Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2016, 06:22 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times

Advertisements

Today I found out that the world has hit a milestone. What is it? We exceeded 400 PPM (parts per million) concentration of Carbon Dioxide (O2) in the atmosphere. Apparently a safe level is 350 PPM. https://scripps.ucsd.edu/programs/keelingcurve/
Scientists think this is the highest level since humans were on earth. I've dedicated myself today to make 400 posts to discuss ways to make more oxygen (that humans breathe) and reduce the amount of CO2 (that we cannot breathe) in our world.

Dying while gasping for breath on some sort of inhospitable planet sounds like my worst nightmare. For my first post, I'm starting a thread about how apartment dwellers can create more oxygen for themselves and mankind. This is mainly for people in urban apartments who may not have tons of light or room or greenery. Please feel free to add your comments and suggestions or even flame me.

Aglaonema Bathroom plant. They need somewhat high humidity, and they can live with low light levels. That means some indirect light from an open window at least. Not zero light. To give them more humidity, I'm using a pebble tray. Water them once a week. You need a pot, potting soil, pebbles and an aglaonema. This is a nice plant for you, a special tenant, a friend or a loved one IMO. Note the plant is reportedly toxic to dogs and cats.

Aglaonema Houseplants Growing and Care Guide
http://farmlifenursery.com/sites/far...?itok=TGlTCkbd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 08:52 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I've dedicated myself today to make 400 posts to discuss ways to make more oxygen
Only 399 posts to go. Better hurry up, the day is almost over.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:17 PM

488 posts, read 857,602 times
I live in an apartment in the desert with no humidity, no windows in my bathrooms, I have pets, and I've just managed to kill a cactus. Any plant recommendations for me?

Old 02-10-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyJune View Post
I live in an apartment in the desert with no humidity, no windows in my bathrooms, I have pets, and I've just managed to kill a cactus. Any plant recommendations for me?
Well let's see. It is is possible the cactus died from root rot. You should use terracotta pots with drainage holes and let the cactus potting mix dry out between watering. If you are willing to get a full spectrum bulb and keep the lights on, you may be able to provide bright light conditions in the bathroom. Outside the bathroom, you can keep plants near windows.

According to The World Encyclopedia of Cacti and Succulents (Anderson, pg 34), There are succulent species that will survive all but the most dimly lit interior... Perhaps you can try a succulent. Again they need some light to live. Growing under artificial light has become common for residences without adequate indoor sunlight (pg 34). Turn the lights off at night.

The author recommends halide lights, which in 1998 when the book was published were the best option, but you should be able to get a full spectrum bulb at a reasonable price now. Fluorescent light is the other option the book recommended. Here are some succulents you can try in dry areas:
abromeitiella brevifolia
agave victoria reginae*
aloe "Doran Black"
ceropegia
Echeveria purpusorum
ficus palmeri **

* You can also try other agaves. Per Garden Design magazine, issue 189 At Home with Agaves pg 115. ...watering once a week is sufficient..they can tolerate low light for several weeks...stronger light is preferable.

** per Anderson pg 164, [ficus palmeri] will tolerate deep shade to full sun...if it is kept too dry, readily defoliates. But the leaves grow back when you water it again! Sounds very cool. The Garden forum has a houseplant expert, I'll see if he can come over and offer some more suggestions. Hope this helps.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:19 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyJune View Post
Dracaenas, especially dracaena fragrans and commonly called corn plant, take minimal light, so do some ferns. I have a few epiphytic cactus that take minimal light and grow. Dumb canes, dieffenbachia also take little light. Ficus benjamina take very little light and grows well. Pothos a vine can be encouraged to grow up walls, over windows and one that I grew over several years was suspended across the bedroom ceiling by over 300 cup hooks. I have a squirrel foot fern that thrives in the bathroom with just some light from the skylight. Begonias do well in a well lit window and bloom, so do African violets. Philodendrons can take almost no light and still grow, though very slowly...... I have all of these in our house, five large Ficus trees, several large begonias and a large philodendron. House plants not only manufacture oxygen, they also remove many volotile organic compounds, smoke and other pollutants and raise the humidity.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Only 399 posts to go. Better hurry up, the day is almost over.
There was no time limit. But I've just done some research, and I think we're doomed. Basically WE BROKE EARTH. I'm not kidding. I'd started to do some reading to see how we could fix the CO2, but we may be f_cked.

That is my non-expert opinion. Based on the reading I've done, earth was balanced so the temperature here was livable. CO2 is hard to get out of the atmosphere. But for some reason, we took a bunch of carbon out of the ground and turned it into gas. The oceans and the trees ha ha ha can't absorb it all. There are not enough trees, and the ocean may turn into a dead ocean if it did absorb it all...

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. How the heck did we break an entire planet? Since 1997, they have been thinking of ways to get rid of the CO2..but now in California, they have released an even worse earth-heating gas---> methane. We are so f_cked. The best options are apparently to try to suck up the carbon and inject it back into the earth?

I'm not sure why governments are not doing something about this. And why did anybody allow China to create all that extra pollution. Dumbest idea ever. No WONDER billionaires are spending so much trying to get off of earth. We need to fund NASA again so they can try to find another planet because it looks like the time we have may be seriously limited on this one.

References if you want to read:
The Carbon Cycle : Feature Articles
https://books.google.com/books?id=on...page&q&f=false

Old 02-14-2016, 05:52 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
If you are willing to get a full spectrum bulb and keep the lights on,
Is it just me, or am I the only one who finds it hilariously funny that in a thread about how to cut down on CO2 emissions, the OP suggests leaving lights ON, thereby actually creating MORE CO2 emissions....?

Old 02-14-2016, 06:19 PM

14,485 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Shhh!

It's OK though... Plants actually like CO2.

You know farmers actually run CO2 generators?

https://www.google.com/search?q=CO2+...rator&tbm=shop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting