Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2015, 06:10 AM

2 posts, read 1,697 times

Advertisements

I moved to TN from MN to transfer into a pre-medical program at a university (they took my previous credits). Last December I got an apartment. This was my first go at getting an apartment. The area seems to have either really cheap apartments (with meth addicts as neighbors... East TN is meth capital of the US go figure... Yes working in the ED ... is interesting haha) or very expensive and out of my price range (I was a student and saving money for getting married. So I jumped on the first "decent" place I could find. The Land Lord seemed like a decent guy and the lease was fairly straight forward. I needed a place to live and it was $550 (not $200 and not $900) The place was a little beat up looking, but it was right next to the only walking trail in town and it has a decent view.

Being from the northern lands I did not think to look for roachs. I discovered them the day after I signed. The land lord has not done a lot. I would see them almost everyday and then everyday. Then two a day. Finally I was seeing a lot. Ironically when I talked to my landlord about it they all disappeared for three weeks (he wanted pictures before treatment). Then as it warmed up I began to see them again. My fiance hates them (as do I) with a passion and so while we were on our honeymoon my LL told us he sprayed once. They were stil present when we returned the final straw was when I saw one crawl onto my dinner plate! EEK I bought some combat and it seems to have the done the trick as i haven't seen any in a few weeks (knock on wood).

During the winter the "new" heater went out twice on cold days granted it was fixed quickly. In January I noticed a leak on the bathroom wall. It was fixed after a week or so although the damaged wall has never been repaired. In spring while I had 70 hours weeks (16 credits, 12 hour clinicals starting at 7am, fulltime 3rd shift, and preparing for a wedding) I came home and was about to fall asleep. There was a tapping sound. I turned on the light and there was water dripping on my textbook and computer! Thankfully it apparently had just started dripping (thankfully not during my 12 hour clinical!) That took about 2-3 weeks before it was fixed. The repair guy ended finding the water heater above me was rusting out (thankfully it didn't burst and was only a drip). They had to rip out ceiling in my bedroom and re do it. Which made sleeping a little difficult (it took about a week) and it made my apartment very dusty. The touch up work never got finished as promised.

Around that time the bathtub shower faucet started acting up and it spews half the water out the tub faucet. Meaning the short 4 minutes of hot water is now about 2 minutes (worse than my families camper growing up!) The repairman attempted to fix it, but said he couldn't and needed parts. I called him while on my honeymoon and he said it would be fixed when I got back two weeks later (still wasn't fixed and has not been.) Now due to him trying to work on it the drain backs up immediately thus the bathtub always seems to have mold (no matter how often I clean it). When I asked the rapair guy again about fixing it he said the wall would need to be taken out and all the plumbing would need to be replaced (he admitted to me that the plumbing in the building is 20-30 years old and he was surprised more didn't go wrong) The bathroom also has no vent fan which I am not sure if that is legal. I know where I have lived in MN and MO it is law the bathroom must be ventilated. I know other states have laws about having atleast an opening window (our bathroom does not). We have found mold in the extra room too which using the AC more seems to keep at bay (it is very humid here).

Last night I heard something in the kitchen. Every few minutes I would hear a dish move. I became very suspicious (I was in the living room). I walked in the kitchen and a giant black/grey rodent hopped out of the kitchen cabinet (where I keep the plates and glasses). If it was a mouse it was certainly much larger and different looking than the ones I had seen in my younger years.

My wife and I keep the apartment very clean. We do the dishes (as any one should) Keep garbage sealed We scrub and sweep. I feel though every month something else goes wrong and now seemingly everyweek. One of the stove burners has been out since January (has not been fixed after asking about 4-5 times) at this point I probably should... Not to mention the windows are very thin and there is about no insulation underneath the floor. (IE very high heating bill in the winter.) I am very timid person and would rather be polite than pushy. I have always paid the full rent a few days before needed. I follow the rules. But I am become increasingly frustrated with my living situation. I doubt I have any grounds to leave early (I would rather save the money at this point as I would have to pay an extra $1100 for leaving early) I am wondering if I should ask my landlord to do more or what sort of responsibility he as to act in these situations. I feel like most things get done half way, do not get done, or it is promised they will get done.

Sorry if I was ranting.... but I am frustrated. To the point I am willing to move back to MN where jobs pay much better and rent is reasonable! that would move schooling back a year.... it might be worth it though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 06:24 AM

41 posts, read 48,407 times
The place is un-habitable. You can start legal action against your
landlord for not maintaining the property. Look-up the Minnesota
rental laws. There may be free legal help available for tenant issues.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:37 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,036,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meinl View Post

Being from the northern lands I did not think to look for roachs. I discovered them the day after I signed. The land lord has not done a lot. I would see them almost everyday and then everyday. Then two a day. Finally I was seeing a lot. Ironically when I talked to my landlord about it they all disappeared for three weeks (he wanted pictures before treatment). Then as it warmed up I began to see them again. My fiance hates them (as do I) with a passion and so while we were on our honeymoon my LL told us he sprayed once. They were stil present when we returned the final straw was when I saw one crawl onto my dinner plate! EEK I bought some combat and it seems to have the done the trick as i haven't seen any in a few weeks (knock on wood).

Read your lease and your state laws regarding pest control. Your landlord has addressed it and treated for them. If you continue to see them then alert the landlord (but read your lease/laws to see who's responsible for pest control)

During the winter the "new" heater went out twice on cold days granted it was fixed quickly. In January I noticed a leak on the bathroom wall. It was fixed after a week or so although the damaged wall has never been repaired. In spring while I had 70 hours weeks (16 credits, 12 hour clinicals starting at 7am, fulltime 3rd shift, and preparing for a wedding) I came home and was about to fall asleep. There was a tapping sound. I turned on the light and there was water dripping on my textbook and computer! Thankfully it apparently had just started dripping (thankfully not during my 12 hour clinical!) That took about 2-3 weeks before it was fixed. The repair guy ended finding the water heater above me was rusting out (thankfully it didn't burst and was only a drip). They had to rip out ceiling in my bedroom and re do it. Which made sleeping a little difficult (it took about a week) and it made my apartment very dusty. The touch up work never got finished as promised.

Did you put these requests in writing? If not, put it in writing and let them know it's still unfinished.

Do you have renter's ins? If not, get some. If your books are damaged, or anything else of yours for that matter, you're SOL without renter's ins.

Around that time the bathtub shower faucet started acting up and it spews half the water out the tub faucet. Meaning the short 4 minutes of hot water is now about 2 minutes (worse than my families camper growing up!) The repairman attempted to fix it, but said he couldn't and needed parts. I called him while on my honeymoon and he said it would be fixed when I got back two weeks later (still wasn't fixed and has not been.) Now due to him trying to work on it the drain backs up immediately thus the bathtub always seems to have mold (no matter how often I clean it). When I asked the rapair guy again about fixing it he said the wall would need to be taken out and all the plumbing would need to be replaced (he admitted to me that the plumbing in the building is 20-30 years old and he was surprised more didn't go wrong) The bathroom also has no vent fan which I am not sure if that is legal. I know where I have lived in MN and MO it is law the bathroom must be ventilated. I know other states have laws about having atleast an opening window (our bathroom does not). We have found mold in the extra room too which using the AC more seems to keep at bay (it is very humid here).

Again, did you put these requests in writing? The landlord is addressing these issues and as along as he's addressing them, there isn't much you can do

As for the bathroom, it might be grandfathered in due to the age of the building. Read your state laws.

Last night I heard something in the kitchen. Every few minutes I would hear a dish move. I became very suspicious (I was in the living room). I walked in the kitchen and a giant black/grey rodent hopped out of the kitchen cabinet (where I keep the plates and glasses). If it was a mouse it was certainly much larger and different looking than the ones I had seen in my younger years.

Did you notify the landlord that you found a rodent? Again, read your lease and your state laws regarding pest control, but put down traps asap.

My wife and I keep the apartment very clean. We do the dishes (as any one should) Keep garbage sealed We scrub and sweep. I feel though every month something else goes wrong and now seemingly everyweek. One of the stove burners has been out since January (has not been fixed after asking about 4-5 times) at this point I probably should... Not to mention the windows are very thin and there is about no insulation underneath the floor. (IE very high heating bill in the winter.) I am very timid person and would rather be polite than pushy. I have always paid the full rent a few days before needed. I follow the rules. But I am become increasingly frustrated with my living situation. I doubt I have any grounds to leave early (I would rather save the money at this point as I would have to pay an extra $1100 for leaving early) I am wondering if I should ask my landlord to do more or what sort of responsibility he as to act in these situations. I feel like most things get done half way, do not get done, or it is promised they will get done.

Sorry if I was ranting.... but I am frustrated. To the point I am willing to move back to MN where jobs pay much better and rent is reasonable! that would move schooling back a year.... it might be worth it though.
If you're that frustrated, read your lease regarding early termination and move. You won't be able to leave penalty free...this unit is NOT uninhabitable. Your landlord is addressing the issues; bugs and rodents take a while to get rid of.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:00 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,499,657 times
Get some mouse or rat glue traps. Or rat poison and place it in the home if you don't have pets or children in the home.

The combat roach stuff is the best. The stuff in the tube is the best of all.

With the above, you should be able to get the pests under control until your lease is up on Dec 1 (is it Dec 1). This is only a few months away.

Start evaluating other apartments in the area so when your lease expires, you will be ready to move. Check your current lease to see how many days of notice you must give before you move. Such as 30 or 60 days. Make sure to follow the lease on how to give notice(in writing, return receipt, etc).

You can live this this for another 3.5 months if you get the pests under control. Traps and bait are pretty inexpensive.

When you start discussing future rentals with new landlords, please refrain as best as possible about complaining about your current rental. They might think you are a complainer and might turn you down over it. Just tell them your annual lease expired and you picked the place in a hurry when you moved to TN and you had only planned to live there until your 1 year lease expired.

About the vent in the bathroom. Many places require either a vent or window in the bathroom for new construction. But you don't know what the rule was back when your apartment was built. They probably didn't it require it at that time. Or maybe they still don't. You won't get anywhere with that issue. Your best option is to fully open the bathroom door when you are done showering so the room can air out into the rest of the home. Heck, leave the bathroom door open while you are showering if you can. This way the moisture isn't confined to the bathroom.

It doesn't make sense to go back to MN over this and lose 1 year of school. You would be smarter to move elsewhere in NE TN so you can continue the school. If your only issue is the apartment, you don't have to move to MN to rid yourself of this apartment.

Also check your current lease to see if there is a lease break fee. Often they are equal to 2 months of rent. If you don't have one you can attempt to negotiate with the landlord to pay him/her 1.5x rent as a 'fee' to be able to break your lease and move early and be allowed out of your lease early. If they agree get this in writing from landlord before you sign new lease elsewhere.

But Dec 1 is around the corner anyway if you want to stay in the current lease.

Another option is breaking the lease without a lease break fee. Check your state laws to see if landlord must mitigate damages. This means they must attempt to rerent and you won't owe rent after the new renter moves in. But you must check TN law to see if the landlord can sit back and collect rent from you (not have to mitigate damages.). Often they can rerent quickly and you only pay a couple weeks extra rent. You can call the landlord to check. They might be glad to rerent because maybe rentals are scarce in your area.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:37 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,091,772 times
Well, cheaper apartments are in a dangerous neighborhood and nice apartments are out of your price range. You could move, but there aren't a lot of options for you.

The landlord is doing repairs, although slowly. You say the place was beat up looking when you rented it. It's unrealistic to expect it to go from beat up to perfect. In rentals what you see is what you get. You don't get a nice place for half the price of a nice place.

Put out some mouse bait, under the stove, in the back of the cabinet under the sink, in the bathroom under the sink--- the places where you should have that combat gel placed all the time.

If that shower is one where you put up on the little lever that is located out on the tub spout, that spout just screws off and a brand new spout is going to cost less than $10. If you replace it, you must wrap the threads with silicon tape ( 99cents ) and put a bead of silicone bathtub caulk around the base of the new spout. The landlord should do it, but if he wont, you are being miserable when $15 would solve the problem for you.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:10 AM

2 posts, read 1,697 times
To the first poster I no desire to take up legal action nor do I think I have the grounds to do so... I am of the opinion people sue to freely here in the states (IMO). It is true December is not far away, but simply it is frustrating being here (as could be perceived by the tone of my first post I am sure ;-) .

Also good points about the bathroom being "grand fathered in" I had not really taken that into consideration.

As to the reason of moving it is a few more considerations. Better paying jobs (I made $30 and hour there and make around $12 here) My wife who is a college grad is stuck in the same the $10ish here. etc etc The apartment is the icing on the cake haha but I won't get into that.

@Oregonwoodsmoke
The point about not a lot of options is true. I agree the landlord does do repairs, but it seems to be the minimum to get by which I don't understand. Technically I could pay rent a few days late or maybe could even get by paying a little less. Why would I though? I pay him several days in advance (He will be getting Septembers rent by the end of the week.)The building is a fairly decent location. If in good repair he could make more money (I would not mind paying more at all) and he could have better renters as some them are sketchy to say the least.

As to it being beat up when I rented it yes it wasn't perfect. I am ok with that and I have lived in such places before, but just because the woodwork is a little beat up doesn't mean the plumbing is going to be bad and I will have significant problems with roaches. A few things going wrong doesn't bother me it is the continually finding out more problems. I mean the sink is cabinet is half falling apart. It is cheap (not sure why it was put in the first time not built to last), but that is ok it is more than livable. (not that the apartment isn't).

As to the shower spout it is not your normal spout. I could take a picture, but according the repairman he ordered a very specific piece (which did not fix it although I am not sure if he ever did trying putting in? as what he says and what happens have been two different things often. ) and now the plumbing needs to be replaced. I would certainly say it is above my skills of handy work and I would do more damage than good.

I am guessing it would be fair of me to request that my landlord repair the bathroom. I am not quite sure the best way to word the request other than just asking. I am fairly new to apartments again.

Thankyou all for the good advice so far. Also do any of you have tips for what to look for when scoping out in an apartment or finding a good land lord. I would imagine someone who is honest and pays rent on time is preferable to someone who doesn't? While I know I obviously do not want a place with pests again are there any tricks to find that sort of things ahead of time. When I walked through my current apartment with the land lord I did not see any. When I walked through it myself after I signed the least two days later I found 10 dead ones.

as to my neighbors upstairs I have heard from the repairmen that they are incredibly messy. The repairman also mentioned there being a cats and cat litter everywhere. (it is clear the repairmen would say these tenants make the roach problem worse). My lease says specifically no pets and I would assume theirs is the same. The upstairs smells of cat spray and now the shared laundry room does when they wash things. I also think I hear dog paws (to heavy to be a cat and there is the scratching noise against the wood as they play) sometimes although I have never seen a dog or heard one bark thus it is purely speculation at this juncture. Would it be worth it to mention to the land lord? I am not sure if he is informed and simply does not care or does not know. I have not seen him around the property once since we walked through it.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:59 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,361,909 times
Suck it up until lease expiration and start making plans now for your departure. Be sure to provide 60 days' notice if that's required for advising of non-renewal. I had an apartment like the one you discribed when I was finishing my university eduction and newly wed. We moved and the new one was worse; it took 3 moves to finally finish in a tiny place where everything actually worked. Now, 40 years later, I laugh about those days.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:28 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,554,341 times
You should have your pick of places if you move in December. If you have to stay where you're at, go ahead and start looking for apartments now. It may take some time to find something, or you may find someone that will have a tenant leaving in November and might hold it for you if they know you're serious about moving. It's more difficult to find tenants in December than in the summer months.

Oh, and when you talk to a new landlord/management co., don't go around telling them how bad your place is now. Don't tell them about bugs and whatnot, otherwise they might think you'll bring them with you if you know what I mean. Just say you're looking for something newer (if the new apt. is a fairly new build), or that you "like this area of town" or whatever. Bring whatever income info you have with you, and be ready to fill out an application and place a deposit if you can. Try hunting on craigslist, Zillow, apartments.com , hotpads, etc. Then do google searches on these places and see if you can find reviews or complaints.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:54 PM

898 posts, read 1,219,775 times
you two should be living out of a van. i would never live in such conditions. this is for ppl. on section 8/govt. housing. you are nuts to pay rent to live there.

to all the ppl. saying put some mouse bait: that is the most disgusting thing i have heard. to know that mice will be visiting my home and it is MY job to trap them. and i am PAYING for all this. this is just crazy. i understand you are poor can't afford better but really, i would just up and leave and find either another room or just sleep in the hospital or even the gym locker room or anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting