Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 10:18 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post

A tough state, you never want to terminate early, landlords within Texas law with charges and not required to negotiate.

http://texastenant.org/termination.html ... Texas law now requires landlords to attempt to locate another tenant to take over your lease (called a duty to mitigate). ...
But Texas landlords are required to make every effort to mitigate their damages as the link you provided notes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 11:01 AM

18 posts, read 35,384 times
its on my credit report as an open collection reported by the collection agency but the apartment complex is named on the report as the original creditor.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
File personal bankruptcy.....This judgement can be discharged, as it appears to be an unsecured debt. Speak to a local bankruptcy attorney, try to find a free consult, immediately.

Bankruptcy is the only protection I know of for this type situation...they can eventually choose to garnish your wages as long as that judgement is active.

I am not an attorney, and this is not legal advice....however I did the paperwork for a bankruptcy attorney for many years....Bankruptcy is a viable option for your situation as you've stated it here, imo.
Do you have anyidea how long it will take to be in bankruptcy status and if/what it would cost... I assume there are fees associated with making it officially known publicly that you are broke... uhg

Old 01-24-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
So you ignored the debt for 5 years because it didn't really affect you but now the bad credit IS affecting you and you want to know how to clear it up? It's a moot point but if you'd made arrangements to pay off the debt little by little over the past five years you'd be free and clear by now. Contact the collection agency and negotiate a lesser amount and payments to clear it as this is going to follow you for years to come.
I did not ignore the debt, I was unable to pay 20k after a rough few years I am finally getting back on my feet and I want to be as independent as possible with all my bills in my name.

But yeah, sure I you could see it the other way too, if you would like.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:36 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
But Texas landlords are required to make every effort to mitigate their damages as the link you provided notes.
My takes a bit different; its the tenants responsibility to work with the LL for resolution, if that doesn't occur, there's nothing to mitigate and charges stand.

The highlighted isn't clear:

If you make a deal, get the agreement (referred to legally as a release) in writing to prove you are no longer responsible under the lease. A form agreement is provided in the forms section. You should at least give the landlord notice of your intentions, because you will receive credit for any rents they collect from a new tenant on your place after you move out.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
My takes a bit different; its the tenants responsibility to work with the LL for resolution, if that doesn't occur, there's nothing to mitigate and charges stand.

The highlighted isn't clear:

If you make a deal, get the agreement (referred to legally as a release) in writing to prove you are no longer responsible under the lease. A form agreement is provided in the forms section. You should at least give the landlord notice of your intentions, because you will receive credit for any rents they collect from a new tenant on your place after you move out.
I'm not sure what you mean. This link explains TX duty to mitigate which is the norm in most states which require landlord mitigation:

Renter's Rights Breaking a Lease in Texas | Nolo.com

Old 01-24-2015, 01:47 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Quote:
Good suggestion. Bankruptcy shouldn't effect ability to rent. If she doesn't file, eventually they will attach wages.

A tough state, you never want to terminate early, landlords within Texas law with charges and not required to negotiate.

http://texastenant.org/termination.html
Consequences for terminating without excuse
If a tenant does not have a legal excuse for terminating early, a tenant can be held responsible for the remaining rental payments under the lease.
GEEZ! I thought my landlord was tough. If you move out early, they keep your security (2 months of rent) and then get to charge you 2 months of rent according to the terms of the lease. This is in NY.

But the whole term of the lease? That's insane! And pretty heartless to actually carry out against someone who lost a job. I've never heard of that. But then again, I'm not a big fan of Texas as a state in general.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:08 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redheadditdfw View Post
its on my credit report as an open collection reported by the collection agency but the apartment complex is named on the report as the original creditor.
First, contact the collection agency and ask for Proof of the Debt.

Another question: Have you EVER in the past or when incurred communicated with the landlord or collection agency about this debt? To be honest, if you were basically not being proactive with this debt (for whatever reason) and have not been trying to resolve this, you have placed yourself in a very VERY difficult situation. It's not impossible to fix, but will be difficult.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
GEEZ! I thought my landlord was tough. If you move out early, they keep your security (2 months of rent) and then get to charge you 2 months of rent according to the terms of the lease. This is in NY.

But the whole term of the lease? That's insane! And pretty heartless to actually carry out against someone who lost a job. I've never heard of that. But then again, I'm not a big fan of Texas as a state in general.
Your lease is cut and dried and, in accordance with NY state landlord tenant laws, specifies what is essentially a lease break fee. However, the question of mitigating damages in NY is a little less clearcut than in other states and you can read about it here:

Renter's Rights Breaking a Lease in New York | Nolo.com

Nor are state laws which demand the LL mitigate his damages "insane" by any stretch. In those states (most states in fact) the LL is mandated to make every effort to re-rent the apartment. However, if he is unable to do so, the departing tenant who has broken their lease is liable to pay for the rest of the lease term. If there weren't penalties involved in breaking a lease, why would a lease even be entered into? It's a contract and, if it's broken, there are penalties. That's landlord tenant law 101.

As far as landlords being "heartless" if a tenant loses his job, landlording is a business not a charitable enterprise.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:14 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
In Texas, the landlord has a duty to mitigate their damages. It does not require cooperation of the abandoning tenant; it is the landlords legal requirement if they are going to pursue a claim for financial damages. Now, the courts have issued conflicting opinions as to when that duty starts and what constitutes reasonable and customary mitigation steps, but they are consistent that a landlord must mitigate. Mitigation waivers are also illegal under Texas law so a tenant can never agree for a landlord not to mitigate damages. Hope this clarifies the confusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting