Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 08:00 AM

217 posts, read 247,751 times

Advertisements

Did you really not know there were smokers underneath? Was this your first time renting the apartment? You are the one who has to ask yourself if you withheld this information. I too would be upset to rent an apartment and find out it reeks of smoke from another tenant without being told.

Now that you are going through this, will you tell the next renter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 08:31 AM

70 posts, read 88,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackRyder View Post
Did you really not know there were smokers underneath? Was this your first time renting the apartment? You are the one who has to ask yourself if you withheld this information. I too would be upset to rent an apartment and find out it reeks of smoke from another tenant without being told.

Now that you are going through this, will you tell the next renter?
I am going to sell the unit after all this. I can not go thru this drama anymore.

I called the place my tenants left from which has a lot of complaints online from tenants saying they can smell EVERYTHING and hear EVERYTHING coming from other units.

Legally, I am not obligated to disclose anything. My unit was vacant for a long time. I do not know who lives downstairs but according to the bylaws and the State law, smoking is not illegal. If my tenant calls me tomorrow and says he wants to leave, by all means LEAVE. Just leave.

I wonder if they are so allergic to smoke (which is ok) why they did not move to a smoke free place.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flower2014 View Post
I am going to sell the unit after all this. I can not go thru this drama anymore.

I called the place my tenants left from which has a lot of complaints online from tenants saying they can smell EVERYTHING and hear EVERYTHING coming from other units.

Legally, I am not obligated to disclose anything. My unit was vacant for a long time. I do not know who lives downstairs but according to the bylaws and the State law, smoking is not illegal. If my tenant calls me tomorrow and says he wants to leave, by all means LEAVE. Just leave.

I wonder if they are so allergic to smoke (which is ok) why they did not move to a smoke free place.
Maybe they thought they were moving to a smoke free place and they were depending on the honesty of a landlord to tell them if the apartment had the smell of smoke rather than dealing with a landlord who feels they can deceive under the premise of "I don't have to legally disclose such information."

Old 12-02-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Maybe they thought they were moving to a smoke free place and they were depending on the honesty of a landlord to tell them if the apartment had the smell of smoke rather than dealing with a landlord who feels they can deceive under the premise of "I don't have to legally disclose such information."
The lease specifically states I cannot guarantee a smoke free place. I begged them to have the lease review by an attorney. I gave them 5 business days to get their attorney to ask questions before signing the lease.

I dont know what my neighbors do. If this was so important to them (which I understand) they needed to make sure it was spelled out

But again, if they want to go and decide to break the lease they can go, as far as I am concerned.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:36 AM

296 posts, read 533,715 times
You should be ashamed of yourself.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flower2014 View Post
The lease specifically states I cannot guarantee a smoke free place. I begged them to have the lease review by an attorney. I gave them 5 business days to get their attorney to ask questions before signing the lease.

I dont know what my neighbors do. If this was so important to them (which I understand) they needed to make sure it was spelled out

But again, if they want to go and decide to break the lease they can go, as far as I am concerned.
You are very good at avoiding questions.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:56 AM

912 posts, read 1,527,610 times
Quote:
If you are depending on the honesty of someone else in any financial transaction, you are setting yourself up for a long and hard life.

1. The lease spelled out that the home was not guaranteed to be smoke-free.
2. If you move into a multi-unit building that is not designated as smoke-free, you take the risk that you're going to live above someone who smokes.
3. Presumably a walk-through was done of the unit - both before the lease was signed and then before move-in. Was smoke smelled then? If the downstairs neighbors are such heavy smokers (OR if the tenants are so sensitive to smoke that even a light smell bothers them), then this could've been discovered at either of those times. If no walk-through was done at any time and the tenants rented sight unseen, that's on them, too.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_greco View Post
You should be ashamed of yourself.
What do you exactly want me to do?

Old 12-02-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatswanlady View Post
If you are depending on the honesty of someone else in any financial transaction, you are setting yourself up for a long and hard life.

1. The lease spelled out that the home was not guaranteed to be smoke-free.
2. If you move into a multi-unit building that is not designated as smoke-free, you take the risk that you're going to live above someone who smokes.
3. Presumably a walk-through was done of the unit - both before the lease was signed and then before move-in. Was smoke smelled then? If the downstairs neighbors are such heavy smokers (OR if the tenants are so sensitive to smoke that even a light smell bothers them), then this could've been discovered at either of those times. If no walk-through was done at any time and the tenants rented sight unseen, that's on them, too.
They came to my condo 4 times

Once to see it
Once to fill the applications and give me application fee
Once to go thru the lease (we stayed there for at least 2 hours)
Once to do the walk thru

Old 12-02-2015, 10:25 AM

1. DID you know there were smokers underneath and the apartment smelled of smoke? Forget your rhetoric on the law. It is a straight up question. Did you ever notice the smell of smoke in there?

2. WILL you, when it is time to rent it out again (whenever that may be) disclose to any potential renters that there are smokers in the building and you have been informed the smell will seep into the apartment.

These are very simple questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting