Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 09:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,370 times

Advertisements

I live in a college town in upstate New York. I am attending university and live in an apartment close to campus.

The lease for my current apartment started the end of August 2015, and at that time I had already paid my security deposit and my first three months rent (they asked for that when the Spring semester ended, before summer started). Then on September 1st they required the next three months paid. So I haven't even live in the place for a month and have already paid for 6.

To make matters worse, they would like the lease for the apartment renewed this month for 2016-2017. So 11 months before the lease would begin in 2016. Along with that renewal the landlord is requiring the first month of rent paid. So in September 2015 they are asking for a rent payment for September 2016.

The landlord makes claims that they have received hundreds of requests for next year and so they must rush getting leases renewed. I can also understand how a bunch of college students are not as trustworthy as the general public so they would like rent paid further in advance, but 6 months seems ridiculous.

My question is basically weather this is legal? It seems rather unfair to have to be paying so far in advance, and frankly it makes paying the rent itself much harder. In this current situation, I may not be able to renew my lease simply because I don't have money sitting around that I can earmark for something a year in advance.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 09:55 PM

1,273 posts, read 992,067 times
So flipping illegal

The most a landlord can charge you when you first move into an apartment is:

First month's rent;Last month's rent payment;A security deposit; andThe cost of a new lock and key.

The last month's rent and security deposit each can be no more than the first month's rent. For example, if your first month's rent is $1,000, a landlord can charge you $3,000 ($1,000 for the first month's rent, $1000 for a security deposit, and $1,000 for a last month's rent payment), plus the cost of a new lock and key

How much can a landlord request - MassLegalHelp

Old 09-24-2015, 09:59 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,116,372 times
You really should discuss this situation with the on-campus legal advisor or student housing authority. I don't know which university you are attending, but the majority have someone who can either give legal advice or use the weight of the university to help in this situation. Remember, if you are having this issue, so are many other students.

Talk to some of the other tenants and see what they are doing or to whom they may have spoken at the university.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:00 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,011,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by April R View Post
So flipping illegal

First month's rent;Last month's rent payment;A security deposit; andThe cost of a new lock and key.

The last month's rent and security deposit each can be no more than the first month's rent. For example, if your first month's rent is $1,000, a landlord can charge you $3,000 ($1,000 for the first month's rent, $1000 for a security deposit, and $1,000 for a last month's rent payment), plus the cost of a new lock and key

The OP is in NEW YORK STATE; the info you reference is Massachusetts. I'll edit with the proper NY regulations

Old 09-24-2015, 10:00 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,116,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by April R View Post
So flipping illegal

The OP is attending college in upstate New York, not Massachusetts.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:14 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
Here's a NY state tenant rights guide:

http://www.ag.ny.gov/sites/default/f...ights_2011.pdf

I haven't read it, but what your landlord wants you to do, is probably legal. It's up to you to say no.

What does your lease say? Does it say you pay every month? Or in 3 month chunks? You can always refer to the written lease agreement, if he's asking for something different than what's in the lease. The lease will rule, unless what's in it is illegal. But, I don't believe it's illegal to write up a lease that says the tenant agrees to pay 3 months at a time, or to ask you to sign another lease now.

You can always negotiate. If you're willing to sign a lease for next year, just tell him you'll sign a lease for next year, but you won't pay next September's rent until next August, or something like that.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,370 times
Fair enough, I am not with my primary computer right now and so don't have a copy of my lease on hand. I will consult it and see what it says. I know the rent is split into 3 month chunks, and that I have planned for and am fine with. I do not believe having to pay the first month of a renewed lease (Sep 16) is in there and so I have not planned for that, but I will check. I am going to reach out to the off campus housing office at my university and see what they have to say.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:48 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yottaflop View Post
Fair enough, I am not with my primary computer right now and so don't have a copy of my lease on hand. I will consult it and see what it says. I know the rent is split into 3 month chunks, and that I have planned for and am fine with. I do not believe having to pay the first month of a renewed lease (Sep 16) is in there and so I have not planned for that, but I will check. I am going to reach out to the off campus housing office at my university and see what they have to say.
Sounds good. It will be helpful to have someone look over your lease who understands what to look for. Personally, I wouldn't pay next September's rent now. I'd tell him I'll sign a new lease that says I agree to pay next September's rent in August (if that's acceptable to you). Then, make sure you read the lease and are okay with what's in it. Leases are negotiable.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:57 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,554,150 times
Have you already signed a lease agreement with them? What does that say. As for the law on security deposit limits. If we're talking about New York state...

“Unless the apartment is rent regulated, there is no legal limit to the amount that can be requested for a security deposit,” said Seth A. Miller, a Manhattan lawyer who specializes in landlord-tenant matters. “For rent stabilized tenants, the limit is one month’s rent.”

http://realestateqa.blogs.nytimes.co...ere-any-limit/

Old 09-25-2015, 12:12 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,708,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
Have you already signed a lease agreement with them? What does that say. As for the law on security deposit limits. If we're talking about New York state...

“Unless the apartment is rent regulated, there is no legal limit to the amount that can be requested for a security deposit,” said Seth A. Miller, a Manhattan lawyer who specializes in landlord-tenant matters. “For rent stabilized tenants, the limit is one month’s rent.”

http://realestateqa.blogs.nytimes.co...ere-any-limit/
And here we go again The issue with OP is not about security deposits. It is about 'rent'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting