Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 04:32 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,717,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we live in a high rise where we have no control over the heat and it gets brutally hot in the winter so we usually have our windows open . but if we could control our own heat then those windows should be closed.

i vote for the landlord is right if you have control .
Yeah, I have a friend who lives in a very large complex and the heat is included and tenants are not able to regulate their own heat in their units. And the hallways are the worst! When I go to visit her I have to take a deep breath before I can even walk into the building because you just can't breathe in the hallways it is so hot. She has her window open all through the winter. She has to. Everyone in her building complains but they don't do anything about it. What a waste.

I wish I had her problems (and some of her heat) but I pay all of my own utilities and I freeze during the winter because it costs so much to heat my place.

So I do have to agree that if you are able to regulate your heat then you shouldn't need to have the windows open unless the heat is completely off and/or you need to quickly air the place out for some reason. But if the heat is on and windows open you should be charged for it. If you can't regulate the heat then tell the LL that it is set too high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 10:28 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,416,294 times
Default well...

Baseboard heat is electric, right? You're paying that bill, right? How does he know you have your baseboard heater on at all unless he's snooping where he shouldn't be. Tell him you pay the electric and to butt out of your business.
Koale

Old 11-20-2015, 10:55 AM

18,483 posts, read 31,684,723 times
too bad.
even with the heat on it is always nice to have fresh air coming in.
donot pay the 25 bucks.
tell the ll then to turn the heat down if it is too hot.

i absolutely would not pay it.

if my apt is too hot, and im on the top floor, i call the ll to lower the heat, that he loves to do. so that works for us.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:45 PM

305 posts, read 570,847 times
Certainly I don't think that a landlord can prevent a tenant from opening their windows. Dwellings are required by most city codes to have operable windows to provide required ventilation. Since your heat is by hot water instead of forced air, there wouldn't be much fresh air moving around your unit in the cold months.

If as it sounds, the landlord pays for your heat, the renter has control over the temperature, and if windows are being open on a regular basis, the landlord may have a case to impose a fine. However, if you turn up the thermometer, or turn the heat off while the windows are open, or do it just occasionally to air out the room, these are things that as a tenant you should be allowed to do.

And there are plenty of reasons to have the windows open while heat is on: there is no temperature control and it is too hot; I once had an apartment with single pane aluminum windows that would freeze over on the inside if they weren't cracked a little; older buildings often don't have an exhaust fan in the bathroom, I always open a window or two when I shower, otherwise the bathroom may never dry out, etc.

Old 11-20-2015, 04:27 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,792,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Baseboard heat is electric, right?
Nor necessarily, it can be gas heat used to heat water into the pipes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting