Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 10:20 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by key2success View Post
it may sound good and correct but if it is not on the lease the LL has to go away and leave it alone
The mother and daughter are not on the lease either. Would it be fair for the LL to tell the tenants to just have them go away and leave things alone? I'm sure the OP wouldn't like that, so if they are going to make changes to the lease in regards to their rental's occupants, I think its perfectly fine for the LL to also make some changes. Especially if the LL is paying utilities. The LL shouldn't have to pay for extra people using their utilities if it wasn't agreed upon when the tenant first moved in. The LL is probably also hoping that the extra charges will discourage the OP from having a revolving door of friends and family staying in their rental.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 08:45 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Sorry, OP. You can not rent a place, telling the landlord it will just be you, and then start moving in all your relatives.

That rental is only for the people on the lease. You don't get to move in all the people you want to have live with you. You are lucky that the landlord agreed to let them stay for additional rent instead of giving you notice to have them move out or you would be evicted.

Incidentally, don't count on a good landlord reference. I just rejected an applicant when I learned she had moved in her daughter and granddaughter without permission where she is now, and that is why she was given notice to move. That cost her her current place and it cost her my nice rental that she really wanted, too. I don't want tenants who can't follow the rules and neither does the landlord who just kicked her out.

You might want to think really hard before you act. If you cause a stink about the illegal apartment, the city only gives you a couple of days to move out, and with a bad landlord reference, you'll have trouble finding a new place to live. Believe me, the result will not be that you can move in all the extra people for the same rent.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:48 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
2 adult women will use a LOT of water.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:35 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Sorry, OP. You can not rent a place, telling the landlord it will just be you, and then start moving in all your relatives.

That rental is only for the people on the lease. You don't get to move in all the people you want to have live with you. You are lucky that the landlord agreed to let them stay for additional rent instead of giving you notice to have them move out or you would be evicted.

Incidentally, don't count on a good landlord reference. I just rejected an applicant when I learned she had moved in her daughter and granddaughter without permission where she is now, and that is why she was given notice to move. That cost her her current place and it cost her my nice rental that she really wanted, too. I don't want tenants who can't follow the rules and neither does the landlord who just kicked her out.

You might want to think really hard before you act. If you cause a stink about the illegal apartment, the city only gives you a couple of days to move out, and with a bad landlord reference, you'll have trouble finding a new place to live. Believe me, the result will not be that you can move in all the extra people for the same rent.

this ^^

When I read the Op I thought the same exact thing. Here is a tenant who wants to move half the neighborhood in and expects the landlord to turn a blind eye.

Water isn't the issue here....it's the fact that the lease is for two people (Im assuming) and now she wants to move two more in. Those two, if legally allowed in the unit, need to be approved by the landlord. That means applications, credit checks, income verification and background check.

You can't just move someone in because you want to. In my last complex three of my neighbors evicted for doing this. The moved 6 people into a two bedroom unit..it didn't take long for management to find out.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:01 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
We don't allow any other people to stay longer than 14 days or we need to approve them.

Either a place is legal and you stay or it is illegal and you move out. Staying and then trying to avoid paying for a claim of illegal rental is BS and a judge will see right through you.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:17 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
We don't allow any other people to stay longer than 14 days or we need to approve them.

Either a place is legal and you stay or it is illegal and you move out. Staying and then trying to avoid paying for a claim of illegal rental is BS and a judge will see right through you.

Amen!!!!!!!

I hate when people pull that ****.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:16 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
It is like Judge Judy always says "either you don't eat the steak and give it back or you eat it and you pay for it".

That is a clear statement that any person should remember.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:31 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times
You lied to the LL, and shortly after moving in added TWO additional residents and they should just accept it? I love people in denial.

Also dumb LL for not having this in the lease. I charge $150 extra, you are getting off cheap!

Old 06-15-2015, 09:14 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
I just moved from Oregon to Ohio. I rented in Portland and am renting in Cleveland. In each city my leases clearly stated that I and only I was on the lease and the legal occupant of the apartment. In Portland, wherever I rented my leases always stated that anyone having occupancy over 14 days must be cleared through the building owner. I had a friend stay for a week and my LL actually asked her how long she intended to stay when she first arrived.

I don't remember seeing a 14 day limit on guests in my lease for my Cleveland apartment but the signed agreement that I am to be the only one to live here would cover that issue. I will have to check on that. In any case, I wouldn't move people in behind the manger's back. Heck, even though cats were allowed, I told her when I was getting one.

The point is, the OP should look up the rules in her city and state in whatever landlord/tenant rules might prevail. I think that even though there might not be anything specific in her lease about adding people, the fact that it was signed for her and her alone to live there is enough to warrant a new lease being signed if she brings in other people to occupy the apartment. And a new lease means a rent increase. I think that's fair seeing as how more people cause more wear and tear on the apartment and additional cost for use of utilities.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:16 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,680,255 times
Continue to pay your rent, and if you need to take them to court. Check your landlord-tenant laws and find out if it is illegal. If so you have a great case. But please don't withhold rent, that is a mistake. Don't give the landlord an excuse.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting