Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 10:33 PM

43 posts, read 306,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
In California the registration is required to be with the vehicle... either the permanent or the temporary as you drive the new car off the lot.

For more than half a century the registration was also required to be visible... remember those wrap around column registration holders or the sun visor holders?

Problem was thieves could go to the airport or train station and surmise no one was at home.

I require registration because I as the owner have been cited for having an unregistered tenant vehicle in the driveway and no, it was not a wreck... it was just not being used as her son was in the military.
I'm young, so no, I don't remember the old school ways registration was visible

I have the registration in both vehicles, I just don't own the vehicles outright. I drive them as necessary. If one of my vehicles break down, I don't have to rent a car, etc..I'm lucky to have parents who are able to provide me with two vehicles instead of one.

At first, I was a little bit worried, now, I'm a bit more relieved. I have 4 months left on my lease. I'll happily go rent elsewhere if this is an issue for the landlord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
OP, you're overthinking this. How about people who drive company cars? The only possible issue I can think of for you is if you're living there alone but have two cars.
I do live alone, but I am allowed to park one vehicle in my garage and one vehicle in the open resident lot, per the rules in my lease.

Old 04-30-2016, 05:57 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,685 times
It's pretty easy in Calif. to have BOTH you and your parents names on the vehicle registration. We just did that with our collector cars as mom just retired her drivers' license for Calif. and I'm now on the reg. as the lienholder and driver. Mom is still the owner of the cars. Cost almost nada and done by a broker in a few minutes.

Old 04-30-2016, 06:53 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,234,397 times
I would imagine they just want to assign cars to rentals, so they know who belongs and who doesnt.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
I would imagine they just want to assign cars to rentals, so they know who belongs and who doesnt.
What do you mean by assign cars to rentals?

Old 04-30-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
It's pretty easy in Calif. to have BOTH you and your parents names on the vehicle registration. We just did that with our collector cars as mom just retired her drivers' license for Calif. and I'm now on the reg. as the lienholder and driver. Mom is still the owner of the cars. Cost almost nada and done by a broker in a few minutes.
Yeah, I understand that. I'm just using their vehicles temporarily while I save up money for dependable transportation. I had one car before that broke down quite often and not having a second car has a backup was a killer. I drive one car long distances for work and the other for running errands and pleasure on the weekends. I don't plan on owning their vehicles, so it would be more of a pain to transfer everything to my name for 4 months remaining on a lease.

Old 04-30-2016, 12:41 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,234,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illicitx View Post
If you're allowed one car in a lot and one car in an open area, how will they know whos car is whos unless they assign the cars to the units?

Old 04-30-2016, 12:46 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illicitx View Post
They have to know which cars belong and which don't. If there are unregistered cars in the lot, I suspect that they are going to start towing unauthorized cars. Like the guy who lives a mile away and leaves his car in your parking lot so that he can drive close to the bus stop.

It's also the only way to know who has more than two cars and is taking up more than their two parking spaces.

Old 04-30-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
If you're allowed one car in a lot and one car in an open area, how will they know whos car is whos unless they assign the cars to the units?
Right, I understand. Basically, any vehicle without a permit will be cited. It's an understandable solution to a parking problem. Based on the feedback from the people in this thread, the registration request is to ensure that some guy doesn't have an old beat up non operating vehicle in his garage. Makes complete sense now.

Old 04-30-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
They have to know which cars belong and which don't. If there are unregistered cars in the lot, I suspect that they are going to start towing unauthorized cars. Like the guy who lives a mile away and leaves his car in your parking lot so that he can drive close to the bus stop.

It's also the only way to know who has more than two cars and is taking up more than their two parking spaces.
Yeah, makes total sense. The letter states that cars parked in guest parking areas have to be moved every 24 hours. I just hope residents with three vehicles don't keep switching their 3rd vehicle from guest spot to guest spot. I have a feeling that there are lots of people in this community that will be doing that and I hope management chooses to enforce this rule.

Usually in this situation, will they monitor the cars parked in guest parking to make sure residents don't keep moving a third vehicle around?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting