Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 03:26 PM

28 posts, read 126,830 times

Advertisements

Let me start off by saying we have not rented in over 20 years as we have been homeowners. But, since we are relocating for work again, and our house sold very quickly, we do not have enough time to find a suitable home in our new location.

We are moving to Nashville TN and I am appalled at the security deposits and pet deposits people are asking for. $2,000 security deposit and $1,000 pet deposit on a small 2200 sq foot house that rents for $1500. Is this the norm?

I am sure the lease agrements are going to be length and only benefit the landlord. My concern is how am I assured of getting my security deposit back. It appears that the term normal wear and tear is to broad an interpretation to protect the renter. I am definitely not signing anything until my attorney reveiws it. From reading the posts on this site, I already have a pretty low opinion of landlords and from my experience with the slumlords my children who are in college are renting from.

Can anyone update me on the current standards for deposits? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 03:39 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,379,501 times
Tennessee has no "statutory limit" on security deposits, meaning they can charge what they want (each state makes it's own rules). As for pets, carpeting can cost thousands of dollars, doors and floor refinishing expensive, as is landscaping. If your dog is good, maybe the deposit is negotiable if you can get neighbors to vouch for your pooch. Otherwise, make sure you get an apartment inspector to document the condition of this apartment prior to you're moving in, and when you move out. Also, even if Fido destroys the carpet, it only has a life-expectancy of about 5 years anyway, and the courts will deem it as valueless. See if you can verify the age of the carpet before you move in. I let a tenant have a cat once. She moved out without telling me, 2 months before the neighbors complained about the smell. She had left 7 cats, costing me $12,000 to restore the place. You can see why landlords are leery about pets...

Old 01-26-2008, 03:43 PM

What is a apartment inspector? Is this the same type of inspector you use when you buy a home? I plan on documenting everything before we move in with pictures.

Our dog does no damage. She is in a crate if we are not home. She is 8 years old, so she mostly sleeps.

Thanks for the info. I guess I need to study up on TN law so I can protect myself.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:00 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,379,501 times
An apartment inspector is a licensed professional, usually trained in archecture, engineering, electrical, or similiar interests. Be careful though, they can also get an internet course. Either way, they will complete a "Vacant Condition Report" for you, which is a legal document. To find one in your area, you might want to contact the ASHI (American Society of Home Inspectors) or the NAHI (National Association of Home Inspectors). They maintain the standards necessary to get an undisputable report, which should cost you between $250 to $450, depending on size, type, and number of units being inspected.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:34 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,503,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
Tennessee has no "statutory limit" on security deposits, meaning they can charge what they want (each state makes it's own rules). As for pets, carpeting can cost thousands of dollars, doors and floor refinishing expensive, as is landscaping. If your dog is good, maybe the deposit is negotiable if you can get neighbors to vouch for your pooch. Otherwise, make sure you get an apartment inspector to document the condition of this apartment prior to you're moving in, and when you move out. Also, even if Fido destroys the carpet, it only has a life-expectancy of about 5 years anyway, and the courts will deem it as valueless. See if you can verify the age of the carpet before you move in. I let a tenant have a cat once. She moved out without telling me, 2 months before the neighbors complained about the smell. She had left 7 cats, costing me $12,000 to restore the place. You can see why landlords are leery about pets...
Yeap, pets + apartments do not mix because tenants ~ scumbags.

Not always, but a lot more often than I'd like. I'm sorry that you're not a fan of landlords, but read the tenant horror stories before you judge that all of the folks who do this are bad people.

In regards to pet deposits, there tends to be a non-refundable, and a refundable portion. $1000 seems quite high. Your security deposit should be fully refundable, and the pet deposit is usually a mix. I think we asked for $500, $200 non-refundable? I'd have to get those numbers and get back to you.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:06 AM

Your own response should tell you why tenants view landlords the way they do. You stated tenans = scumbags. Believe me tenants pick up on your attitude and therefore they treat you that way. As someone who is renting temporaryily and luckily have other choices, I will not stand for the type of treatment most people have to bear. I feel for the people who have no other choice but to rent, it appears that most landlords take advantage of that fact.

You as a landlord would be thrilled to have me as a tenant and my background check will prove that, but if I even detect a whiff of attitude and its my way or the highway contempt I will not rent your place. My attorney will go over the lease with a fine tooth comb and luckily from this board I have already learned an addendum that I will have my attorney add to the lease. I will definitely have something in my lease stating my deposit will be returned within xxx days. Thanks ESFP for your posts regarding that issue.

If landlords want more from their tenants, then quit treating everyone like a criminal. Even the property manangement websites I have read are appalling. I have eliminated several homes just by the verbage in the website. It makes it appear that they only deal with deadbeats and criminals and have to have that type language to protect themselves. Well if that is their clientele, then someone like me will not even look at their higher end properties.

I don't know which is worse, trying to pick out a house for purchase in one weekend or picking out a rental/landlord.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:52 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
dreadingthemove, it's unfortunate that you took such umbrage at Radek's post but I woud guess that you have never been a landlord. The "horror stories" documented by landlords are only the tip of the iceberg.

When I first became a landlord many years ago (I'm not one now and never will be again!) I had a very simple lease agreement and relied on my usually pretty good judgement where prospective tenants were concerned. By the time I stopped being a landlord several years later my lease agreement had grown from a simple one-page document to a 5-pager. You perceive some property manager websites to be "appalling" and perceive attention to detail as being a bad thing. I would look at such attention to detail as being incredibly positive since the verbage is, of course, designed to (a) eliminate the "deadbeats and criminals" from the get-go and (b) get them out as quickly as possible if they do sneak in.

You may well be a tenant who a landlord would be pleased to have but I would venture to guess that you've already missed out on some very nice living situations by dismissing the concise verbage which is designed to protect the landlord's property AND the comfort of other tenants. Cheers!

Old 01-27-2008, 10:25 AM

I think I will vacate this board before my blood boils over. I am going to find it very difficult to deal with any landlords if I keep reading all these "horror stories" from landlords. I bet tenants could post just as many horror stories as landlords.

If the landlords continue to treat everyone as a criminal, then that is what you get. I am not renting some $500 a month apartment. I am paying serious dough for a nice rental home, I expect to be treated like a customer, not a criminal. You don't get my business if you don't treat me with the same type of customer service I expect in any other business transaction.

End of story.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:15 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,503,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreading the move View Post
I think I will vacate this board before my blood boils over. I am going to find it very difficult to deal with any landlords if I keep reading all these "horror stories" from landlords. I bet tenants could post just as many horror stories as landlords.

If the landlords continue to treat everyone as a criminal, then that is what you get. I am not renting some $500 a month apartment. I am paying serious dough for a nice rental home, I expect to be treated like a customer, not a criminal. You don't get my business if you don't treat me with the same type of customer service I expect in any other business transaction.

End of story.
I agree entirely that tenants have plenty of horror stories. In fact, read the 'landlord being unreasonable'? thread, where many a landlord express their disdain for the scumbag landlords of this era.

There are people on BOTH sides that are dirty lowlifes, out there to make a quick buck. I HATE evicting people. Its the worst feeling one could have. But, if you aren't paying rent, then we need to do it, because unlike popular opinion, landlords aren't sitting around at home getting wealthy off their rent intake. Most people have a few properties for investment, and to pay the mortgages and thus to make money on them, they rent them out. Because (generally) the increase in value of the property each year is not higher than the interest rate on the mortgage.

I've rented as well as helped my family manage properties, and I'm hoping to be able to manage one for them in my current location.

We bought 2 duplexes on one piece of property once, and had 3 of the 4 tenants move out because the previous landlord was a scumbag. Over time, those people end up with vacant apartments.

If you read my post, you'll notice that I said, "Not always, but more than I'd like". So, I'm sorry you misread me as having a 'disdain' for tenants. But thats not my feelings. If you maintain the property, abide by the terms of the lease and are otherwise good to us, then I'm more than happy to have people like that around. But, if you want to put holes in walls, or do drugs, or refuse to pay rent (this one still gets to me. Just about everything else I can attribute to ignorance. But, not paying rent is simple.)

I urge you to read more posts and threads on this forum, and I will agree entirely that there are bad people out there as landlords, looking to make quick bucks off unsuspecting renters.

Thats not the landlords that I've experienced on this forum.

And there are bad tenants out there, people who absolutely destroy places with no regard to personal property. They're not the people I've experienced on this forum.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:09 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreading the move View Post
Let me start off by saying we have not rented in over 20 years as we have been homeowners. But, since we are relocating for work again, and our house sold very quickly, we do not have enough time to find a suitable home in our new location.

We are moving to Nashville TN and I am appalled at the security deposits and pet deposits people are asking for. $2,000 security deposit and $1,000 pet deposit on a small 2200 sq foot house that rents for $1500. Is this the norm?

I am sure the lease agrements are going to be length and only benefit the landlord. My concern is how am I assured of getting my security deposit back. It appears that the term normal wear and tear is to broad an interpretation to protect the renter. I am definitely not signing anything until my attorney reveiws it. From reading the posts on this site, I already have a pretty low opinion of landlords and from my experience with the slumlords my children who are in college are renting from.

Can anyone update me on the current standards for deposits? Thanks.
The liability laws make having a dog on the property a real negative. The property owner is liable for anything the dog does on or OFF the property. It is a sad issue, having to turn away many good tenants because of it. The high deposit maybe a way to weed out an irresponsible owner as opposed to a responsible one. Maybe if you have pets with good citizenship awards, (basic obediance) that could reassure a nervous landlord, good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting