Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 04:06 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
I am by no means a hoarder or lead an unsanitary life style, but I do have questions in regards to those who are. If someone chooses to clutter, isn't it their own choice or lifestyle? I am not talking about dishes in the sink or things that would bring up cockroaches, but clutter from materialistic things such as clothing and shoes (for females who have way too much of those). I used to have a lot of clothes and shoes when I was single, and living by myself. It was a small apartment and not enough space so clothes would be hung everywhere and put in laundry baskets, sometimes on the floor. Do they even care about clutter, or as long as its not hazardous it should be fine? I mean cluttering doesnt mean its unsanitary, just means there's more stuff.

Read your lease..it should cover their expectations. Clutter is not a choice or lifestyle when renting. You want clutter? Buy a home and fill it to the brim with shoes and purses if that's what you desire, but as a renter you don't get that choice. Sometimes you don't get that choice as a homeowner either..your ins company can cancel your policy if they think you have too much clutter.

You need to talk to your landlord and ask them these questions. If you have a true violation, you would've received a written notice detailing the issues you need to correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 04:45 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,265,760 times
I used to do inspections but they were random. Once a month but any day and any time. Even the middle of the night. If there was no answer, I would let myself in. Yes I caught people sleeping sometimes, too bad. I would not limit the inspection to just the unit's fixed stuff. I would go through the tenant's belongings too. Sometimes I would bring a scale and weigh the tenants. If they gained too much weight month to month, they could get a warning.

I stopped inspections and now just have cameras in every room with audio 24x7. I have it broadcast on a youtube channel so I can hear/see no matter where I am.

None of the above is true.

In actuality, I do not do inspections. I do ask my tenants if they see something wrong to let me know so I can get it fixed promptly. My rentals are high end and my tenants tend to want to keep everything high end. Never a problem. I actually don't go into the rentals much, I usually just send a repair man if necessary. I respect my tenants' privacy 100%

Old 07-19-2016, 07:41 PM

586 posts, read 831,196 times
Felt like I had to give everyone an update about the inspection. I tend to overthink things when in fact it was such an easy inspection. Two maintenance guys came in (no landlord or manager) to check smoke detectors and asked if I needed anything done. One of them was even nice enough to give us free blinds (I didnt ask, he just said he's giving us spares free of charge and this was after us replacing the blinds a few months ago). I had a light bulb that blew and said I am aware that I need to fix it, but he said "no worries, I'll do it for you." So all in all, they were super nice and could care less what my place looked like (although with the current state my unit is in, I wouldnt be concerned if the landlord walked in), it took them 3 minutes before they were out.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:32 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
If my landlord started telling me to put away my clutter, I'd fight him on that one. My place is not a health hazard and I'm not a hoarder, but I fight clutter. I'm just not into cleaning 24/7. There's more to life.

And when you have a small kid? Let alone 2? Yeesh! I can remember my daughter being a toddler and I would have cleaned up all the tupperware that she liked to get out of the cupboards (which were for her to play with) and toys, etc. I swear, all I had time to do was feed her and change her and continually chase her around, and when she finally fell asleep, I'd be cleaning up the mess, and oh yeah, trying to get dinner ready, and oh yeah, take care of the yard and garden....

Then, inevitably, my husband would come home just as the floor was covered with toys again and he'd ask me what I'd been doing all day, watching soaps?

Yeah, I divorced him LOL. But, I remember how impossible it is to keep a clutter-free house with one small kid. Can't even imagine having two. Shudder!

I'm glad the inspection went fine. Next time you can relax. Yay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting