit laws are state specifc. What one states allowes may not be what another state allowes. There is no specific advice without a specific state.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:58 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by defiler2k View Post
So I'm having a dispute with my LL regarding when did my lease end.

To give background I had a 2 year lease on a property which then went month to month
...and paid rent until August 31st because...
...because monthly rent is paid on a monthly basis.

Quote:
I returned the keys to the property on the 10th...
Did you have any communication from the LL that they agreed/intended to prorate?
What would you (or they) have done differently if you "returned the keys" on the 24th?

Quote:
I did notify the land lord in June that we were moving out in by end of July...
And what if the LL had taken you at your word when you said you would be out by 7/31?
Lined up a new tenant or contractors or cancelled their beach week to be available to
do the turnover work.... and so forth?

Quote:
...the question is when did the lease end?
That's only a question to you.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:35 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Security Deposit laws are state specifc. What one states allowes may not be what another state allowes. There is no specific advice without a specific state.
I believe the OP is in Minnesota. If so, this link is self explanatory. See Section 18, para.2 third sentence:

Office of Minnesota Attorney General Lori Swanson - Housing and Mortgage Assistance

Old 09-22-2014, 08:00 PM

2 posts, read 1,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
...because monthly rent is paid on a monthly basis.

Did you have any communication from the LL that they agreed/intended to prorate?
What would you (or they) have done differently if you "returned the keys" on the 24th?

And what if the LL had taken you at your word when you said you would be out by 7/31?
Lined up a new tenant or contractors or cancelled their beach week to be available to
do the turnover work.... and so forth?

That's only a question to you.
I think i didn't explain myself well. I do understand that you pay for the full months rent regardless of what point the month the lease ends unless there is a written agreement of prorating the remaining month. My concern is that i gave the keys back to the LL and he has yet to return my deposit claiming that although i gave him the keys on the 10h and he had contractors in the next day to work on the house he claims the house was mine until the end of the month when i clearly had no access to the property and he had taken possession.

Now I could have moved out and handed the property over by the 31st of July as i wanted to but he insisted the contract required 60 days notice so i scheduled my move date a week after the end of the month to save on the movers. I took his word for it because he never provided me with my copy of the signed contract until recently (regardless of how many times i asked) however the contract only required 30 days not 60. In fact I'm still waiting for the final walkthrough document too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting