Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2015, 03:37 PM

10 posts, read 26,094 times

Advertisements

My family and I live in a rental that is basically falling apart. The first issue was right after we moved in we had a hurricane that caused flooding . There was a damaged carpet , warped doors , mold and our belongings were damaged in the basement . We tried our best to clean it and he said to please use a dehumidifier and we shouldn't worry about it ! The railings to our entrance were broken and the storm door broken. We really like the block and decided to just not use the basement . Landlord in the summer did a walk through and noted no electricity in dining area and upstairs bathroom .He noted that some outlets no longer worked. There is old ceiling paint chipping and we repainted . He said he will be fixing attic windows ,,the cause of chipping paint and will fix electric.we can not use one of our bathrooms.
. We waited and it never happened. He called us in December to do another walk through . He still saw that numerous things have not been fixed. He raised our rent ,Now 2900 dollars and told us a small tree had to be cut down and heavy pickup out of garage. He told us to repaint ceiling .We told him that the washer and dryer needs to be fixed. The point of this is that he has never fixed anything .We have always tried to maintain the home and tell him only what we truly need.. We told him about everything and instead he just give us directions to fix things or we can leave. He sent us a certified letter that we have to fix things that he should fix. Cut down a small tree!He changed our yearly lease to a month to month. He is going to do another walkthough in March. Now, there are no rentals in this town and my kids are in the school district. I will have to spend money on a realtors fee if a house can become available and moving expenses. He also has two months security and will probably claim that the basement flooding from the hurricane , the electric and all the failings of this house will be used with my security. So, I do not want to let him keep my security and spend thousands moving ...I also can't live in a house that the previous renters are telling me he just band aids everything. It is unfair to have to go to the laundromat, have all these little things unusable and paying so much .The outside of the house is becoming an eyesore with chipping paint .He promised he would paint in the summer .I want to leave but What can I do ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 03:56 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
Suggest you carefully read your state landlord tenant laws which you'll find linked in the first "sticky" on this forum as everything that shouldn't be done seems to have been done in this case and no attention has been paid either by you or your landlord as to what your state requires of the landlord tenant relationship.

Your landlord cannot arbitrarily change a term lease to a month to month until the term has expired - did you agree to this?

Read your state laws as this sounds like a total mess - and when you've finished reading you may need an attorney to sort out everything. Good luck.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:25 PM

13,929 posts, read 39,306,840 times
Me thinks this Stinks! I betting he does not have insurance OR he does got it spent it on himself NOW trying to get you to fix his home. I suggest you do as SST said but find out how Fast you can Leave this Dead beet Slumlord! & he can fix is own house! UNLESS your a weather Witch & Conjoured up the Storm! hehehehe

Old 01-28-2015, 05:46 PM

21 posts, read 20,797 times
He can't change your year lease to month to month unless the year lease term expired. What did your lease say about repairs? The landlord can't require you to repair anything that is his responsibility by law, but the two of you can agree in the lease on repair of items that are not habitability issues (by law his responsibility). What did you sign? Look to your local and state laws, and your lease to sort out what he can ask that you do and what you can ask that he do. Make sure you put any repair requests to the landlord in writing.

If you are still in the lease term, your landlord cannot raise the rent unless your lease allows charges for increases in utilities and services that are included.

If any of the repairs affect habitability, look up your states information on repair and deduct.

This sounds like a mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting