Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 06:52 PM

19 posts, read 14,833 times

Advertisements

So I have to rent for the first time since 2006 and it sucks. The last place I looked at was cold and wet and the realtor doing the listing seemed pissed at me for having her out there. The unprofessionalism was enough to make me say forget it. So I called another place I was interested in and the guy asks me what I "do" (job/work/etc). I told him the truth, that I'm not at this time but have money from an insurance settlement which is true. He then asked me if I was related to a few people who I have never heard of in my life and said he would call back tomorrow. He gave no specific time because I don't work and that means I'm available all day (his suggestion). Was this guy actually saying say "no way you're gonna live here you unemployed loser! It's sure gonna be funny to imagine you waiting for me to call you back all day!" ?? I mean I'm trying to be positive but was this part of the screening test and I failed? I just figure that he would have talked about having me fill out an application.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 07:11 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Get over it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherOneOfThese View Post
So I have to rent for the first time since 2006 and it sucks. The last place I looked at was cold and wet and the realtor doing the listing seemed pissed at me for having her out there. The unprofessionalism was enough to make me say forget it. So I called another place I was interested in and the guy asks me what I "do" (job/work/etc). I told him the truth, that I'm not at this time but have money from an insurance settlement which is true. He then asked me if I was related to a few people who I have never heard of in my life and said he would call back tomorrow. He gave no specific time because I don't work and that means I'm available all day (his suggestion). Was this guy actually saying say "no way you're gonna live here you unemployed loser! It's sure gonna be funny to imagine you waiting for me to call you back all day!" ?? I mean I'm trying to be positive but was this part of the screening test and I failed? I just figure that he would have talked about having me fill out an application.
Under Federal Fair Housing regulations, there is no special protection for those lacking an income. If you have an insurance settlement, or even won a huge lump sum in PowerBall you do NOT have any income unless you have filed taxes to show that it is earning enough to keep you well off.

If you are OK with paying the a whole year's lease with a certified check maybe that would be a short cut to getting your application approved, but frankly the landlord may not want somebody that has no job and money to burn hanging out in their apartment all day and partying with their free-loading friends all nights -- it sorts creates an issue for the other tenants...

Maybe if your insurance settlement is big enough you can buy a place of your own.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:29 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
I think the guy sounds noncommittal - he's collecting potentials right now.

You need to be honest about your situation, so you need to find a LL who will listen to you. You're pretty unlikely to find that LL through regular channels - like a realtor - so you'll need to cast your net more widely.

I found my current place, which turned out to be a very good fit, by placing an ad on craigslist. In it, I emphasized the kind of person I am, and offered to trade skills for partial rent. She didn't take me up on that offer - which is fine - but the list of skills I was willing to trade for turned out to be another way of telling her what kind of person I am. (BTW, don't make this offer unless you can provide at least one credible reference as to the actual existence of the skill in question.)

Many LLs won't take a year's rent as a lump sum in advance. Makes them nervous about your source of non job income, and also makes them nervous about the hassle involved in getting out of the rental agreement should they feel the need.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:12 PM

19 posts, read 14,833 times
Oh, hey nobody is getting 12 months rent upfront. I mentioned that it was a structured settlement, I generally thought that people also knew that this = fixed income. I avoided that exact term though ("fixed income") because I'm under the impression that this term is used by people who have income that comes directly from treasuries or social security. I'm just wondering if there were more questions that would have been asked if I passed the test. In the past I've only rented from those creepy apartment complexes that over charge and under serve. I guess that they just have high turnover so they're willing to take a chance.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:38 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
......... structured settlement, ....... I avoided that exact term .......
Your best answer would be, "No, I don't have a job, but I have a regular income that is verifiable. I can bring proof of income when I come to apply". Carry a copy of your award letter and several months worth of bank statements with you to show.

It sounds suspiciously to me like you have the same last name as a family of local troublemakers. Maybe the landlord is verifying that you are not related. Or maybe he doesn't want to take a chance that you really are related.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:41 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,159,124 times
Quote:
Actually I would be more worried you like to sue people.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Oh, hey nobody is getting 12 months rent upfront. I mentioned that it was a structured settlement, I generally thought that people also knew that this = fixed income. I avoided that exact term though ("fixed income") because I'm under the impression that this term is used by people who have income that comes directly from treasuries or social security. I'm just wondering if there were more questions that would have been asked if I passed the test. In the past I've only rented from those creepy apartment complexes that over charge and under serve. I guess that they just have high turnover so they're willing to take a chance.
People get 12 month rent upfront ALL THE TIME> Pretty much near me every international student, every student where parents won't sign lease or people who work off the books.

Plus some landlords want it. Once condo near me which was just all renovated as owner bought it in a BK. He only asked for a lump sum years rent. He gave $150 bucks a month off. I have even heard of two years upfront.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Under Federal Fair Housing regulations, there is no special protection for those lacking an income. If you have an insurance settlement, or even won a huge lump sum in PowerBall you do NOT have any income unless you have filed taxes to show that it is earning enough to keep you well off.

If you are OK with paying the a whole year's lease with a certified check maybe that would be a short cut to getting your application approved, but frankly the landlord may not want somebody that has no job and money to burn hanging out in their apartment all day and partying with their free-loading friends all nights -- it sorts creates an issue for the other tenants...

Maybe if your insurance settlement is big enough you can buy a place of your own.
FHA rules do not apply when renting directly from a small landlord with no realtor involved.

And even if someone was a super rich person I dont rent to folks home all day. It greatly increases wear and tear on unit.

Right now I have one tenant in a unit, DINKs, double income no kids. They dont smoke, no pets, no plants. The couple works six days a week. Pretty much 10 hour days 6 days a week. They are from out of state. So Thanksgiving, New Years, XMAS they leave unit empty. It is a furnished unit.

The identical unit next door also furnished rents for $250 more a month. It is a couple with two kids in college, wife works part time, they just sold house as husband can no longer work due to illness. So four folks in house, birthday parties, holiday parties, kids jumping on furniture, nurses aids coming and going.

Fridges, ovens, toliets, showers, beds, coaches only have so much life in them. My place nothing ever breaks.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:31 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
Quote:
I MIGHT consider you with a double deposit (my state allows this, not all do) if you had cash reserves in your bank account AND if the lawsuit was something I felt was reasonable. If you had a history of suing people, I wouldn't rent to you, because that gives a "nothing is ever my fault" impression, and I don't like renting to people who won't take responsibility for their lives.

But my guess is that a structured settlement probably isn't garnishable in the case that I have to get a judgement for nonpayment or damages. So I'd want to make sure there was some other means of getting my money. Same reason I don't like renting to self-employed people, because they usually aren't garnishable.

I also hate the term "fixed income", but for a reason other than you stated. Honestly, aren't most people on a "fixed income"? There are a few people (in sales, for example) who can really put in some effort and make some extra money, but most people don't have that option. Most people work a 40 hour a week job at a set rate, which means a "fixed income". I would guess that 90% of renters (or more) are on a relatively "fixed income".

Old 01-07-2016, 11:17 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,410,495 times
Wink hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
Actually I would be more worried you like to sue people.

You know, there is an old saying...'a skunk smells it's own scent first'. Get it? I think I'd be more worried about you.
Koale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting