Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,518 times

Advertisements

Our landlord emailed us with an itemized rental deposit statement. It was all crap and fortunately I have pictures to prove it. What I need to know is if the email counts as a written itemized statement. I live in Iowa and the landlord has 30 days to provide one. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 04:44 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyirene74 View Post
Our landlord emailed us with an itemized rental deposit statement. It was all crap and fortunately I have pictures to prove it. What I need to know is if the email counts as a written itemized statement. I live in Iowa and the landlord has 30 days to provide one. Thank you.
Yes, electronic communications are acceptable nowadays. The only thing would be if he was supposed to also include receipts. Google Iowa and "landlord security deposit" and you should get a link that says everything the LL is supposed to do.

Also, does he also owe you money left from the deposit after deductions? If he owes you money and didn't get the money to you within the 30 days, then he hasn't met the requirements.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:26 PM

548 posts, read 815,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Yes, electronic communications are acceptable nowadays.
Not necessarily; check on what is common practice in your location. My wife's law firm has a tenant rights unit, and I asked her exactly this question months ago, figuring any sort of reasonable communication would count.

Nope, or at least not guarranteed. From what she says, their attorneys have won cases against landlords simply for sending written notice via regular first class mail, as opposed to certified mail -- which state law explicitly specifies is to be used for non-renewal notices and security deposit withold notices. Email only? Definitely would not be a sure thing around here. SMS txt message? No way.

OP should check their lease too. I know our own lease specifically stated that notice shall be defined as communication in writing, sent first class certified return receipt. The clause did allow hand delivery with mutual acknowledgement, but there was no provision one party to unilaterally go for an electronic method instead.

That said, suing over the deposit, and with the form of notice being the only issue, may not be worth it.

Likewise, in OP's state, and even practice specifically in the courts in their location within that state, might be different.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:51 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Here's a link to the Iowa statutes, scroll down a short way to "Rental Deposits":

About.com: http://coolice.legis.iowa.gov/Cool-ICE/default.asp?Category=billinfo&Service=IowaCode&inp ut=562A#562A.12

It seems there is no specificity where the manner of delivery is concerned, as long as it's delivered to a known address of the tenant.

You should email him back, advise that you dispute the deductions and tell him why. Don't tell him you have photographs.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:10 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
As far as I'm concerned email is an unreliable and unprovable means of delivery, and is not valid unless the recipient acknowledges receipt.

Send me an email and prove I got it. No I didn't. Maybe your server failed, or my Internet provider failed.

The proper means of delivering communications provably is certified mail return receipt required.

Email may be usable in an informal means but it is not legal delivery.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:12 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyirene74 View Post
What is an "itemized rental deposit statement?"

Old 07-01-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neguy99 View Post
Not necessarily; check on what is common practice in your location. My wife's law firm has a tenant rights unit, and I asked her exactly this question months ago, figuring any sort of reasonable communication would count.

Nope, or at least not guarranteed. From what she says, their attorneys have won cases against landlords simply for sending written notice via regular first class mail, as opposed to certified mail -- which state law explicitly specifies is to be used for non-renewal notices and security deposit withold notices. Email only? Definitely would not be a sure thing around here. SMS txt message? No way.

OP should check their lease too. I know our own lease specifically stated that notice shall be defined as communication in writing, sent first class certified return receipt. The clause did allow hand delivery with mutual acknowledgement, but there was no provision one party to unilaterally go for an electronic method instead.

That said, suing over the deposit, and with the form of notice being the only issue, may not be worth it.

Likewise, in OP's state, and even practice specifically in the courts in their location within that state, might be different.

Well, there's this little thing called the Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act (ESIGN)

I think a good lawyer, up on the new laws, would have won. Or at least made a very decent case that an email is equal to any other written communication.

Is an electronic signature legal

My understanding, is that if email communication has occurred between the parties, it is an acceptable, legal form of written communication going forward.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:31 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
As far as I'm concerned email is an unreliable and unprovable means of delivery, and is not valid unless the recipient acknowledges receipt.

Send me an email and prove I got it. No I didn't. Maybe your server failed, or my Internet provider failed.

The proper means of delivering communications provably is certified mail return receipt required.

Email may be usable in an informal means but it is not legal delivery.
The courts certainely disagree with you, and that is what is being discussed here and what matters.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:26 AM

548 posts, read 815,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Well, there's this little thing called the Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act (ESIGN)

I think a good lawyer, up on the new laws, would have won. Or at least made a very decent case that an email is equal to any other written communication.

Is an electronic signature legal

My understanding, is that if email communication has occurred between the parties, it is an acceptable, legal form of written communication going forward.

ESIGN doesn't apply here. That has to do with whether eletronic signatures can validly substitute for hardcopy signatures. In this case, the question is whether the sending an email counts as notice, particularly given that there is zero proof of delivery to the intended recipient (which is not true of a two-way e-signature transaction). Even if someone replied to an email stating, "I agree", there are specific technical definitions of what counts as an "e-signature" that a plain text, unauthenticated email do not meet.

I would also note this important caveat from your summary of the ESIGN legislation:

"ESIGN mandates that information legally required to be in writing can be made available electronically to a consumer only if he or she affirmatively consents to receive the information electronically,"

Did the renter in this case give written consent to the LL *in advance* that they would accept electronic notice in place of hardcopy notices? Prior use of email for informal communication with a business does not necesarily constitute explicit, affirmative consent that notices required to be in writing by state law can be sent electronically instead. A business certainly can't unilaterally declare that email counts as notice.

Now if the relevant state law is silent on the precise form of notice that may not matter, as appears to be the case here.

In my state, I guess it's possible that my wife's firm has the only "good lawyers" in the state, but it seems unlikely.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neguy99 View Post
ESIGN doesn't apply here. That has to do with whether eletronic signatures can validly substitute for hardcopy signatures. In this case, the question is whether the sending an email counts as notice, particularly given that there is zero proof of delivery to the intended recipient (which is not true of a two-way e-signature transaction). Even if someone replied to an email stating, "I agree", there are specific technical definitions of what counts as an "e-signature" that a plain text, unauthenticated email do not meet.

I would also note this important caveat from your summary of the ESIGN legislation:

"ESIGN mandates that information legally required to be in writing can be made available electronically to a consumer only if he or she affirmatively consents to receive the information electronically,"

Did the renter in this case give written consent to the LL *in advance* that they would accept electronic notice in place of hardcopy notices? Prior use of email for informal communication with a business does not necesarily constitute explicit, affirmative consent that notices required to be in writing by state law can be sent electronically instead. A business certainly can't unilaterally declare that email counts as notice.

Now if the relevant state law is silent on the precise form of notice that may not matter, as appears to be the case here.

In my state, I guess it's possible that my wife's firm has the only "good lawyers" in the state, but it seems unlikely.

Read a little further down the page.

Just because someone gets a JD, doesn't mean they know all the laws in the United States.

I represented myself in my workers comp claim, and there were new workers comp laws that said I win my case (in a nutshell). The insurance lawyer started presenting her case according to the old laws and procedures. I said, no according to the new law, that's not right. The judge said, yes it is. I humbly said, no it's section...and the judge interrupted me and stated an old section. I humbly said, no, it's the new section blah blah blah. The judge then opened up his new law book, and found the new section and apologized for not knowing the new law.

Just because someone is a judge or a lawyer, doesn't make them up on the new laws, or always right.

I won't change your mind in this thread. But, if we ended up in court, I would refer to the section you didn't take the time to read. And I would win. IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting