Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2016, 09:47 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,688,085 times

Advertisements

Does AirBnB have a customer service department for hosts? I absolutely HATE their pricing template. Cannot figure it out. I set a weekly and a monthly price. I had previously set a daily rate on their calendar but now I can't get rid of it. I don't rent by the day.

VRBO is so much simpler and straight forward.

The other thing I hate about Air BnB is that they insist on handling the transaction and with credit card. What happens if someone books for 2 months with a stolen credit card? I'm screwed. That's why I reject anyone unless they are high profile (ex- doctor, lawyer, etc). VRBO allows you to accept payments yourself. I have people slit it. 50% VRBO and 50% through check, cashier's check or bank to bank POP Money transfer. In the real estate world nobody accepts credit cards for transactions. Air BnB is just too much risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 10:39 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,703,352 times
I see there is a Help link and a Contact link on their main page. Have you tried either one of those? I can't get any of the info because you have to be a member to login and get it.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:23 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,396,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
Does AirBnB have a customer service department for hosts? I absolutely HATE their pricing template. Cannot figure it out. I set a weekly and a monthly price. I had previously set a daily rate on their calendar but now I can't get rid of it. I don't rent by the day.

The other thing I hate about Air BnB is that they insist on handling the transaction and with credit card. What happens if someone books for 2 months with a stolen credit card? I'm screwed. That's why I reject anyone unless they are high profile (ex- doctor, lawyer, etc). VRBO allows you to accept payments yourself. I have people slit it. 50% VRBO and 50% through check, cashier's check or bank to bank POP Money transfer. In the real estate world nobody accepts credit cards for transactions. Air BnB is just too much risk.
This is one reason we do not advertise on Air BnB with our vacation rentals. You can't make their cancellation policy match yours, among other aspects that we don't like. I guess it's okay for individuals who live right on or near the rental but for the majority of vacation rentals, I can't see it's value at all.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
This is one reason we do not advertise on Air BnB with our vacation rentals. You can't make their cancellation policy match yours, among other aspects that we don't like. I guess it's okay for individuals who live right on or near the rental but for the majority of vacation rentals, I can't see it's value at all.
Yes I have a 3 month cancellation policy for the Summer months on VRBO. What is Air BnB's longest cancellation period? 50% refund up until ONLY 1 week prior to arrival! Useless! That basically gives me no time to find a cheap apartment if someone books for 30 days. They all book up 2 months in advance. I have to settle for a much more expensive hotel. I'm thinking about just greying out the Summer months on Air BnB and just deal with VRBO from June to mid September. Air BnB makes it impossible.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:21 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post

Ya know, there's a very simple solution here. Just don't use Airbnb. They are a business and set their own policies. Nobody is requiring you to use their services.

Just sayin'

Old 01-25-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Ya know, there's a very simple solution here. Just don't use Airbnb. They are a business and set their own policies. Nobody is requiring you to use their services.

Just sayin'
I decided that I'm only going to use Air BnB during off-peak months and I'll require that people 1) be ID verified and 2) they book at least 30 days in advance (to help ward off credit card fraudsters).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting