Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2017, 11:30 PM

1 posts, read 748 times

Advertisements

I just moved in my apartment in Albany Oregon, this building is really old of old so the carpet has been there since they bailed the place and they shampooed it and everything it's still dirty and it smells really bad like old cigarettes and nasty damp mold or something it's unbearable and I told her that I'm allergic to cigarette smoke this is my first night here and she tells me that they won't change the carpet or give me another apartment. My eyes are very itchy and it feels like I have asthma. Can someone tell me what's my options should I have the health department come in and inspect the place. What are my rights as a tenet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 11:52 AM

32,725 posts, read 48,333,377 times
Call a professional carpet cleaner and have the rug cleaned again, by someone who has a truck mounted carpet machine with a powerful extractor. Pay for the deodorizing treatment.

Sorry, but that smell didn't magically appear after you moved in, so it smelled when you looked at the apartment and accepted it. Some one did clean the carpet. The departing tenant or the landlord? No matter. You saw it and you accepted it in the condition it is currently in.

It won't cost you too much to have a good company get it clean and stink-free. It might still be stained, but you can buy inexpensive area rugs to cover it (after it is completely and totally dry). Personally, I don't treat my tenants that way, but you can not make the landlord do anything about it, so if you want to live there, stink free, I suggest you invest in the professional cleaning.

Be sure to get lots of photos of the move-in condition and have the carpet cleaner make a note on his receipt that the carpet smelled bad.

If the carpet is that old in such bad condition, if it has to be replaced after you move out, you only get charged prorated costs, which should be close to nothing. Still, document everything.

In Oregon, if the carpet was cleaned before you move in, and it says so in your rental agreement, the landlord can charge you for professional carpet cleaning after you move out. Just be prepared for it, so you don't have to come back asking if the landlord can do that.

Old 03-03-2017, 03:39 PM

32,725 posts, read 48,333,377 times
Adding this: if you really can not stand it, Oregon has a law that allows you to break a lease by paying a lease breaking fee. Believe me, it would be a whole lot cheaper to have the carpet cleaned than to pay the lease break fee and move.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:39 PM

18,507 posts, read 31,741,142 times
buy another carpet of your choice, whats the big deal.
i think this is your best bet and its a win win for you and the LL.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:58 AM

6,931 posts, read 3,981,557 times
Didn't you look at the place before signing the lease?? The time to address that sort of thing is BEFORE you sign a binding agreement, not after. That way if the landlord refuses to address the issue, you just say ix-nay and go look somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting