Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 05:02 PM

69 posts, read 186,787 times

Advertisements

thanks everyone its nice to know im not the only one that thinks something is wrong with this situation i thought this might be a cultural thing but i dont understand why they show up at 1am then leave 15 minutes later then come back for 10 minutes that doesnt make sense to me if this was just a cultural thing.
i have finally found my my white noise machine which combined with all the other sleep aids is finally allowing me to sleep and not be woken up , unfortunately all i want to do is sleep because when i wake up i have to deal with them all over again, sigh....
anyway once again thank you all for the input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 06:13 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,540,802 times
Just want to say I feel for you. I am very sensitive to noise, and consider having a quiet environment to be one of the most important aspects of where I live. So if I were in your shoes, I would be going mad too.

Just to share a little story that might make you feel better (in the sense that you are not alone with this problem). I once had a friend who bought a great two-story townhouse. It was in a four-unit complex, and she was on the end. Her small back patio shared a fence with the neighbor. After getting settled in, she spent a fair amount of money doing a nice paint job inside all of the rooms.

And then the unit next door was sold.

The new owners liked to smoke while they hung out on the back patio. So she would have to close her windows and doors in the back when they were smoking. The new owners liked to work on their cars early on weekend mornings, with the radio turned up nice and loud. The new owners had a large aggressive dog that barked frequently. They also liked to turn the surround sound up on their home entertainment system which was set up against the one wall she shared with them.

Given that this was such a small complex, there was no one to really stand up against these folks - and they owned rather than rented, so there was nothing to be done.

She ended up having to sell and move.

If you're ever feeling particularly frustrated, here is a great thread with nearly 1000 comments from people dealing with noisy neighbors. I used to read it back when I had one a few years ago - it helped take the edge off a bit. Of course, I wore my ear plugs while reading https://ohmyapt.apartmentratings.com...neighbors.html

Old 03-11-2017, 07:30 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,776,759 times
Having lived below the poverty line in slums for about a decade, I would say that the best thing about again being middle and even upper middle class is being able to afford a single family home in a quiet safe neighborhood. Peace and quiet is the best thing that money can buy.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:07 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times
OP....I have no real advice other than what you've tried regarding your LL.

But, perhaps if you think they could be illegals, or even legal immigrants committing crimes call ICE for your area.

It also sounds like it could be human trafficking. I have many opportunities for training, and last Fall one of the trainings was on human trafficking.

Also, calling 211 from your home number which is a national resource help and referral line....You could describe your situation and the 24/7 volunteer might have other suggestions that could help you and will also provide the contact information.

Here are some links that I found related to these issues. I hope something helps. Please be safe.
2-1-1.org

How to recognize human trafficking:
How Can I Recognize Victims of Human Trafficking

How to Identify a Human Trafficking Victim

Hotline Human trafficking:
https://humantraffickinghotline.org/report-trafficking

ICE:
https://www.ice.gov/webform/hsi-tip-form

Old 03-12-2017, 10:42 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,587,677 times
"landlords" will never do anything as long as the checks keep coming that's all that matters. They don't need you, you need them. There are a ton of people who need to rent and once you move another sucker moves right in. This is why i say owning is the best bet. These "landlords" rent these places and live in peace up on "society hill" in a large luxurious home while you are living in hell. They probably laugh and joke about their tenants over dinner.

Old 03-12-2017, 07:54 PM

i believe they are all from the congo and i do think they are all immigrants that get together since they are strangers here. they have a welfare worker who visits them
most seem to dress nicely and all seem very friendly always laughing etc, i can empathize with the cultural difference but i cant live with them.
950 sq ft apts are not made to house 11 people
i cant figure out the adult slumber parties every night, im wondering if some could be homeless? is that the reason they always have overnight guests? it takes like 8 years to get section 8 in maine
if they are homeless i know our shelters here are full of bedbugs and drug resistant lice.

when it comes to ice i know the apt complex checked the couple for felonies but what about all the people who sleep overnight or are constantly here? im looking for an apt but seriously it is a tight tight market ill try the 211 number since landlord and police are useless. thank you so much for input

Old 03-12-2017, 08:01 PM

too true

Old 03-12-2017, 08:24 PM

i read some of them before finding this forum, they certainly show just what kind of a living hell ignorant people can turn your home into
i keep thinking there must be something i can do about my neighbors but it just keeps making me more angry
im at the point where im just yelling at them through the walls whenever they get loud, when more people show up im yelling, im stomping up and down the stairs banging cupboards, basically just giving them what ive been getting since they moved in (thats terrible i know) im not working right now because i cant log all comings and goings if im upstairs working and i need a detailed log for when i need to move or to get them evicted.

its like im consumed by this and i need to stop the cycle of anger somehow but when you keep hearing the banging the slamming see the cars pulling up people in and out all day and night it just seems to make it impossible, the longer it goes on the more quick to anger i become

maybe i just need to start taking klonopin make a great story how my neighbors from hell turned me into a drug addict

Old 03-13-2017, 08:44 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,587,677 times
Join the club about 2 hours ago i was violently shaken off the couch while i was relaxing watching tv to a violent door slam. The whole building shook. Nothing you can do about it landlords don't care cops dont care and the problem neighbors don't care.

Right before that my other neighbor was idling his diesel pickup in the parking lot it's so loud it vibrates my wall but that was nothing compared to the door slam.

Just have to deal with it because when you approach people like this they get violent instead of staying "sorry about that". And i don't live in a bad area it's just bad tenants and they all work. One guy is a union painter and the other is a flatbed tow truck driver. When they get off work it's time to smoke pot and walk the pitpull and slam doors and idle diesel pickups. And if you don't like it...in their own words to me "you can get the f outta here"

These people are the reason why i support abortion.

Old 03-16-2017, 02:39 PM

35 posts, read 28,078 times
Move. Your landlord isn't a babysitter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting