Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 12:39 PM

62 posts, read 123,847 times

Advertisements

In my apartment the manager tells me he evicts people all the time and most complexes will not rent to someone unless they have a good mortgage/rental/employment and credit record.

So if someone is evicted for not paying the rent, has just terrible credit but still has a job, how do they find a place to live after the eviction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 12:46 PM

13,717 posts, read 12,466,346 times
They either convince the new ll of their sob story, or they go somewhere that doesn't do background checks, or somewhere that specializes in harder luck cases (usually in a not nice part of town with hefty security deposit and first and last month's rent.)

Old 07-10-2015, 12:59 PM

32,672 posts, read 48,152,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Luck View Post
........So if someone is evicted for not paying the rent, has just terrible credit but still has a job, how do they find a place to live after the eviction?
The answer to this question is, since you have a job, just pay the rent on time and it won't be a problem.

There are landlords who specialize in evictees. Of course, they require a huge deposit and if you've got that much money, why didn't you just pay the rent where you were?

Old 07-10-2015, 01:01 PM

32,672 posts, read 48,152,369 times
Quote:
In my apartment the manager tells me he evicts people all the time.....
By the way, if your apartment manager is evicting people all the time, he isn't screening his applicants well enough.

But as this applies to your situation, OP, be aware that he doesn't hesitate to evict.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:46 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,594,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
By the way, if your apartment manager is evicting people all the time, he isn't screening his applicants well enough.

But as this applies to your situation, OP, be aware that he doesn't hesitate to evict.

This^^^^

For me a eviction is a automatic denial. I won't even entertain the idea.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:03 PM

253 posts, read 229,448 times
You'll certainly have a hard time. You'll have to find a landlord willing to take a risk on you in that scenario.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:03 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,049,961 times
There are plenty of sucker landlords out there.

You shouldn't rent more than you can afford.

Can't pay the rent? Move out. Simple as that.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:28 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,500,220 times
Will you find a place? Probably eventually.

But you may have to couch camp with friends for a while, or live in your car while you look. It won't be an easy process.

I'm getting 5-10 applications on every property right now. The last few applications I accepted had 700+ credit with non smokers, and no pets. I can afford to pick and choose, so I'm taking the cream of the crop. I don't think I've signed a lease with anyone under 600 in months. I don't actually look at the scores, I only assess the report, so I'm not 100% sure of that, but I really doubt it. I almost said under 650, but I had one who could have been low 600s.

Anyone with an eviction, landlord collection, or utility collection, I tell them not to waste their time and money filling out an application.

But there are some landlords who either don't check or don't care. Most of them aren't people I would ever rent from. But if you have an eviction AND bad credit, you can't afford to be choosy. Your choices are slumlord or homeless.

Once the eviction is 10 years old, SOME landlords might be willing to work with you. Maybe.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:33 PM

784 posts, read 731,796 times
There will always be some newbie investor that has no clue on how to screen a tenant. And, that will be the place I buy for pennies on the dollar. It will need a rehab, and new tenants.

That's also what slumlords do. Rent to the downtrodden tenants. There is plenty of money on that side of being a landlord. Fill-em up, get them out, get new people.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:34 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,052,469 times
Quote:
In my apartment the manager tells me he evicts people all the time and most complexes will not rent to someone unless they have a good mortgage/rental/employment and credit record.

So if someone is evicted for not paying the rent, has just terrible credit but still has a job, how do they find a place to live after the eviction?

They find landlords who don't care about income, credit, or eviction history.

I personally wouldn't rent from a landlord that didn't bother to screen their applicants.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting