Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 01:45 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas6023 View Post
.....So instead of having to pencil in so much on my current lease agreement i would like to look into one that isn't 6 pages long and is a bit more clearer what is expected.......
A six page lease is pretty short.

Instead of penciling in, work up an addendum on your word processor and label Addendum A and in the lease, you write see Addendum A. Everybody signs it and gets a copy.

I buy my rental agreement from a law firm here in my own state, and the rental agreement is specific to my state law, so it would do you no good at all.

Besides my addendum A, I also have a pet addendum, and a no smoking addendum. If the house is older, the lead pamphlet has to be given.

The rental agreement I use has the required smoke detector and lead paint notifications built in to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 02:55 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Back when I started the rental agreement was one single page with an Inventory/Condition Addendum attached.

Now it is 29 pages because of all the mandated disclosures... things like the city smoking ordinance, rent arbitration board, just cause eviction, Meagan's law, lead, asbestos, smoke detector, city phone numbers etc...

I do miss the old days were things were simple and if there was a problem tenant simply choosing not to renew the lease was the simplest option.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:13 PM

122 posts, read 134,449 times
I hear you folks on not having to have a book to sign just to cover your own ass. I to would just like to have communication with the tenants about anything they want to do or have fixed. I do need to generate a new contract though. The one I have is not specific to my state so glad I did ask for help through the forum. Thanks everyone

Old 01-22-2016, 11:44 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times
Quote:
I hear you folks on not having to have a book to sign just to cover your own ass. I to would just like to have communication with the tenants about anything they want to do or have fixed. I do need to generate a new contract though. The one I have is not specific to my state so glad I did ask for help through the forum. Thanks everyone
if you are in Texas get a lease form at the TREC website. Texas Real Estate Commission. It is a lease that judges are familiar with and honor in civil court.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:30 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
My first lease ever signed was one page. The second page was the signatures. It was so basic, rent is due X time late by X time. Names of tenants and our names. Ha. How far we come. Now it's 10-11 pages and growing. Covers a lot if things and I'm still making notes as to what I need to add next time. We can thank litigation, lawyers, people who sue at the drop of a hat. I estimate eventually due to having to spell out every little do and dont scenario possible I'll have a lease about the thickness of a typical reading magazine.

I have great communication with my tenants but sometimes communication isnt enough. And if it's not written down and agreed to it can't be enforced as easily.

Old 01-24-2016, 04:28 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
When I rented it was a one year lease.
Some place it did state that if rent became month to month all of the terms of the lease agreement applied Except the term period obviously.
Later the landlord added in lease agreement that the rent would increase $200.00 per month if a new lease was not signed before anniversary date. An incentive for renter to sign a new lease. Doing this the rent remained the same on new lease period. Rent was never increased when I signed a new lease. If I did not sign a new agreement the rent now month to month would have gone up $200.00.
Different areas of the country vary as to rental market. If you are happy with renters then don't raise the rent. If there is an extreme shortage of rental units and your costs go up, then maybe some increase is necessary.
As a renter I had to obtain my own renters insurance that included personal property and liability.
Make sure that you have proper insurance as the landlord. In some states the insurance has to be a commercial insurance policy and not a simple homeowners policy.
In some states judges don't like long leases. So suggest you go to a real estate agent that does have a standard lease and copy it. Or as stated above find a landlords association and join that group and use their recommended lease. You can always add a few items such as the no ganja or no smoking.
Painting. Why let amateurs paint anything? If the walls need painting you the landlord should do this or hire a professional. If you allow pets best to speak with your insurance agent or company. Best to discuss with renters what normal wear and tear is and what is actual damage. My lease did not allow me to fix anything. A professional (or landlord) was required to fix all damage. Everyone living in rental unit should sign the lease - except children of course.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:59 AM

I use an 8-page lease used by the Real Estate Commission that is very specific and add a section for additional conditions. I also have a pet lease which covers rules for pets. Here are some of the additions to my leases in an addedum section:

Fence gates to be secured at all times with LL provided locks; or for condos/townhouses patio gates secured from inside.

All painting must be pre-approved by Landlord

Yard and landscaping must be mowed and trimmed and watered weekly in the growing season. At the 3rd warning, Landlord will arrange for yard service and rent will be increased to cover professional landscaping expenses.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:03 AM

461 posts, read 667,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Back when I started the rental agreement was one single page with an Inventory/Condition Addendum attached.

Now it is 29 pages because of all the mandated disclosures... things like the city smoking ordinance, rent arbitration board, just cause eviction, Meagan's law, lead, asbestos, smoke detector, city phone numbers etc...

I do miss the old days were things were simple and if there was a problem tenant simply choosing not to renew the lease was the simplest option.
Assume you are in CA? I don't have a "just cause" addendum in my lease. Didn't know it was mandatory.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:24 AM

oh, I also require tenants, per lease, to register any firearms with me and show me the safe they keep firearems in.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:13 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by generalswife View Post
Assume you are in CA? I don't have a "just cause" addendum in my lease. Didn't know it was mandatory.
Yes... SF Bay Area to be exact.

Funny thing is when I first became a Landlord it was really very simple... home had to meet State Habitability requirements and I needed to have a business license in my name...

Over the years the list of mandatory requirements, applicable law and disclosures keeps growing...

It is so incredibly easy to get tripped up as a Landlord with residential rentals.

Spent many a night speaking at city council meetings without success.... pretty much seemed Council had made up it's mind and the the public discussion was simply a formality.

I've learned what happens here has a good chance of coming to a town near you... eventually.

Just Cause Statute is at the city level for the bulk of my rentals...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting