Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 06:03 PM

86 posts, read 92,619 times

Advertisements

I'm sure some of you have dealt with this type of situation before...

Been at my apartment for a year and a half. Paid rent on time every single month. I put the check in the drop box this month like always and a few days later I have a notice on my door about late rent. I speak with the lady in the office as politely as possible, explaining that I would gladly write another check but I also said that I was certain I had deposited that month's rent on time, as is characteristic of my payment history. My only request was that she drop the fifty dollar late fee.

They wouldn't budge. I understand she probably hears that **** all the time (I even told her that) but it seems pretty foul that I'm being penalized for their mistake, regardless of the dollar amount.

I know I have no real options here, other than to just pay it, so I'm going to get the damned money order (no personal checks for late rent apparently) with the extra fifty bucks. It's her word against mine I guess.

I'm not sure if someone in the office made a simple mistake or if something shady is going on. The day before I spoke with them I saw some other tenant rush to the office with a notice in hand. He jerked the doors but they were closed already so he left, clearly pissed off. I know that doesn't really prove anything but that was the first time I'd seen someone do that.

What do you guys think about how I can protect myself?

I'm thinking I will hand my rent checks directly to them from now on, probably with my girlfriend present as a witness. I know this sounds far-fetched, but is it legal to record such a transaction (in their office)? I could have my girlfriend record with her phone while I hand them the check, and I also would clearly state the date and elicit some kind of verification from them.

Don't want to sound like too much of a wacko or something, but I take care of my place, am respectful to my neighbors and the leasing ladies, and have never had problems paying rent. I just got screwed for my money and time and I hate being in a position where I can't do anything about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 06:27 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,236,885 times
Best protection I can think of is use your banks bill pay which normally has some kind of late payment protection included too. You should be able to get some record, a receipt if you will, when you hand them a check in person. I used to have a drop box and this was an argument I had with someone e few times a year. For discrimination issues I can't waive anyone's late fees without proof you delivered the check.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:09 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
Years ago my mortgage company lost a mortgage payment check - the bank that held the mortgage was in the process of selling it to another bank.

I didn't find out until I received a collection notice in the mail.

Last month my bank electronically paid our quarterly property taxes. Received a notice in the mail that it was over-due and how much interest we owed the township.

Bank had proof that the money had been sent, town had no record of receiving it. Still owed them the interest.

For a rent check? Hand deliver it and get a signed receipt from the person who accepted it.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:11 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
When you hand them the check, you can ask for a rent receipt.

or, if you want to send via US Mail, you can use the use the service called Tracking. It needs to be in a stiff envelope of a specific size to be considered a First Class Package to get tracking. It's approx $2 to mail in this case. They don't allow "tracking" with a 1st class letter, but you can get Return Reciept which costs more, I think. Check your post office to see the options.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:29 PM

86 posts, read 92,619 times
Thanks for the info. That's a good and simple solution that didn't even cross my mind. I'll be sure to get receipts and look into online options as well.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:30 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
I don't think there is a real way to say the rent was paid. Use to be I pay my rent on the 3rd with a check by the 6th it cleared the bank & I could breath till next month. But these new people don't care when they come pick up checks nor when they deposit them. Last month it was the worst! 25th! May neighbors have the same complaint. One neighbor told us the Maintance guy came by picked up the checks off the floor since it was after 4 pm decided to just go home for the long weekend! Never took them to the mgr! crazy BTW even if you had the Mgr here a check or MO the only thing they except they Will Not give a receipt. Clam the check Is the Receipt!!

OP I wish you luck!

Old 10-06-2015, 08:31 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
A couple of thoughts... I would get paid on the 20th of the month and on payday, I would send in a check for next months rent... so I mailed it 10 days early.

It was simple to check and see if the check had cleared... rent not paid by the 5th was subject to a late fee so I had over two weeks from the date a sent it in... worked great and one less thing to remember.

As a landlord I will waive one late fee in 12 months for tenants with a good payment history... things do happen...

Old 10-06-2015, 08:33 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,678,036 times
Always get a receipt from your landlord when paying rent, especially when it is in person. If by money order, always keep the receipt. I guess your bank maybe able to help also.

But yes from now go to their office and pay the rent IN PERSON AND GET A RECEIPT.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:33 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
If you decide to do bill pay through your bank, investigate how the bank issues the payment. Some actually mail a check, and of course it takes several days to receive it. Others do an automated clearing house where the money is transferred electronically overnight.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:24 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,702,236 times
Agree with others to just walk it to the office to an actual person and make them give you a signed receipt. They may squawk about having to give you a receipt because you paid by check (but more so because you are screwing up their cash cow late fee racket) but so what, make them do it anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting