Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 01:17 PM

8 posts, read 7,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
The owner. As long as you were not shown to be negligent. Like leaving a bunch of tennis balls or marbles out where someone can trip on them.

But let me ask you this. You just moved in (assuming) on a year lease correct?
Yes, just moved in 2.5 months ago with a one year lease. They are now listing the house for sale. I just sold our home in CA and am renting because I wasn't sure if we wanted to buy here and didn't want to go through selling another home with 2 young kids and 2 dogs. We were not informed prior to leasing our home that it would be put up for sale and I do not feel like I should have to make it spotless for them to sell. But then I worry about liability due to kids toys out, drapes hung at the top and bottom of a stairwell to block out noise for my husband who works from home. Obviously, we have renters insurance and are liable for our own guests but these are people I do not want in my home and we're not invited by me. If they fall and break an arm, I don't think I should have to bear any of the burden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 01:47 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
If we have an owner put a house on the market during a tenant's occupancy, we give our tenants $10 off the rent for every showing that they have to accommodate as long as they can provide the name and phone number of the agent who showed it. If the agent reports that the house was not in showable condition, the $10 is not given.

If you are currently in a lease, than any buyer would have to either buy you out or else honor all terms of your lease. They can't kick you out just because they sold the house.

As for your original question, I agree that it depends on what caused the injury. Keep the house all cleaned up and report any maintenance hazards to the landlord (frayed carpet that might be a trip hazard, for example).

Also, make sure you stash your jewelry and medications. Those are the most commonly taken items in showings, because they are easily stuck in pockets while the agent has their back turned, or stashed when the client needs to use the restroom. I wish I could assure you that everyone who looks at your house will be honest, since they have an agent with them, but that isn't real life. In real life, people can be sneaky bastards.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:33 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMama View Post
Yes, just moved in 2.5 months ago with a one year lease. They are now listing the house for sale. I just sold our home in CA and am renting because I wasn't sure if we wanted to buy here and didn't want to go through selling another home with 2 young kids and 2 dogs. We were not informed prior to leasing our home that it would be put up for sale and I do not feel like I should have to make it spotless for them to sell. But then I worry about liability due to kids toys out, drapes hung at the top and bottom of a stairwell to block out noise for my husband who works from home. Obviously, we have renters insurance and are liable for our own guests but these are people I do not want in my home and we're not invited by me. If they fall and break an arm, I don't think I should have to bear any of the burden.
Since no notice was given, have you asked them to release you from the contract without penalty and consider moving? I would in your shoes.

If not, does your lease say anything about having to show the property and with notice etc?

Old 04-06-2015, 02:48 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
If not, does your lease say anything about having to show the property and with notice etc?
That's covered by state landlord tenant law.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:04 PM

203 posts, read 327,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
If we have an owner put a house on the market during a tenant's occupancy, we give our tenants $10 off the rent for every showing that they have to accommodate as long as they can provide the name and phone number of the agent who showed it. If the agent reports that the house was not in showable condition, the $10 is not given
Seriously... $10? The people you rent to must be dirt poor for them to actually put in the effort for that amount. They aren't your middle-school-age children.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
That's covered by state landlord tenant law.
I thought if it was spelled out in the lease, the lease terms would apply over state laws?

Old 04-06-2015, 03:38 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
I thought if it was spelled out in the lease, the lease terms would apply over state laws?
Just the opposite; State LAW trumps lease provisions.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Just the opposite; State LAW trumps lease provisions.
I had to go back and research it, and only if there's a conflict is what I was thinking of.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:59 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Only if it's not contrary to state law. Let's say state law mandates you give 24 hours of landlord entry or showing the property. You could say in your lease that you'll give 48 hours notice and that's legally binding between the parties but you can't stipulate 12 hours because state law trumps.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:31 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNR417303 View Post
Seriously... $10? The people you rent to must be dirt poor for them to actually put in the effort for that amount. They aren't your middle-school-age children.
$10 per showing. Usually the first few days, you get 90% of the showings. So you clean up the house and keep it clean for 3 days, and have 15 showings, and take $150 off your rent for cleaning the house basically once. Our tenants have always found it reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting