Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2016, 08:13 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimegusta View Post
The building where I live with my cat has been sold and the new owner is asking tenants to leave. I have begun the search for another apartment, and have found the situation for pet owners has just gotten worse since I last looked. I would estimate that 1% of rentals accept pets of any kind.

I liken this to discrimination, in this instance against pet owners. It's a practise that cannot be fought since pets are considered "property" . I'm surprised the animal rights people haven't got a hold of this issue, after all aren't we all "animals".

Have your cat classified as a "Support pet". As of now you can't be refused. You need to pay around $250 and get a vest which is about $65.

Every place I rented from has a nonrefundable pet deposit. Even if your animal causes no issues you don't get that money back. So if a landlord owns 10 units, charges them all pet deposits but only half of the tenants leave damage behind wouldn't the landlord come out even unless there was some major damage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 08:28 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post

Every place I rented from has a nonrefundable pet deposit. Even if your animal causes no issues you don't get that money back. So if a landlord owns 10 units, charges them all pet deposits but only half of the tenants leave damage behind wouldn't the landlord come out even unless there was some major damage?
You've never been a homeowner and actually paid for home repairs, right? It's either that or you math stinks.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:50 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Yes I have been a homeowner but my husband did most of the repairs. Yeah, I suck at anything other than simple math but I can balance my checkbook to the penny. :-)

Old 08-28-2016, 09:30 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Have your cat classified as a "Support pet". As of now you can't be refused. You need to pay around $250 and get a vest which is about $65.

You'll simply be denied on other grounds if the LL doesn't want pets. And if you bring in the pet later you can bet the LL won't renew the lease.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:36 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:

And this is just exactly like people who cry "allergy" when they have no such thing and are just jumping on a bandwagon and/or wanting to control others from having or doing things they don't like.

What's the problem? That makes it MUCH harder for those who truly do need such animals to be taken seriously, because of the scam artists out there (and that is exactly what someone who pays for a mail order letter in order to get around no pet regulations is, and everyone knows it). Shame on you for encouraging it.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:37 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You'll simply be denied on other grounds if the LL doesn't want pets. And if you bring in the pet later you can bet the LL won't renew the lease.
Yeah, I didn't even want to respond or repeat that support pet suggestion. Such a bad idea on so many, many levels. To say nothing of dishonest and insulting to true assistance animals!

Old 08-28-2016, 09:47 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Have your cat classified as a "Support pet". As of now you can't be refused. You need to pay around $250 and get a vest which is about $65.........
And be so proud of yourself to pretend to be handicapped just to get special privileges? People like you make life very difficult for the truly handicapped who genuinely need a service or support animal. So, you'd also write yourself a fake handicapped placard just so you can park in that nice spot close to the store? Let the guy in the wheelchair park out in the weeds becasue you've taken his handicapped spot?

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Old 08-28-2016, 02:29 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Yeah, I didn't even want to respond or repeat that support pet suggestion. Such a bad idea on so many, many levels. To say nothing of dishonest and insulting to true assistance animals!
The thing is I've rented to people who were truly disabled and to people that had pets. I just don't like being lied to.

Old 08-28-2016, 02:33 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,528 times
Roomate's dog's bathhroom inside apt.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:11 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,373,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
That's only one of the many problems in that situation.

Unauthorized tenants, boyfriends, ex-boyfriends ........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting