Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 03:20 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,591,209 times

Advertisements

For me just having a clean apartment where everything works is good enough. All the nice upgrades just increase the rent. Most people rent because they can't afford to own so keeping the rent low is key. Upgrading things naturally upgrades the rent. If i want luxuries i will put them in my future home that i own. For me an apartment is just a roof over my head a stepping stone into owning. I could never be happy renting an apartment no matter how nice it is because it's not mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 04:11 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Growing up my Dad said why would I get a dishwasher... I have kids.

Always kind of stuck with me... the most demanding tenants, in my experience, are those with subsidized housing and those renting high end places...

The middle just looks for a place to call home...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 03-04-2016 at 10:54 AM..

Old 03-03-2016, 04:26 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Reading this I'm thinking all the things I'm missing out by owning.

I have Formica Counters, Linoleum floors, no dishwasher, no cable, no self cleaning oven, no ice maker, etc... basically a 1958 home in the SF Bay Area.
Well, there are those of us in the renting class. I appreciate paying $200 less in rent than I would in a newer place with new things. Push button stove and range, countertop dishwasher, etc...I appreciate the neighborhood and the square footage far more than I need countertops.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:37 PM

The nice thing about renting is that you are renting... as situations change there is no long term commitment.

The only granite counters I have are for my Section 8 tenants... it was a big deal and they were NOT expensive.

All my units have hardwood... under the carpet... just the reality... even the high end home has a gorgeous parquet floor in the family room... you guessed it.. tenant said it was cold and dark... said they would stay if I did carpet... this is a very nice home... 4800 square feet with 5 bedrooms, slate, hardwood and now a carpeted family room...

Old 03-03-2016, 06:16 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Smoke, what is your target market? Are you in an area where people can and will pay more for the above? ........
New construction will hopefully attract young professionals. Those will be upgraded, also located in one of the most desirable neighborhoods in the town. Two will only be 800 square feet, so hoping to attract an up and coming young single person. These will be upgraded, but I don;t want to pay for upgrades that make no difference to a tenant.

I also own a couple of houses that are the lowest rent for a detached house in the area. I'm removing carpeting and installing wood floors and Allure flooring in those and the tenants seem to like it. I'd be willing to do other upgrades if it looks like tenants would be really attracted to them.

My tenants like a work bench in the garage. I get some construction workers who have tools, and I also get tenants who have hobbies that they would like storage space for. One of my tenants makes gorgeous furniture; I just bought a set of custom made shelves from him.

Other things that I love, tenants have no use for. I've got a master bedroom that has a bay window looking out on the garden. No tenant has ever so much as glanced at it. I think that home owners and tenants are sometimes looking for different things.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:36 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
New construction will hopefully attract young professionals. Those will be upgraded, also located in one of the most desirable neighborhoods in the town. Two will only be 800 square feet, so hoping to attract an up and coming young single person. These will be upgraded, but I don;t want to pay for upgrades that make no difference to a tenant.

I also own a couple of houses that are the lowest rent for a detached house in the area. I'm removing carpeting and installing wood floors and Allure flooring in those and the tenants seem to like it. I'd be willing to do other upgrades if it looks like tenants would be really attracted to them.

My tenants like a work bench in the garage. I get some construction workers who have tools, and I also get tenants who have hobbies that they would like storage space for. One of my tenants makes gorgeous furniture; I just bought a set of custom made shelves from him.

Other things that I love, tenants have no use for. I've got a master bedroom that has a bay window looking out on the garden. No tenant has ever so much as glanced at it. I think that home owners and tenants are sometimes looking for different things.
Speaking as a millennial professional, I can tell you that a lot of my generation might go for something like the wine cooler. Wood or quality faux wood floors, carpet probably in the bedrooms. Laundry can be in a closet. Girls will like having lots and lots of closet space, especially the demographic you're trying to attract. My GF rented her apartment largely because of the enormous walk in closet, although the rest of the apartment has few upgrades aside from the dishwasher.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:38 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Should had added to my comment about sufficient insulation and no air leaks. . . that if a tenant rents a unit where the LL pays the utilities there will be proper insulation and no air leaks.
^^^^This. I once had a landlord that let our electric bill escalate to nearly $600 on a modest house and did nothing.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:56 AM

Same home with extreme utilitiy bills and the only difference... the occupants.

The elderly single lady $50 a month... the single 22 year old with a child... $300 a month...

One was always cold and the other dressed warm... and it was not the elderly lady that was cold...

Old 03-05-2016, 02:11 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I know there are lots of renters that read this forum. Would you please give a bit of help to my future tenants and let me know what upgrades are important to tenants. When you are searching for a new place to live, what features make your eyes sparkle?
Plumbing that works (bathtub not slow-draining) and water pressure that makes a shower very nice, and water hot enough to be able to take a hot shower.

No bugs. Get an exterminator to come in once a year or twice a year.

Painting - let the tenant pick out from a choice of 10 colors, then let the tenant have a wall where they can have you paint it their special color (its called an accent wall).

Air conditioning - letting the tenant be able to control the heat is good.

Landlord pays basic cable for the building. (saves the tenant about $40 to $60 a month).

Laundry facilities - coin operated washer/ dryer.

in unit washer/dryer

swimming pool; jacuzzi

Package acceptance for the building for tenants (UPS and FEDEX) big furniture delivery might have some restrictions.

Elevators working.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:44 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Growing up my Dad said why would I get a dishwasher... I have kids.
Hahaha, yeah...I've heard that one too.

I went for a while in this house hand-washing dishes because the dishwasher broke, couldn't be fixed, and I didn't want the hassle of buying a new one and installing it. Went like that for about six months.

I use a dishwasher only because my dishwasher uses less water to wash the dishes than I do.

I lived in Europe for years and rarely had a dishwasher; I got used to hand-washing my dishes. It's no biggie. But if I were a tenant paying the water bill, I'd prefer having a dishwasher simply to save on water costs. In some areas it can be significant.

As a homeowner I feel the same way...water here is expensive. The dishwasher saves me money on water usage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting