Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2014, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,313 times

Advertisements

First time poster, I apologize if this is the wrong section for this.

I'm currently under a lease agreement until June 12th, 2015 and I would like to discuss leaving on grounds of an uninhabitable apartment and landlord negligence.

The short version of the story is as follows:

Los Angeles (Franklin Village area to be exact, 90068 is the zip)

I moved in on June 12th, 2014 and immediately upon moving in I found out the oven didn't work. It's stated in the contract that they will provide an oven. After 4 months, a free standing oven was installed. However, the old oven that's built into the cabinets was left in. With the installation of the free standing ovens, cabinets and counters in the kitchen were damaged and the landlord has refused to fix this even though it's extremely unaesthetic and I would have never moved in if it looked like that when I checked it out.

I just got off the phone with my landlord to ask if we can break the lease and she says she will let me out on January 31st, 2015 but she will keep the whole deposit ($1,695) for a cleaning crew and to repaint the 2 bedroom apartment which doesn't need repainting at all.

On September 2nd, I called her to let her know of a slight gas smell coming from the old oven. She told me to call the gas company which I did and they shut off a valve that was left on in the old oven. They also checked the wall heater and labeled it a fire hazard and that a piece was broken on it so it doesn't work.

I called her again regarding this and she didn't do anything about it. This past Saturday, she finally sent someone over to clean the oven and fix it. They cleaned it but didn't fix it as they didn't have the part. After I spoke with my landlord today, I'm simply fed up and would like to just leave. I would happily find a new place but I want to make sure nothing can happen to me on a legal basis and I would like to get my deposit back or at least a majority of it.

There have been many other problems and one of the other tenants is actually suing the Landlord for mold/oven not working for 2 years and countless other problems.

Do these conditions fall under the uninhabitable laws of California and allow me to leave without penalty and without giving a notice since it took roughly 3-4 months for the oven to be installed and has been nearly 2 months and the heater is still not working (it hasn't worked at all since I moved in 5 1/2 months ago).

I may meet with a tenant rights lawyer but I need to know if it's even worth it or if I'm screwed until my lease is up.

I have talked to the landlord for a friends apartment where a room just opened up but he can't hold it for long as others are already applying. The landlord loves my friend and my friend has vouched for me that I'm not a problem at all, I simply want whats stated in the lease agreement and if anything is damaged I want the landlord to fix it (if it's their responsibility).

Thank you,

Archie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 03:13 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,570,050 times
The freestanding oven works? Aesthetics as far as the cabinets is not a habitability issue. Just probably looks like hell. What the other tenants are doing or not going, getting or not getting doesn't affect you. Your LL doubts like a slumlord. But your reasons imo aren't a habitability issue. She is fixing your issues ( granted imo half azz repairs)

Old 11-19-2014, 05:58 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,266,071 times
You haven't had hot water for 5.5 months?

That falls under "uninhabitable".

Quote:
A dwelling also may be considered uninhabitable (unlivable) if it substantially lacks any of the following:

Plumbing facilities in good working order, including hot and cold running water, connected to a sewage disposal system.
Quote:
The implied warranty of habitability is not violated merely because the rental unit is not in perfect, aesthetically pleasing condition.
California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs

Old 11-19-2014, 07:50 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,021,767 times
The day after the gas company red tagged the wall heater, you should have sent a certified letter to the landlord demanding the repair of the wall heater that the utility company deemed a "fire hazard"! Next you should have been on the phone to the fire marshal's or building department about the "fire hazard" within your unit. If you are going to start claiming habitability issues, you better understand the steps required. Get that letter in the mail tomorrow!; not Friday, not Saturday and not next week; Tomorrow!

Old 11-19-2014, 07:56 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,091,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
You haven't had hot water for 5.5 months?

That falls under "uninhabitable".

California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs
So does the wall heater if the property has no other heat. Read that link Sawdustmaker posted, it will explain what you have to do.

Edit to add: This additional page in the table of contents explains your options in regard to an uninhabitable apartment. http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/l.../repairs.shtml

Last edited by CptnRn; 11-19-2014 at 08:09 PM..

Old 11-20-2014, 04:40 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,570,050 times
Sorry I reread your post. My mistake I confused the heater as your neighbors issues .Your furnace not working falls under uninhabitable. But have you put your repairs in writing? If it's all verbal she can simply deny that you complained. Even if you leave and your deposit should be rightfully returned I'm betting that you'll have to take legal action to get your money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting