Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 733 times

Advertisements

Can anybody tell me if I move out a month early from my lease can I use my security deposit as rent if I've been there for 16 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 06:11 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
This is a renting/lease issue not an orange county issue.
After that, what are the laws in your area regarding this issue and what does your lease state?

Old 06-10-2016, 06:23 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Krekel View Post
Can anybody tell me if I move out a month early from my lease can I use my security deposit as rent if I've been there for 16 years?
Usually no. Because the security deposit is designated to be used to repair damages that you caused and it's used separately from the monthly rent. The LL can take you to court for owing rent if you don't pay last month FYI

Old 06-10-2016, 09:39 PM

823 posts, read 1,785,728 times
I agree with Electric. Don't forget to give your written move-out notice too.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:52 PM

36 posts, read 84,946 times
Technically you are not supposed to use your security deposit for the last month's rent. You should pay the last month's rent as normal. The landlord should have access to your security deposit to cover excessive damages that may have occurred during your residency.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:19 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,839,013 times
Quote:
Not without written permission from the landlord. A security deposit is NOT rent.

Old 06-14-2016, 03:41 PM

32,655 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
16 years later, you might have forgotten what you paid for what. Pull out your lease and your receipts and see if you paid first and last. You can't use the security deposit, but if you paid first and last, then your last month is pre-paid.

Your landlord will have records about your deposit, so don't try to fake him out by claiming you paid first and last if you didn't. (with apologies if you would never do that. About 25% of my tenants try to claim they paid first and a last so don't have to pay last months rent. Sorry, tenant, I have records of what you paid and when)

Old 06-14-2016, 04:13 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
16 years later, you might have forgotten what you paid for what. Pull out your lease and your receipts and see if you paid first and last. You can't use the security deposit, but if you paid first and last, then your last month is pre-paid.

Your landlord will have records about your deposit, so don't try to fake him out by claiming you paid first and last if you didn't. (with apologies if you would never do that. About 25% of my tenants try to claim they paid first and a last so don't have to pay last months rent. Sorry, tenant, I have records of what you paid and when)
Agreed, I was going to say all the same. We also have a lot of tenants who try to say they paid last month up front, but we don't charge that, so nope.

But you should check with the landlord and check your paperwork to see if you DID pay the last month up front. If so, you can use that. But if not, you can't use the deposit unless the landlord allows it in writing. Most landlords will not.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:37 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,329,322 times
After 16 yrs., would that initial "first and last month's rent" cover the current last month of rent? I'd be surprised if a differential isn't due.

I may be the only landlord who remembered to ask for the differential of that pre-paid last month's rent when the rent is increased. If a security deposit is defined, in the rental agreement, as being equal to one month's rent; that, too, would be increased with a rent rate increase.

Given that security deposits are required (where I was) to be placed in a separate bank account, for just that purpose, tenants often don't realize they have interest coming (minus the allowable account maintenance fee for interest bearing accounts).

Old 06-14-2016, 07:31 PM

6,818 posts, read 11,548,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James1202 View Post
After 16 yrs., would that initial "first and last month's rent" cover the current last month of rent? I'd be surprised if a differential isn't due.

I may be the only landlord who remembered to ask for the differential of that pre-paid last month's rent when the rent is increased. If a security deposit is defined, in the rental agreement, as being equal to one month's rent; that, too, would be increased with a rent rate increase.

Given that security deposits are required (where I was) to be placed in a separate bank account, for just that purpose, tenants often don't realize they have interest coming (minus the allowable account maintenance fee for interest bearing accounts).
If I had a tenant for 16 years, I think I'd eat the difference on the prepaid last month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
View detailed profiles of: