Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2014, 07:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,935 times

Advertisements

I have been having problems with my landord I have told him the the neighbor in the same complex hit my truck on purpose and I have a video of it and he said I need to take care of it on my own I also told him that she causes a lot of problems and he talks to her and the next day my place for shot and he says I need to take care of it. Also I told him that the same neighbor keeps taking my parking spaces and he tells me that I need to take care of it on my own . What kan I do or is this somthin that the landord realy doesn't leagaly have a say so
Attached Thumbnails
I need help-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 03:09 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arielshyboy View Post
I have been having problems with my landord I have told him the the neighbor in the same complex hit my truck on purpose and I have a video of it and he said I need to take care of it on my own I also told him that she causes a lot of problems and he talks to her and the next day my place for shot and he says I need to take care of it. Also I told him that the same neighbor keeps taking my parking spaces and he tells me that I need to take care of it on my own . What kan I do or is this somthin that the landord realy doesn't leagaly have a say so

Did you call the police about the person hitting your car? That's who's going to handle it, not your landlord

Do you have assigned parking or just a spot you like to use? If it's assigned then the landlord needs to step in or you can always have her car towed. If it's just a spot you like to use then there's nothing you or the landlord can do

As for the "my place for shot" I have no idea what that means or what you're trying to say. If your unit was shot at, then you need to call the police and inform the landlord. Sounds like you live in classy area.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:24 AM

109 posts, read 554,801 times
Time to call the cops and think hard about moving. What if next time the maniac decided to shoot at you instead of a car? Tread very carefully.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:18 AM

912 posts, read 5,261,975 times
Your landlord is not your nanny, assistant or your butler.

Get the damn police involved asap.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:21 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,913 times
For the life of me, maybe it's because I just woke up, but I cannot figure out what that picture is of??

Old 11-11-2014, 09:35 AM

274 posts, read 427,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
For the life of me, maybe it's because I just woke up, but I cannot figure out what that picture is of??
I "think" its a bullet hole in a window? With a reflection? Or a bullet hole and the window is cracked?

*ponders second cup of coffee*

Old 11-11-2014, 10:47 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
The landlord isn't the ultimate authority. The police and insurance company should have been called in all but the parking space issue. If the parking spots are assigned to your unit for your use, then yes the landlord needs to tell the neighbor to stop parking in your assigned spot. If they want you to handle it, ask them for the towing company number and authorization to call them for a tow next time the neighbor parks in your spot.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:47 PM

4 posts, read 8,609 times
Default Some Ideas About What to Do

You sound like a nice guy. It's my experience that bad stuff does happen to nice people, and I'm always surprised. That's not the way it's supposed to work. Like, why does that lady think she has the right to your parking spot to the point where she's not afraid to damage your car, and she's confident that she'll get away with it.

Here are a few thoughts I had when I read your post: You aren't having problems with the landlord, you're having problems with the female tenant. Try to avoid talking to her or even looking at her. She is obviously wackadoo and has friends with guns who are threatening you. If your landlord has not repaired the damage to your door yet, give him a few days. But I suspect that you may need to keep after him to get it taken care of.

1. Start Keeping a Record of Events: As soon as possible go out and buy a spiral notebook. As well as you can remember, start keeping a record of what has been happening. Put the date of the day the lady hit your car at the top of the page. Then below that write down what you remember happened. Turn the page and put the date you talked to the landlord at the top of the page. Write down what you can remember about the conversation. Every time you talk to someone, like the police, make a record of it. Keep your notebook in a private place. You may need it as evidence in the future.

2. Does the video you took have a date stamp on it for the date and time she hit your vehicle? In the video is it easy to see who is driving? Were you able to videotape her license plate?

A. Important: You need to file a police report regarding the damage to your car in the landlord's parking lot. If you have trouble getting the police to come out, keep calling them on their non-emergency telephone number. When they arrive you tell them what happened but do not give them the videotape because you will need it for the insurance company investigator. Be sure you get a paper copy of the police report about the incident.

B. Insurance company: Are you going to report the damage to your truck to your insurance company? If you do, they will need a copy of the police report. I would tell them that you have a videotape of the incident. You may get a good claims adjuster who will investigate the incident and go after her insurance company to pay for the damage.

3. Apartment Door With Gunshot Hole: it's good that you have a picture.

A. Report the gunshot damage to your apartment door to the police while you are reporting the damage to your car. Get a copy of this report.

B. Make another report to your landlord about the damage and ask him when the door is going to be repaired.

C. Put a curtain over the front door window so that the lady doesn't know if you're in your apartment or where you are in the apartment.

4. Parking: do you have an assigned parking space? Are there any towing signs in the parking lot? If you do have assigned parking, find out from your landlord what towing company he uses, get the number and tow her car from your spot. Since the woman has been pretty aggressive towards you, I believe that she will continue her bad behavior. Another idea is to do nothing. Though I suspect that if the insurance company goes after her she will retaliate.

5. Plan B: Get out of Dodge and find somewhere else to live as soon as possible. Rent a room from someone for a month. Sleep on someone's sofa for a month. But as someone else said, it doesn't seem like a great neighborhood.

6. If you don't move, keep taking notes about what is happening.

Let us know what happens and good luck!

Old 11-13-2014, 12:41 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,853 times
If your parking spot is assigned to you, you can call the cops and them remove the car. At least that's what I did when this happened back when I lived in California.

The cops required two things before they would tow someone from my spot - 1) There had to be a sign in the area saying something like, "Tenant Parking Only", and 2) I had to show them my lease, which had to include a sentence along the lines of, "Parking spot #4 is reserved for this apartment".

As long as they saw those two things, they'd happily tow anyone who parked in that spot at my request.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting