Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 06:26 AM

67 posts, read 345,598 times

Advertisements

I've been reading up on carpet tiles, and they sound like a good idea as long as you get quality ones. They don't give off the chemical emissions of regular carpet, DIY types can easily install them, you can remove one tile to clean it or replace it if necessary without replacing the whole carpet, you can remove the whole carpet more easily than regular carpet, and you can mix and match tiles if you want.

We need to choose carpet both for ourselves and for the resale value of the home as we may be moving in a few years. What are your thoughts on carpet tile compared to regular carpet? It's difficult to compare pricing when I don't know enough about carpet to compare the same quality.

One type I'm looking at is Shaw's Capital III carpet tile. It's less expensive than some other types, it's eco-friendly, and it has a nice colour selection. I don't know if I can look at less expensive options without losing too much on quality. Suggestions are welcome.

Also, has anyone used carpet tile for stairs, or should we use regular carpet there?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 08:35 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanee View Post
I've been reading up on carpet tiles, and they sound like a good idea as long as you get quality ones. They don't give off the chemical emissions of regular carpet, DIY types can easily install them, you can remove one tile to clean it or replace it if necessary without replacing the whole carpet, you can remove the whole carpet more easily than regular carpet, and you can mix and match tiles if you want.

We need to choose carpet both for ourselves and for the resale value of the home as we may be moving in a few years. What are your thoughts on carpet tile compared to regular carpet? It's difficult to compare pricing when I don't know enough about carpet to compare the same quality.

One type I'm looking at is Shaw's Capital III carpet tile. It's less expensive than some other types, it's eco-friendly, and it has a nice colour selection. I don't know if I can look at less expensive options without losing too much on quality. Suggestions are welcome.

Also, has anyone used carpet tile for stairs, or should we use regular carpet there?

Thanks.
Vanee, your coming up with these great questions. I was wondering the same thing.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:47 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,212 times
I would not use carpet tile on stairs personally. Regardless of what they tell you, you can see seams in the tiles and it would look pretty cheap to me on stairs.

Also for resale, carpet tiles would be a minus for me because if I want a room carpeted i prefer stepping onto a soft, padded surface. Even the tiles that come with some padding can't pull this off. Also, unless you go wall to wall with it, the tiles will move over time.

That being said your points about replacing a tile and ease of install are valid so you have to weigh your options.

We did our playroom in carpet tiles and are very happy with it. Ours have a sticky back and even with that there are a few in well traveled areas of the room that have moved a little (we didn't go wall to wall where the room meets the closets). I have already had to replace one tile and it was very easy and I was able to initially do the space I wanted in probably a 3 hour period for the whole install and that included cutting some along the walls and doorway so they would look wall to wall in that area. Ours have no cushion to it, but we really just wanted something our kids could sprawl out on without worrying about the floors underneath so the cushion aspect wasn't important for this room. If you check out my post in the thread below you can see a pic of how ours came out. good luck

The elusive perfect sage green...suggestions?

Old 09-06-2009, 07:33 AM

67 posts, read 345,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
I would not use carpet tile on stairs personally. Regardless of what they tell you, you can see seams in the tiles and it would look pretty cheap to me on stairs.

Also for resale, carpet tiles would be a minus for me because if I want a room carpeted i prefer stepping onto a soft, padded surface. Even the tiles that come with some padding can't pull this off. Also, unless you go wall to wall with it, the tiles will move over time.

That being said your points about replacing a tile and ease of install are valid so you have to weigh your options.

We did our playroom in carpet tiles and are very happy with it. Ours have a sticky back and even with that there are a few in well traveled areas of the room that have moved a little (we didn't go wall to wall where the room meets the closets). I have already had to replace one tile and it was very easy and I was able to initially do the space I wanted in probably a 3 hour period for the whole install and that included cutting some along the walls and doorway so they would look wall to wall in that area. Ours have no cushion to it, but we really just wanted something our kids could sprawl out on without worrying about the floors underneath so the cushion aspect wasn't important for this room. If you check out my post in the thread below you can see a pic of how ours came out. good luck

The elusive perfect sage green...suggestions?
You brought up some good points. Thanks.

One way to do carpet tiles on stairs (I think) is to use just the width of one carpet tile centered on the step and have hardwood or laminate on each side. I haven't seen that done, but I'm picturing it. But it's just an idea, and maybe regular carpet would be easier and better for stairs.

If we go with carpet tiles for our upstairs (2 bedrooms plus a hallway), they will be wall to wall. So, tile shifting shouldn't be a problem, but as you said, they still wouldn't be as soft as a regular carpet.

I love the colours and pattern in your playroom.

Any more opinions about or experiences with carpet tiles and resale value?

Old 09-06-2009, 08:09 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Very commercial look. No better than cheap gluedown carpet, when you go to resell.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:22 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanee View Post

Thanks.
I've installed carpet tiles in several different buildings - one being the basement of a home we used to own.

The answer to your question is a question: What look & feel do you want to achieve?

If you want the carpeted area to have a "commercial" look, carpet squares will be fine. If you're going for a "homey" look, don't use carpet squares. No matter what kind you get, or how you lay them, the area will look commercial.

The appeal of carpet squares is primarily that you can lay them yourself. But the higher cost (per yard) of carpet squares tends to offset the cost of installing regular carpet.

Bottom line for me personally: I'd use carpet squares in a commercial area, or in a minimally-finished basement. I would never use them in a living room or bedroom.

Regarding stairs. I'd suggest you don't do that. I've found that commercial tiles will stay put, provided they're surrounded tightly by other tiles in a large area. The individual tiles don't have highly adhesive backing. You'd need additional adhesive to adhere them to stairs, and if you're going to do that anyway, just get carpet you can cut to fit the stairs.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:11 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,114,293 times
FLOR modular carpet tiles - Create unique, eco-friendly area rugs, runners & wall-to-wall designs

Old 09-10-2009, 12:32 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times
If you're going for resale value, I would suggest wall-to-wall carpet. If you can keep it clean. I personally don't like carpet. Most people I know prefer hardwood, so I hope you're not covering up hardwood floors with the carpet. If so, why?

Old 09-10-2009, 01:11 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
If you're going for resale value, I would suggest wall-to-wall carpet. If you can keep it clean. I personally don't like carpet. Most people I know prefer hardwood, so I hope you're not covering up hardwood floors with the carpet. If so, why?
Very good point.

Right now, hardwood floors are all the rage. So if it's resale value somebody is after, it'd be silly to cover them with carpet.

Another thing many people aren't aware of, is that it's not terribly difficult to sand & refinish hardwood floors. Takes some time, yes. But you can rent the sanders, and from there it basically takes some time and elbow grease. I completely sanded and refinished all the hardwood floors in an investment house last year (dining room, living room, hallway, bathroom & 3 bedrooms). My total cost was about $400, and it increased the value of the home by (probably at least) $5,000.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:51 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times
I agree with your sentiment, but I would hire an experienced professional to do the floors. Otherwise it's too easy to make a mess or ruin a nice floor with circles, uneven patches etc if you do it yourself. I'm for doing some things yourself, but I think for your own home, a professional can do a better job than an amateur. Just my two-cents. I have seen too many do-it-yourselfers ruin historic homes (hardwood floors, windows, walls) by trying to save a few bucks. It's heartbreaking. If price is an option and the floors are hardwood, I would leave them alone and get them refinished when you can afford to hire a professional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating