Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 03:38 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,892,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhjj134 View Post
I am definitely trying to work with them. I am OK to give some time for them to adjust the financial problem. But they have to prove they can keep the promise and get back on track in the future.
If they are paying you in this calendar month + an extra bonus as a late fee (is it in the range of $100?), why do you need to work with them? Enjoy some extra money for the inconvenience.

However, if they completely skip a payment, then it's totally different story - if that's the case, they either catch up on the payments real quickly (+ post an extra month of security deposit at the time of lease renewal), or you need to kick them out before your security deposit turns itself into their rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 03:40 PM

6 posts, read 3,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Demanding proof of their ability to pay at this point doesn't make sense. Either they are paying or they aren't. And the eviction process is in place for tenants who aren't paying the rent.

What you're proposing as far as asking for proof of income again, can be seen as harassment. I really don't think you should go there. Imagine your mortgage lender asking you to re-apply for a mortgage if you were late on a payment. The time for checking their ability to pay was before they moved in.

Someone can be a millionaire and not pay their bills. Even if they prove they have money, that doesn't mean you will get paid. It's not your job to hold their hands or counsel them, and if they let you do this, they will probably take advantage of you. You're not their counselor or financial adviser. You are their landlord. If they don't pay you, then kick them out according to the law.

I think new landlords have a hard time separating business from the "relationship." Picture yourself as their car dealer who sold them a car. They don't make the payments, it gets repossessed. The car dealer isn't going to sit them down and discuss their problems with them.

This is not because you are mean, etc. But, choose your charities. Your tenants should not be one of them. "Gee, I'm really sorry things aren't working out for you here, but I can't let you live here without paying the rent on time."
First, thanks a lot for the advice. Points are taken and it really get me to re-think about this.
It is funny that I was trying to explain my thought on this and realize it doesn't make sense on the half way of writing it

1. I can't evict them or terminate the lease if they can not prove the income.
2. It doesn't guarantee they will pay even if they can prove the income.

It seems like having the proof does nothing except it might make me feel better.
I don't need that.

No more useless thinking on this, great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting