Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 03:37 PM

19 posts, read 23,121 times

Advertisements

It's exactly what Annie53 said above recently...that bank I went to once....it has bars on it's teller windows. Very bad area. We wouldn't go to that area normally.

They don't both travel they have grade school age children. Someone mentioned travel as a difficulty to mailing the check to them.

If I were handling a property with tenants, I think I'd get a p.o. box and tell them to mail it. Even if it was all in the same community. I wouldn't even want them to know my physical address, LOL!

Yeah, we absolutely avoid all confrontations at all costs.
My husband will ask them, I just thought I'd ask here first for feedback. He's busier than I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 03:49 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrus Splash View Post
And again, "asking" is not "confrontation".

Old 03-31-2015, 04:28 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
And again, "asking" is not "confrontation".

I totally agree! Why do people think that having a simple conversation is a 'confrontation'?

Op...call your landlord and talk to them. It's not really that hard...just pick up the phone and say "I'd like to discuss mailing the rent check with you....." Personally going to someone else's bank once a month isn't a big deal to me...however, to some people it's the end of the world.

Bars on the tellers windows? It's a bank....there's going to be security measures like that....doesn't mean it's a 'bad area'. My bank doesn't have bars (newer building) but it does have bullet proof glass with two tiny holes in which you conduct your business...and it's in a safe area of town.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:10 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
It's exactly what Annie53 said above recently...that bank I went to once....it has bars on it's teller windows. Very bad area. We wouldn't go to that area normally.

They don't both travel they have grade school age children. Someone mentioned travel as a difficulty to mailing the check to them.

If I were handling a property with tenants, I think I'd get a p.o. box and tell them to mail it. Even if it was all in the same community. I wouldn't even want them to know my physical address, LOL!

My husband will ask them, I just thought I'd ask here first for feedback. He's busier than I am.
Remember to make sure YOU don't schedule YOUR vacation when it is time to hand deliver your rent to the bank. LOL

Funny, people are dissing you because you don't want to jump in the car and drive down to the bank, yet, no one faults the landlord for not wanting your rent check sent to his home because he doesn't want to make a trip to the bank, burning up his time and gas.

I guess landlords are special.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post

Funny, people are dissing you because you don't want to jump in the car and drive down to the bank, yet, no one faults the landlord for not wanting your rent check sent to his home because he doesn't want to make a trip to the bank, burning up his time and gas.
We must be reading different threads. Nobody has "dissed" the OP and only two posters have gently opined that the OP should do as the LL asks ...

Old 03-31-2015, 06:34 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
We must be reading different threads. Nobody has "dissed" the OP and only two posters have gently opined that the OP should do as the LL asks ...
Quote:
THAT is the simplest way to deal with this non issue that you have made an
issue.

Quote:
.......however, to some people it's the end of the world.
"Gently opined"?

Old 03-31-2015, 07:14 AM

Point made - two mildly worded posts.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:00 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post

Bars on the tellers windows? It's a bank....there's going to be security measures like that....doesn't mean it's a 'bad area'. My bank doesn't have bars (newer building) but it does have bullet proof glass with two tiny holes in which you conduct your business...and it's in a safe area of town.
I've personally never been to a bank anywhere in my city that had either bars or bullet proof glass, and I go to between 12 and 16 different banks every month for my job (different bank companies, not just different branches of the same bank). They all just have a counter, with tellers on the other side of the counter. But I'm in one of the safest medium sized cities in the country. I'd feel very uncomfortable in a bank with bars on the teller window, because it is completely outside of normal for me.

My point is that while these procedures are common in big cities on the coasts, for much of the country, they are not, and bars on the teller window could very well indicate a less safe part of town.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:36 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Unless you have cash, there's no reason to drive to the bank to make the deposit. Mail the deposit to the bank.

Why would have choose to drive to the bank when you can mail the deposit (via check) directly to the bank? Why isn't this solved already. Several people already suggested this method.

Why won't this work?

Old 03-31-2015, 05:59 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
but instead deposited into the landlords bank of choice by us in person each month.

Not our bank, not convenient to us....(they live out of state). There's a branch here...at a distance not in a good area.

Isn't that odd? I just want to mail the check to them, they have given us their out of state address...why should I waste my time driving to their bank when I don't want to?? They seem to be first time landlords who couldn't sell their house. It's a nice house and we're happy to rent it.

Should we just mail it to them like 3 weeks early so they can process it by the first. (taking it to their bank of choice when it's convenient to them).

My husband thinks maybe we should drive around monthly depositing it like they want? Again, a branch not convenient to us?? We are very busy and don't have time to do this easily. Kids, activities, jobs...

What do you think? What would you do? They just sprung this on us...last minute. I want to get it cleared up right away but am I being unreasonable to mail it to them? Thanks much. They used a realtor to rent the house but are not really using a property management company, just the realtor helping them...sort of. Husband was wishy washy and didn't tell them yes or no when speaking in person with them. I was not there in person, or this wouldn't have been an issue.

Anything in the lease about method of payment?

EDIT: I see that you later said the lease did not specify method of payment. In this case it is just a matter of what you think a good relationship with the landlord is worth, and how well you can negotiate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting