Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 04:28 AM

3 posts, read 2,461 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I need some advice. I am currently living with my fiance and her very ill mother. I moved in a month prior to the leases end, since the plan was to find another home once the lease was up. Her mother decided to continue the lease dispite what was agreed, and my fiance unknowingly signed along since she was told it was another six months. We have just found out that the lease was for another entire year.

Her mother no longer works, meaning that I am paying all of the bills, and she will not add me to the lease. Me and my fiance are beyond miserable, there are roaches infesting the apartment and now there are bed bugs, I haven't been able to skeep in days. They appeared shortly after two new families moved in above us, and directly to next to us. I have tried to explain to her mother the severity of the infestations however she has six cats (when she should have two) But she absolutely refuses to talk to the office.

I am aware that Arizona has a bed bug law stating that she MUST notify the office in three days of finding them, and that we must work with the office to remedy the issue but she refuses. I know that the office has 10 days to make reasonable efforts to address it, and if they do not that we can leave. But starting this process has been impossible to do so. My fiance is shambles about the situation since her mother is terrible to her to begin with.

There are other issues as well including the lighting that lights the property does not work all the time leaving the complex in darkness, people has stolen belongings off of our patio, glass everywhere, cops are consistently in the property to. Inside the apartment there is problems, such as the dishwasher not working for months are they have "fixed" it twice, the A.C. broke and caused water to fill the ceiling around it causing the ceiling to bubble down and sag with a hole. Possibly black mold, the apartment itself is horrificly torn apart from the day they moved in and despite the promises the office never even attempted to replace the doors or remedy the complaints.

Any suggestions would be astronomically appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 05:46 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessed12345 View Post
I moved in a month prior to the leases end,
since the plan was to find another home once the lease was up.
A month before a lease is up people KNOW where they're going.
Well,people who actually plan to move do.

Quote:
Her mother decided to continue the lease dispite what was agreed,
and my fiance unknowingly signed along since she was told it was another six months.
She can't read?

Quote:
she has six cats (when she should have two)
Cats are common tip off. Any number of them.

Quote:
Her mother no longer works, meaning that I am paying all of the bills,
and she will not add me to the lease.
I hope you kept all your boxes. It's time to use them again.
iow: pack up and go.

Quote:
I am aware that Arizona has a bed bug law stating that she MUST notify the office...
My fiance is shambles about the situation since her mother is terrible to her to begin with.
OK. pack up the fiance as well. Get out. Now.

Quote:
Any suggestions would be astronomically appreciated.
Hit the Road Jack

Old 09-04-2016, 06:32 AM

I'm guessing that she took her mother's word for it, since her involvement was minimal. I was OK for 6 month, but a year is not going to happen. The bed bug law states that she has to give them 10 days to fix the issue, but she refuses to involve the office. In fact, we just got done having an argument over it.

My concern is my fiance getting negative repercussions from just leaving since she is in the lease. Without her, her mother would not qualify since shes not working.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:19 AM

558 posts, read 434,946 times
Refuse to live like that. You aren't on the lease so find your own apartment and move. Hopefully, all the furniture, etc. is your fiancée's mother's. Still, you are going to need to steps to kill whatever may have infested your own stuff.

Let your fiancée deal with her mother. You don't have to live together before marriage.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:38 AM

SouthernSusana (my phone won't let me quote)

I could never bring myself to abandon her butI can't stand to allow her to live like this either. We are talking about simply trying to get her off the lease (by any means) and leaving her mom to fend for herself.

I feel more terrible about it then she does, since she's been done with her mom for some time. But I'm not sure how to leave, how it will affect her credit and so one. Im trying to find a decent way to go about this if possible.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:07 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Her mother decided to continue the lease dispite what was agreed, and my fiance unknowingly signed along since she was told it was another six months. We have just found out that the lease was for another entire year.
Bologna.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:12 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:

I feel more terrible about it then she does, since she's been done with her mom for some time.
People who are "done" with their mothers don't sign leases with/for them.

You need to move. Take as little as possible from the bedbug-infested apartment.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:02 PM

539 posts, read 566,881 times
There's got to be something missing. The first paragraph of the original post is a bunch of crap. You don't look for a new place ONCE the lease is up. An apartment should have already been lined up. Other flaws, but I'm not getting into the rest. No one does the described above without some serious incentive.

Want advice? Move.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:22 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Hi there! I need some advice. I am currently living with my fiance and her very ill mother. I moved in a month prior to the leases end, since the plan was to find another home once the lease was up. Her mother decided to continue the lease dispite what was agreed, and my fiance unknowingly signed along since she was told it was another six months. We have just found out that the lease was for another entire year.
So your fiancee (yes, two "e"s when it is a female) either can't read, is a moron, or lied to you. I wouldn't want to marry any one of those three; especially compounded with living with 6 cats and bedbugs for the next year.

Get out.

Old 09-04-2016, 06:00 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,704,515 times
Gee, what could possibly go wrong with this whole picture?

So, let me see if I understand you correctly. You want suggestions/advice on how to get out of, or break a lease, unscathed and without penalty when the lease has been breached by, but not limited to:
1) YOU living there and not on the lease (so you are just as guilty).
2) 6 cats with only a 2 cat limit.
3) Not reporting major damage that leaseholders are obligated to report ASAP and because they were not reported, makes the leaseholders obligated to pay the total of all damages and repairs.
4) Not reporting cockroaches and fleas ASAP before a major infestation.

Not to mention a fiancee that doesn't, or can't, even take the time to read a document prior to signing it when the fiancee is now just as responsible as the mother in ALL breaches and damages listed above. She might as well have just handed the LL THOUSANDS of dollars because that is basically what she has signed on for and is now 100% equally responsible for. Not to mention basically kissing her (and your) credit goodbye plus the chance of never being able to rent again because of either being evicted or breaking a lease with a judgment against them for money that she (or the mother) are unable to pay. Plus, possibly never being able to purchase a home after all is said and done due to the hit your credit will take.

You want suggestions? There are just no words....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting