Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 04:10 PM

314 posts, read 555,613 times

Advertisements

My lease renewal is coming up and I have the option of renewing or going month to month. I am currently paying $1,000 for a two bedroom apartment. If I renew for a year, I will see a $10 yearly increase and if I go month to month, I will see a $5 yearly increase. I am not in a rent controlled area, so the $5 yearly increase is only by word of mouth. If I am happy with my place and plan to be in the area for at least another year, would it be to my advantage to just sign the yearly lease? With a month to month, there is also of encountering an unexpected surge in rent at any time. Then again, there is an ample amount of rental property in my area for comparable prices, so if there ever was a spike in rent while going to month to month, I wouldn't have a hard time finding a new place.

Last edited by youngprodigy21; 01-02-2016 at 04:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 06:21 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,246,503 times
That is entirely a personal question. I'm shocked your month to month rate isn't higher than your lease rate.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:37 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,510,312 times
I'm also in shock that your month-to-month costs less. And it's only a $5 increase for the whole year?

$10 for the year is nothing. If you definitely plan to stay there for the year, I'd probably sign that just so I wouldn't have to worry about a possible spike in rent (and then possibly having to find a new place). If you have any thoughts that you might relocate or want to find another place, then go month-to-month.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:16 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,576,047 times
Are your plans stable to the point where you will be there for a year? Persin silly I would lick in a rate for the year. With a mtm the LL can raise your rent every 30 days with notice. $10 a month? How much % is that $10 compared to current rent?

Old 01-03-2016, 12:09 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,711,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Persin silly I would lick in a rate for the year.
LOL Don't you just love auto-correct

Old 01-03-2016, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
LOL Don't you just love auto-correct
Dammit. Personally I would lock in the rate for the year.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:25 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,711,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Dammit. Personally I would lock in the rate for the year.

LOL Too funny! I know how dangerous that damn auto-correct can be LOL

Old 01-03-2016, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
LOL Too funny! I know how dangerous that damn auto-correct can be LOL
Add in sausage sized fingers and a touch pad it's a Greek tragedy.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:43 AM

10,051 posts, read 18,093,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngprodigy21 View Post
My lease renewal is coming up and I have the option of renewing or going month to month. I am currently paying $1,000 for a two bedroom apartment. If I renew for a year, I will see a $10 yearly increase and if I go month to month, I will see a $5 yearly increase. I am not in a rent controlled area, so the $5 yearly increase is only by word of mouth. If I am happy with my place and plan to be in the area for at least another year, would it be to my advantage to just sign the yearly lease? With a month to month, there is also of encountering an unexpected surge in rent at any time. Then again, there is an ample amount of rental property in my area for comparable prices, so if there ever was a spike in rent while going to month to month, I wouldn't have a hard time finding a new place.
Those are really YEARLY increases? I think you meant monthly?

But it's bizarre that if you renew your lease, your rent goes up $10 a month, whereas if you go month-to-month, your rent goes up LESS? I have never heard of that. Most places I lived, the month-to-month rate was WAY higher than the lease-renewal rate (as much as a couple hundred more a month).

I am also surprised that they would raise the rent at all, if they're just going to raise it 1% or .5% (don't think I've ever seen increases that low either).

And what do you mean "the $5 yearly increase is only by word of mouth" -- you don't KNOW, you've just heard some vague rumor about it? Again, that's very bizarre wording. What does your actual LL say?

Personally I would renew the lease to lock in the $10/month increase. Yes, you could move, but you'd likely have a week or two "overlap" (more rent) plus moving expenses.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:41 PM

314 posts, read 555,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Those are really YEARLY increases? I think you meant monthly?

But it's bizarre that if you renew your lease, your rent goes up $10 a month, whereas if you go month-to-month, your rent goes up LESS? I have never heard of that. Most places I lived, the month-to-month rate was WAY higher than the lease-renewal rate (as much as a couple hundred more a month).

I am also surprised that they would raise the rent at all, if they're just going to raise it 1% or .5% (don't think I've ever seen increases that low either).

And what do you mean "the $5 yearly increase is only by word of mouth" -- you don't KNOW, you've just heard some vague rumor about it? Again, that's very bizarre wording. What does your actual LL say?

Personally I would renew the lease to lock in the $10/month increase. Yes, you could move, but you'd likely have a week or two "overlap" (more rent) plus moving expenses.

For a year lease renewal, the rent goes up $10 a month.

For month to month, the rent increase is only $5 a month. The $5 yearly increase on the month to month agreement is what my landlord told my neighbor. My neighbor's lease was up last month, and he decided to go month to month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting