Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 09:21 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,699,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
No the application fee is not primarily to pay the credit report. The application fee is to pay for the screening and screening an application consists of a heck of a lot more than running a credit report. Many landlords run a credit check as part of their screening, but it is not a requirement
We will just have to agree on disagreeing on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 09:22 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
I have been told that - in my state at least - landlords are supposed to process each application sequentially, not in batch.

That is, if you are the first to apply (or your submitted application is the only application unprocessed), your application is to be processed and judged on its merits, and not in comparison with any other application. -

Old 06-28-2015, 09:23 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,776,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Are you actually running credit reports on all 10 of those apps and if so, why would you?
I keep running a report till I find one I will rent to if that is the first or the 100th. I tell everyone the only thing that you will be denied for 100% is lying.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:30 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,699,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I have been told that - in my state at least - landlords are supposed to process each application sequentially, not in batch.

That is, if you are the first to apply (or your submitted application is the only application unprocessed), your application is to be processed and judged on its merits, and not in comparison with any other application. -
That is how we do it. First application submitted, first served and down the line until we find the first one that meets all qualifications hence the reason we don't end up running/ordering that many credit reports. Some applicants don't pass the qualifications on application and/or court records so we move onto the next without having to even run a credit report.

Last edited by Corn-fused; 06-28-2015 at 09:58 PM..

Old 06-29-2015, 05:03 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
The rental market is hot here and it's not uncommon to have fifty apps for one unit. I doubt they run all fifty background/credit checks. They vet the apps first and then go from there. But, yeah, you can make some change on those apps. The average fee around here is $75. My landlord's ad said $100, but didn't charge us one based on the info on the app. She uses it to weed out people..not many people are going to pay $100 per adult app fee.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:07 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Unfortunately, a lot of hopeful tenants seem to have comprehension problems. You can put it in the ad, you can show them your written criteria, you can tell them that you don't accept whatever, and they will still insist upon applying.

Like the group of five who were all standing in the driveway and smoking when I arrived to show the house. The ad says no smoking, the written criteria, which they were given, says no smoking, the application form says no smoking, and I told them several times that the owner of the house would not accept a smoker.

They insisted upon applying because they were sure it would be OK. They all dropped cigarette butts onto my driveway. I figure the $125 they gave me was a stupid tax. When I told them their application was denied, they asked why. I replied that no smoking was allowed and they said "oh."

I've got an ad running right now that clearly says the tenant must do A and B. I tell them that on the phone. They ask what A involves because they don't know how to do it, say they don't have B and then want to make an appointment to see the house and fill out an application.

They show up and I tell them that the tenant must have A and B and they tell me that they don't and they still apply.

I don't know how much clearer that I can be than to say they don't meet the requirements, but they are absolutely certain that I don't know what I am talking about.
I understand and agree with your post and we have no difficulty with denial of tenants and them losing their money after we explained what we screen on and what will be a denial and denying them due to lying.

We call it payment for insulting our intelligence and time.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:13 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
That is how we do it. First application submitted, first served and down the line until we find the first one that meets all qualifications hence the reason we don't end up running/ordering that many credit reports. Some applicants don't pass the qualifications on application and/or court records so we move onto the next without having to even run a credit report.
And you keep the money after checking the public records and court records?

Over here and I believe else where as well the law is clear that after a denial the tenant is entitled to the credit report and if they don't receive it they can sue you as someone tried to do by saying so and we checked it out and she was right but we already had submitted the credit report to her so we weren't wrong in anything and this was probably one of the people who like to get free money by just going after companies IF they wouldn't handle it correctly.

Of course you have the ones who will bring up race but that is difficult to with our company as we have so many different backgrounds for our tenants with different race, religions, and we never made an issue about being married or not regardless of sex, etc.

But we clearly see a shift of tenants who will go and try to the legal right if you won't rent to them and we always tell them that starting to be difficult even before renting is not a sign of being the right tenant and we will move on. That's called "saved by the bell".

Old 06-29-2015, 10:54 AM

403 posts, read 557,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
thats awful, but it would be legal here in Az, as long as you're not discriminating against protected classes.

That said, it's awful & I wouldn't even run app#2 if app#1 was a better tenant.

Fwiw, my "app fee" is what is actually costs to run credit & background ($20).. ymmv, obviously..
How would you know that #1 is a better tenant than #2 if you don't run #2's app?

Old 06-29-2015, 10:59 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
That said, it's awful & I wouldn't even run app#2 if app#1 was a better tenant.
I agree. Proper way to do it is run applications in the chronological order they were received until one meets approval criteria.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:12 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Well let us say I have a rent controlled apartment in Manhattan that I am going to lease at a really low rent. And let us say I advertise it heavily and demand a $200 non refundable application fee. And let us say I get 1500 applications. Do I really get to keep the $300,000?
yes.. if you didn't break any local laws and make sure you pay taxes on that. Oh.. make sure you are ready for lawsuit if you plan to do make money this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting