Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 05:43 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftworthTxTennant View Post
........ The money was refunded back to us 12 days after orginal payment date. .......
You got evicted because you didn't pay the rent. The landlord contacted you to say he hadn't received the rent and you should have rushed right over and put rent money in his hand. You don't wait for a refund on a money order meanwhile leaving the rent unpaid.

Next time you'll know better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 07:54 PM

151 posts, read 189,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
In the future, never, ever agree to something such as this. You should always mail your check certified so you get a receipt when it is received. If the landlord won't accept those terms, chances are he's not honest, so you walk away.
This exactly. I would never leave my rent check in a mailbox.. I would offer to bring it directly to the landlord if needed.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:28 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
It takes a lot longer than 12 days for moneygram to refund 'lost' money orders.

Like it or not, you were in the wrong. You should've had a replacement check in your landlord's hand within MINUTES of his saying the check wasn't there.

Yes, I discovered that by reading the fine print back before eBay bought PayPal and required users to pay through PP - occasionally I'd find a seller who did not accept PayPal at the time, and paid with money orders. I'm glad I never had a money order go wrong because moneygram makes it a PITA to get back your own money.

I don't know many people who could instantaneously fund a second money order for rent when the first money order is lost or stolen.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You got evicted because you didn't pay the rent. The landlord contacted you to say he hadn't received the rent and you should have rushed right over and put rent money in his hand. You don't wait for a refund on a money order meanwhile leaving the rent unpaid.

Next time you'll know better.

So a lot or people are dead ducks waiting to be defrauded into eviction when they can't afford to pay twice.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
First yo are in Texas so you are behind the eight ball already.

Your situation illustrates why a tenant has to absolutely understand rent payments and procedures both as the landlord requires and as a court will interpret.

1. You place the money in an unattended mailbox which translates to you having absolutely no proof you paid the rent.
2. When first informed the rent was not received, you must immediately pay the rent!
3. If you do not pay the rent immediately when told it was not received, you can be evicted for non payment.

Unless you have proof the landlord received the funds, lost payments is all on you to resolve.

Perhaps landlord was negligent in not securing his mailbox? I once had a landlord who had his own secured mailbox on the property. This isn't rocket science.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:12 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
If it is a true mailbox only the USPS is allowed to put anything inside it.

We have apartments with drop boxes... these are not mailboxes.

I still use checks for important things... a simple call to my bank will initiate a stop-payment.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:20 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,055,664 times
No replies from the OP ? Perhaps they were looking for sympahty for doing a dumb thing>

Old 01-30-2016, 10:23 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
So a lot or people are dead ducks waiting to be defrauded into eviction when they can't afford to pay twice.

They weren't defrauded...they didn't pay their rent on time. The second they found out the money order was missing they should've replaced it....whether they can or not is their problem, NOT the landlord's.

Anyone business or business owner would expect the same.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:34 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
When I tried to use a MoneyGram to buy something a few years ago it became Lost Money gram wouldn't even Look into the MO status until it was Missing for 15 days. I received No Money back till 45 More days! Just saying.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:45 AM

544 posts, read 1,238,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
When I tried to use a MoneyGram to buy something a few years ago it became Lost Money gram wouldn't even Look into the MO status until it was Missing for 15 days. I received No Money back till 45 More days! Just saying.
yes, they have to wait a certain amount of days to do a search for the missing money order and then there's a charge to the payee .. happened to me, but luckily was usps was delayed with shipment. i didn't get a refund for the search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting