Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 04:21 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalswife View Post
No, no background check. I inherited this mishegas from a family member. The family member relied on the tenant-manager to fill the vacant units.
Nice. So did you file for the eviction today? Not sure what you're waiting for.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 02:02 PM

32,655 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
......... not wait until he vacates because then his whereabouts will be unknown?
Most jurisdictions will serve the notice for you for a fee. Usually not too much, maybe an extra $30. The sheriff then serves the notice on the tenant. The sheriff has ways to locate your tenant that you can not access.

Eviction filing papers that I've seen have had a place to put how much the tenant owes you. I suggest that you go down to your local courthouse and ask for a copy of the paperwork that you will need to file in order to evict. Just reading the forms will give you a much better idea of what to expect.

Evictions are usually on a scheduled day, perhaps every Wednesday. Find out when eviction hearings are being held and go sit in court for the day and listen. Then, nothing about the procedure will be new to you, nor a mystery.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:56 AM

461 posts, read 667,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Nice. So did you file for the eviction today? Not sure what you're waiting for.....
You betcha!

Old 04-08-2015, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Evictions are usually on a scheduled day, perhaps every Wednesday. Find out when eviction hearings are being held and go sit in court for the day and listen. Then, nothing about the procedure will be new to you, nor a mystery.
Good idea.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:08 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
You betcha!

Good job! Great to hear this! Next time don't wait so long!!

Old 04-08-2015, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Good job! Great to hear this! Next time don't wait so long!!
Not my idea to wait at all. I use a PM and the company policy is to issue a 3-day notice if rent is not paid by the 3rd of month. They don't start evictions until the 15th of the month. I'm still learning my way around the LL business, but my patience is growing thin with this company. Plus the tenants are getting hostile to the point where hubs doesn't want me to go the property without him. If the PM had gone forward with the evictions last month I would be 30 days ahead on getting them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting