Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 10:28 AM

70 posts, read 88,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackRyder View Post
1. DID you know there were smokers underneath and the apartment smelled of smoke? Forget your rhetoric on the law. It is a straight up question. Did you ever notice the smell of smoke in there?

When I lived there (almost 18 months ago) I smell smoke once in a while. My HOA is not smoke free BTW

2. WILL you, when it is time to rent it out again (whenever that may be) disclose to any potential renters that there are smokers in the building and you have been informed the smell will seep into the apartment.

I will not rent again. It is going to be sold.

These are very simple questions.
a
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 12:26 PM

296 posts, read 533,088 times
Well thank god at least no other person will have to be victimized again by your, if not criminal, grossly immoral acts of abuse and negligence.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_greco View Post
Well thank god at least no other person will have to be victimized again by your, if not criminal, grossly immoral acts of abuse and negligence.
According to the state I am not doing anything against the law. I am not abusing my tenants. They do not want to negotiate.

My tenants DO NOT WANT to meet. I cannot harassed them into meeting.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:32 PM

278 posts, read 336,671 times
TS, you have a much bigger problem on your hands if you are unable to sell your unit and have to go back to renting it out. I can see a yearly cycle of tenant complaint/harassments of them living in your smoky apartment unit.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo99 View Post
TS, you have a much bigger problem on your hands if you are unable to sell your unit and have to go back to renting it out. I can see a yearly cycle of tenant complaint/harassments of them living in your smoky apartment unit.
There is nothing I can do. The HOA has to change the bylaws.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:14 PM

32,669 posts, read 48,129,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flower2014 View Post
They came to my condo 4 times

Once to see it
Once to fill the applications and give me application fee
Once to go thru the lease (we stayed there for at least 2 hours)
Once to do the walk thru
If the tenants were in the apartment four different times and they are very sensitive to cigarette odors, they didn't smell smoke on those four visits.

They did move from a place that has a reputation of being smelly with tobacco smoke. I think it is possible that their new apartment didn't smell until they moved their furniture into the unit. Their furniture is coming from a place that smelled of smoke, so the furniture is going to smell until it airs out.

Maybe they cancelled the move because they figured out it is their furniture and not the neighbor.

I have very little sympathy for anyone who can't tolerate tobacco smoke and yet moves into a building where smoking is allowed. However, I will not keep a tenant who threatens me and I would be rid of that group as quickly as possible.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:31 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,538,246 times
Quote:
These are independently owned condos... you know, like apartments but you own the unit? (Never did understand why someone would want to do that but...)
This LL cannot control her neighbors anymore than I can demand mine stop BBQing when the wind is headed my way (unless they plan to share that is)!

The tenants need to get an air purifier and deal with it. I don't understand all these posters trying to blame the LL when it is clearly out of her control and she has done nothing wrong. Every time you rent, there is something you miss seeing before moving in. I failed to see that the toilet seat did that funny shift thing when you sat down... my bad or can I get out of my lease because it annoys the hell out of me?

Old 12-02-2015, 09:13 PM

278 posts, read 336,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
These are independently owned condos... you know, like apartments but you own the unit? (Never did understand why someone would want to do that but...)
This LL cannot control her neighbors anymore than I can demand mine stop BBQing when the wind is headed my way (unless they plan to share that is)!

The tenants need to get an air purifier and deal with it. I don't understand all these posters trying to blame the LL when it is clearly out of her control and she has done nothing wrong. Every time you rent, there is something you miss seeing before moving in. I failed to see that the toilet seat did that funny shift thing when you sat down... my bad or can I get out of my lease because it annoys the hell out of me?
Uhhh no, it could be that his condo apartment unit may be defective or damaged, letting lots of smoke in. That is the issue at hand. What part of this don't you understand?

The issue is NOT that the downstairs neighbor is smoking. Only a fool would think that.

Bottom line is IF his unit is indeed that smoky, then he will have many complaints year after year unless the tenants are smokers themselves and don't mind breathing cigarette smoke.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Uhhh no, it could be that his condo apartment unit may be defective or damaged, letting lots of smoke in. That is the issue at hand. What part of this don't you understand?

The issue is NOT that the downstairs neighbor is smoking. Only a fool would think that.

Bottom line is IF his unit is indeed that smoky, then he will have many complaints year after year unless the tenants are smokers themselves and don't mind breathing cigarette smoke.
I tried to get my tenant to a middle ground. They refuse to meet with me. What do you want me to do?

Old 12-02-2015, 09:40 PM

296 posts, read 533,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post

No Kate. Nd the reason why is that a shifting toilet seat is a different than something that has been scientifically shown to cause cancer and other permanent health issues, even in a second hand capacity.

Your analogy doesn't hold up in any way but that's the biggest issue. I could also point out how a shifting toilet seat could be fixed most likely with a twist or two of a screw driver but I won't go there as it would probably be lost on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting