Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2014, 06:25 AM

37 posts, read 103,220 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I found a place to move in Millbrae, California. My credit check went well and owner of property wants me to put down a security deposit to "secure" the place and take it off market. I wont be able to move in until two weeks. What i want to know is

A. When signing the lease and giving the security deposit (same amount as monthly rent), should i get the keys right away even if i am NOT moving in for two weeks and

B. Can the landlord legally deduct two weeks worth from the security deposit to pay for the two weeks i am not living?

I've always rented from Avalon properties and usually pay security deposit, sign lease, and move in all the same day.

I will be seeing the property owner in a couple of days to ask but wanted to see what your thoughts are. Property owner is on vacation now, so I cant contact him in the mean time.

Please help and please, no smart @55 remarks!

Thanks!

Last edited by Hip_Chick54; 11-13-2014 at 06:54 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 06:33 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,417,068 times
Have you asked the landlord these questions? That's the only person who can answer them for you...

And security deposits don't work that way, they are held, in their entirety, until you move out. Damages assessed, then repairs pulled from that money (with a written account of what was spent where given to you within a couple weeks). Given a request for JUST a deposit, it sounds like they are simply going to hold the place for you until you're ready to move in. At that time you pay rent and receive keys... at least that's how I'd do it.

But seriously, this is a question only the property owner can answer for you. Ask them, not us

Old 11-13-2014, 06:52 AM

37 posts, read 103,220 times
I am going to see the property owner in a couple of days but wanted to ask everyone's thoughts. thanks!

Old 11-13-2014, 07:02 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
You pay a holding deposit so the unit is taken off the market until you sign the lease. You start paying rent on the start date of the lease and you don't normally have keys to the property before that start date even if you sign the lease in advance of move-in. The holding deposit is applied to your security deposit once you sign the lease; if you change your mind, the landlord can deduct reasonable costs from that deposit to cover re-advertising.

In the first "sticky" on this forum you'll find a link to CA landlord tenant laws which you should familiarize yourself with. Good luck in your new home!

Old 11-13-2014, 08:01 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times
Agree with others, you start paying rent by the day printed on your lease and when you are in possession of the keys regardless of when you physically move in.

You can ask the landlord to date the lease in two weeks and sign the lease. Then make arrangements to pick up the keys on the day of you moving in. That's common. But they can refuse, then you will have to pay for the rent and leave it empty till you are ready to move in.

Old 11-15-2014, 05:36 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Personally, I would not hold a house for two weeks for free and if I every did, the tenant would not be given the keys so he could start moving in while he wasn't paying rent.

If your landlord is willing to keep an apartment vacant for free for two weeks, you probably won't get the keys until your move in date, when you start paying rent.

But you are not renting from me, so I suggest that you ask your own landlord how he does things. In fact, you should know before you hand over any money, and you really should get a receipt that says how much you paid and what it is for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting