Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 03:00 PM

8,245 posts, read 3,500,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassie99 View Post
Another question. The application only asked for my last 2 places of residence, which I gave. Can he even go back five years ago and talk to his WIFE about me, then deny me an apartment based on that? That can't be legal.
If his wife was so bad as a landlord, do you really think he'd be much better? You may be better off not renting from him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 03:04 PM

135 posts, read 258,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
If his wife was so bad as a landlord, do you really think he'd be much better? You may be better off not renting from him.
I don't want to rent from him. I just want to know if what he did was legal, and if his lie made me accuse my landlord erroneously.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:16 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,315,008 times
Stop stressing about it There is no way to tell who lying. UNLESS you here this from other LL you apply to. Keep looking & keep applying. IF other LL you applied to also say your current LL is giving you bad ref then you will have a better case. Why would you want to rent from a past LL you had problems with anyway?

Old 06-08-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Stop stressing about it There is no way to tell who lying. UNLESS you here this from other LL you apply to. Keep looking & keep applying. IF other LL you applied to also say your current LL is giving you bad ref then you will have a better case. Why would you want to rent from a past LL you had problems with anyway?
I had no idea he was her husband. But you're right, I will just let it go and try to find somewhere else. That place was just seemed so perfect, but evidently not.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:30 PM

Well now you know! I think you got lucky to find out Before you moved in... think what a mess that would have been!

Old 06-08-2015, 05:38 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,449,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Why does everyone assume private LL don't do their homework?
I understand that you do. But many don't. I highly doubt my current LL did. I think he saw my paystub and handed me the lease.

Quote:
To top it all off, I'm now absolutely sure he isn't going to give me my deposit back, because if he would do this to me, he surely doesn't have any intention of doing the right thing there.

I've been crying all day. I'm 63, disabled, and just don't know what to do.
Its an apartment. Its like a bus. Another one will come long. It really isn't worth the psychic energy to cry over.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Its an apartment. Its like a bus. Another one will come long. It really isn't worth the psychic energy to cry over.
It's not the apartment itself, it's the rejection and being made to feel like crap after fighting so hard to hold it together for the worst 5 years of my life. And no, another one might not come along, especially not in that location, and not that I can afford. I just get so tired of being made to feel unworthy and having to live in crappy places. I'm a good tenant, but I refuse to live in filth and unsanitary/unhealthy conditions or have a landlord who takes 4 months to make repairs just to get a good reference. No one should have to do that.

Last year a woman turned me down for an apartment because I didn't own a car. I kid you not. What kind of person does that?

Old 06-08-2015, 07:35 PM

She didn't want the responsibility of getting you to drs or shopping. I been turned down for the same reasons... that's what I was told the reason.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:58 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,231,638 times
Quote:
I've had so many problems with this landlord, but he said he would give me a good reference. I had found a great apartment and was ready to give my deposit today when the landlord there told me that my current landlord told him I was a high-maintenance troublemaker.

Just yesterday, the landlord was at my house and said to just tell people to call him and he would give me a good reference. Obviously, it was just a ploy to punish me for turning him into code enforcement after begging for 4 months to get my plumbing issues fixed.

I don't know what to do now. The new landlord was so rude to me, treated me like scum, so maybe I'm better off not living there. He wouldn't even listen to me, in fact, he threw up in my face that he had "PhD students" wanting to rent the apartment, which IMHO just shows that he is a classist snob.

I just don't know what to do about a reference now. I have a hard enough time trying to find a place because of my credit being shot by losing my job when the economy collapsed, so I'm looking at having to go live in a tent in the woods -- literally. I don't have any firends here, and don't have anywhere else to go.

Is there any way to overcome this? I have less than two months to find a place, and it's hard in a college town to find anything this time of year, because everything is being pre-leased by students for fall.

To top it all off, I'm now absolutely sure he isn't going to give me my deposit back, because if he would do this to me, he surely doesn't have any intention of doing the right thing there.

I've been crying all day. I'm 63, disabled, and just don't know what to do.

In every state there is a resource number available. Dial 211 from any phone....and this will be answered by a volunteer, they are trained to help folks just like you who do not know where to turn, just tell them you need help, and tell them what happened..and ask them what agency you could talk to, also ask about any housing agencies that you might call in your area. Mak sure to mention you are a senior and disabled. Let me know if you need any help with this.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:33 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,563,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
Because most of them don't. I personally ignore the current landlord except for payment history. It is well known current landlords rarely give good references unless they want the tenant gone. After all, they are losing money why would they?
I don't even see the point if asking about late payment history because they will lie about it too. I doubt they will say great tenant but late with rent. But I also pretty much ignore the current LL reference and personal references. But a credit/background check is more than calling a past LL. I do call them just as a formality. Still that doesn't mean I won't run BG/credit checks. I also call for employment reference by calling the receptionist and HR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I understand that you do. But many don't. I highly doubt my current LL did. I think he saw my paystub and handed me the lease.
That's crazy. The last thing I want is a headache tenant. I had those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting