Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 04:37 PM

57 posts, read 75,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
So this time, you're not speaking with the super or calling the landlord for what is clearly an emergency situation? Because by not taking any action to let them know immediately that there's significant damage occurring and knowing they probably won't get your letter for a number of days while the damage gets worse, you're somehow covering your butt against the management getting upset? This makes no sense whatsoever.
Um actually the super knows. He is suppose to come this week and check or so he says but judging from past experience, I doubt he will come. Today, he did not come.

Anyhow, management already want all matters to be resolved through super first and then come to them. I did the decency to do both because the super and management are great at bouncing the ball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 04:39 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyandLazy View Post
Um actually the super knows. He is suppose to come this week and check or so he says but judging from past experience, I doubt he will come. Today, he did not come.
Well it sounds as though you went through the chain of command so sending the letter was absolutely the right thing to do to follow up and document the issue.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:30 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
Quote:

Anyhow, management already want all matters to be resolved through super first and then come to them. I did the decency to do both because the super and management are great at bouncing the ball.
Which is what I said...do both. If you hadn't tried calling the super and ONLY sent the letter, that'd be a problem with most responsible landlords. If your landlord isn't being responsible, then yes, you need to cover your fanny, and both a call to the super and a letter to the landlord is the correct thing to do.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Which is what I said...do both. If you hadn't tried calling the super and ONLY sent the letter, that'd be a problem with most responsible landlords. If your landlord isn't being responsible, then yes, you need to cover your fanny, and both a call to the super and a letter to the landlord is the correct thing to do.
Well I spoke with the super in person twice. My sister also spoke with the super showing pictures take from her phone. Still no visits from him. He did not come to look on both Sat and Sunday.

I sent the letter and USPS apparently tried delivering on a Saturday. Now the tracking says it is ready for pickup . These little annoyances are quite something. I paid $11 to mail in something and the post office can't mail it

Nevermind. Got it sorted with USPS. I have never been so miserable with renting.

Last edited by CrazyandLazy; 11-24-2014 at 12:56 PM..

Old 11-25-2014, 03:00 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Well I spoke with the super in person twice. My sister also spoke with the super showing pictures take from her phone. Still no visits from him. He did not come to look on both Sat and Sunday.

I sent the letter and USPS apparently tried delivering on a Saturday. Now the tracking says it is ready for pickup . These little annoyances are quite something. I paid $11 to mail in something and the post office can't mail it

Nevermind. Got it sorted with USPS. I have never been so miserable with renting.

Keep all your documentation. Pictures, proof of mailing etc.. That why they can't say you ignored the issues and never reported it.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Keep all your documentation. Pictures, proof of mailing etc.. That why they can't say you ignored the issues and never reported it.
Yeah. The Super is pissed though. I saw him this morning and he asked why. I told him and he did not have anything "real" to say. Told me he's the one who keeps all the records not me and he's the one who suggests to Management what to deduct from deposit when I leave.

I feel bad but I just don't want to risk it. My gut told me it was the right thing to do because a few months back we had another leak from our bath tub's faucet and it took him 3 months just to do anything. He ignored it when I had pointed it out. It caused a leak for another tenant downstairs.

The drama. I come home and the place literally feels like it is going to crumble any day now.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Yeah. The Super is pissed though. I saw him this morning and he asked why. I told him and he did not have anything "real" to say. Told me he's the one who keeps all the records not me and he's the one who suggests to Management what to deduct from deposit when I leave.
So who cares about his feelings. The correct way to address any maintenance issues is to put them in writing. If you present them orally then just follow up with a simple email so you have a paper trail and, if things are really bad and aren't being taken care of, send a confirming RRC letter. If the "Super" gets his knickers in a twist that's his problem - covering yourself is the objective.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
So who cares about his feelings. The correct way to address any maintenance issues is to put them in writing. If you present them orally then just follow up with a simple email so you have a paper trail and, if things are really bad and aren't being taken care of, send a confirming RRC letter. If the "Super" gets his knickers in a twist that's his problem - covering yourself is the objective.
What's an RRC letter?

I felt bad from how he spoke to me about it. It felt like I backstabbed him or something. I don't have any anxiety anymore though so I guess it is good in the end. Before I was worrying about losing money since there were some red flags from my gut

Old 11-25-2014, 11:35 AM

Return receipt certified.

Old 11-25-2014, 03:23 PM

oh silly me

Yeah I think did that. Never had done it before. Certified mail with return receipt cause I don't want to get the blame if the ceiling caved in lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting