Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 06:38 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
No way in hell would I let a tenant paint anything or do any other repairs or modifications. In fact I turned down one tenant just last week who wanted to paint the walls a more pleasing color. I told them the paint was currently in good condition, and I like the neutral tones because it makes it easier to rent, and flat turned them down.

If I ever did let a tenant to repaint one of my houses I would require (1) my advance approval of the exact color scheme, and (2) that the painting be done by a professional painter who is a licensed contractor.

Just to note, I told the previous tenant the same thing (and it's stated in the lease that tenant can not modify the house or make repairs without written authorization) and he told me he'd damned well do what he wanted whether I like it or not, and did it. When he moved out it was sufficiently okay that I didn't make any deal out of it.
Exactly. And frankly, as a tenant, I don't want that responsibility. I don't even let my Fiance paint furniture in our place.

If someone drips paint on the hardwoods, let it be on the landlord's contractor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 12:37 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,240,667 times
You can have poured concrete for that space for about $1000 or even less. I did my back patio, about 20' x 10', for $600 and that price was high because it was such a small space. For that price they removed about 2-4" of rock and dirt and poured the slab, we pour right on the dirt here in AZ. I couldn't imagine it being too expensive to have the area cleaned up and driveway gravel put down.

That said you don't have to do any of that if you don't want to since it isn't a habitability issue but to keep rents up it is best to keep the home in really good condition. The nicer the home you have the better, less likely to leave damage, tenant you can attract.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:10 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
If it was my driveway

I would get bids for a poured concrete drive (wether you keep it as a rental, flip it/sell it the driveway as is will be a detriment come sell time. May even be a detractor as a rental.

If the poured concrete is too much (really concrete is usually the cheapest option unless you go all gravel.)

I'm not sure if you're a DIY guy but you can rent a jackhammer a wheel barrow and a concrete rubble container. Jacknhammer it out load it up then call up a local rock supplier and have him drop off a load of gravel. You can do this

Gravel surfaces stabilized for vehicle and pedestrian traffic

Old 09-07-2016, 10:37 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,026,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoaz View Post
I have a tenant whose been complaining lately, I raised the rent by 45 dollars when the lease ended recently, rent for the house was under market and lately homes in the area have been going up with 3br/2ba homes going for nearly as much as my rental and mine is 4br/2ba. Before I got them to sign a new lease they asked about a new driveway and I told them I'd think about it.

but now I got a note with his rent this month, and I don't have 5+ grand to drop on installing a new driveway. I'm including a pic of the driveway.

And he's also started to complain that the doors on the back of the house that the paint has started to fade a lot etc and asked in a note to repaint them basically.

How do I go about telling him that I'm not going to be putting in a new driveway? and as far as the doors go what should I tell him? I really don't have the time or money right now to take off 2 doors, sand both down and paint both of them. (just paint that has faded, cosmetic issue)
when the rent is increased by that much most tenants will want to see improvements.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:58 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Your tenant is not required to live in your property. Therefore, if he doesn't like anything about it, he can move.

If I was someone looking for a place to rent, I wouldn't think twice about that driveway.

So, look for a tenant who thinks like me.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:03 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,026,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Your tenant is not required to live in your property. Therefore, if he doesn't like anything about it, he can move.

If I was someone looking for a place to rent, I wouldn't think twice about that driveway.

So, look for a tenant who thinks like me.
The tenant could just be thinking of things he/she wants to see revamped since the rent has increased $45

Old 09-08-2016, 12:01 AM

997 posts, read 937,599 times
It sounds like the tenant is being a nuisance. If the paint was peeling that is a maintenance issue. The driveway is a maintenance issue. I think it needs to be dealt with since it is your property.

You don't have to do it this second. You could do it the month before his lease expires and then raise the rent.

Tell him that you have plans to take care of it within the year, or in a few months.

Since you are going to pull that trick, then I would paint the doors. They are problem tenants. Minor things like fading paint is an annoyance to be bothered about. Peeling paint is a different matter.

The driveway does need attention and that is not their fault but since they mentioned both things right away it sounds like they are going to cry about other things that are not satisfactory to them. To me, I wouldn't rent under market to people like that. I would rent undermarket to people who help me out because I can't do every little chore on the honey do list.

That is why I don't rent anymore. I don't like being a landlord. I am not good at it.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:18 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
The tenant could just be thinking of things he/she wants to see revamped since the rent has increased $45
No doubt. I'd offer them the "happy clause" then. If you're not happy here, you can just give us 30 days notice, as long as you do so before X date.

This is another reason I prefer month to month agreements. When tenants want out of a lease, they usually start finding things wrong with the property. So, I'd offer them the happy clause.

In this case, the tenant doesn't like the higher rent, but probably discovered they couldn't get a better deal anywhere else, and they're just trying to flex their muscles. I'd offer them the happy clause to shut them up. Which worked for me 99% of the time. The other 1% decided to move out and we were quite happy to see them leave :-)

Old 09-08-2016, 08:08 AM

23 posts, read 23,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicka View Post
It sounds like the tenant is being a nuisance. If the paint was peeling that is a maintenance issue. The driveway is a maintenance issue. I think it needs to be dealt with since it is your property.

You don't have to do it this second. You could do it the month before his lease expires and then raise the rent.

Tell him that you have plans to take care of it within the year, or in a few months.

Since you are going to pull that trick, then I would paint the doors. They are problem tenants. Minor things like fading paint is an annoyance to be bothered about. Peeling paint is a different matter.

The driveway does need attention and that is not their fault but since they mentioned both things right away it sounds like they are going to cry about other things that are not satisfactory to them. To me, I wouldn't rent under market to people like that. I would rent undermarket to people who help me out because I can't do every little chore on the honey do list.

That is why I don't rent anymore. I don't like being a landlord. I am not good at it.

I went by the back of the house and I would say bottom half of doors there is peeling! I do plan on painting them within the next few months.

Just curious though based off the picture https://gyazo.com/f8c0499b7bb637551afe2f61ac277957
what do you think I should do to the driveway???? In terms of a temporary fix/solution to make it last a few years before needing to tear concrete/aspalt or w/e it is up and laying down a new one.

I'm going to get a video of the driveway in 1080p to show it better today.

They had also complained about one of the toilets causing "pinch" went over it was pretty loose, popped open the plastic caps that cover where the screws go, held onto the screw and tightened the washers underneath, problem solved, he said he tried that too but couldnt get it to catch/tighten lol

Last edited by SouthernBoaz; 09-08-2016 at 08:21 AM..

Old 09-08-2016, 09:14 AM

16 posts, read 22,957 times
First of all the driveway was like that when they rented it the only problem is you raised the rent tell him if you put down a new drive way the rent will have to go up to cover your costs. if the doors are faded give them the paint and let them do it, its not a big deal nether of these are a problem that the city will make you do unless it is causing a health issue which it is not. let them complain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting