Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2022, 07:11 AM

13 posts, read 13,397 times

Advertisements

I recently planned and saved for an extensive ~3 month trip to explore some international places I'm considering relocating to.

Last year when I resigned my lease (for the 3rd time), we made a written agreement that with 2 months notice, I could break the lease without penalty. I also assured her I'd let her know ASAP if I knew prior to 3 months. Fair enough, and allowed me to move when I was ready.

This year, the landlord "approved" of my trip and wished me luck. About a week later, she informed me that it would run past lease renewal time, and that if I am not here to vacate, she will assume the lease is signed and I'm stuck another year.

Aside from being frustrating, is there anything I ought to do about this? Seems quite unfair that she's 100% for my trip (and I gave her my itinerary), and now says it will basically force me to stay unless I causally fly back from Europe in the middle of the anniversary of my girlfriend and I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2022, 07:46 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,340,217 times
My tenants and I always do lease renewals digitally. Your LL can email you the pdf of the renewal and you can print, sign, scan and email it back. On the renewal, I offer my tenants three choices: renewal at same term, renewal at 60-day to 60-day term, and non-renewal. Of course, the shorter term renewal has a higher rent amount. Perhaps discuss all this with your Landlord.

Old 01-20-2022, 08:35 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Your lease renewal is in the Middle of your 3-month trip.... Then sign since you can't move if you're not here. LL does not want to store your stuff. IMO you are not being fair to LL. Why didn't you go months ago? She said OK cause she thought you be back before renewal.

Old 01-20-2022, 09:20 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
OK, are you leaving all your stuff in the rentals? If so, you are still a tenant. You can sign the new lease before you leave on your vacation, or else you can clear all of your stuff out and put it into storage so the rental is empty at the end of the lease which you do not wish to renew,

You can't really expect your landlord to supply free storage if you are not wanting to be a tenant and at the end of your lease, you landlord no longer wants you in there unless you renew the lease. If you don't either sign or get out, your landlord can evict you as being an over-stay. So get it settled before you leave on vacation.

You want to move out as soon as you get home from vacation, so try to arrange to have your current lease extended for a month or two, which will be at a higher rate because month to month costs more than a lease.

Old 01-20-2022, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Your lease renewal is in the Middle of your 3-month trip.... Then sign since you can't move if you're not here. LL does not want to store your stuff. IMO you are not being fair to LL. Why didn't you go months ago? She said OK cause she thought you be back before renewal.
Why do you forum people always think the poster is the *******?

She agreed that this was fine, then changed her mind a week later.

And no, before your forum self "Katie" assumes that I think she'll just hold my stuff, we have a written agreement that I can give 2 months notice (and rent) to break the lease, knowing I want to move at some point soon. It was a generous offer.

And no, you assumed yet again. She has a copy of my itinerary showing that I'll be back nearly a month after the lease is up.

Old 01-20-2022, 09:48 AM

Mods please close this thread. Your forum people are reading over all the key details here.

I am stressed enough about this without forum people bending the truth against me.

Old 01-20-2022, 09:57 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,830,689 times
So for fear of "bending the truth" as you say, lets work to clear up some confusion.

Are you saying you expect the landlord to keep your stuff in the home past your renewal date? Why can't you move out before your trip and store your stuff in a storage unit? Or is that the issue, that the landlord won't let you break it before your trip?

Old 01-20-2022, 10:19 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
The issue is that your current lease and any amendments ends at renewal so whatever agreement you had terminates with that lease. The best you can do is see if they would agree to a new amendment. At worst, you take your chances on the early termination of the lease. What does the lease say about early termination (and as it relates to state landlord tenant laws)?

Old 01-20-2022, 10:57 AM

828 posts, read 415,381 times
So what you have is you can break the lease with just 2 months notice. And they have to honor that thru the lease.

But they have the right to not renew. So now she is saying they will terminate the lease at renewal unless you agree to new terms.
I can see where you think this maybe unfair. But the lease and other things can change.

And of course you would have to pay if you have any things there. Since you have not vacated the place. Sounds like maybe you dont want to pay even if you have not vacated the place.

Old 01-20-2022, 11:39 AM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,818 times
Either renew lease before you go, or terminate lease, move your stuff into storage and pay out lease/early term as your lease states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting