Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2017, 03:36 PM

17 posts, read 244,044 times

Advertisements

My Landlord's company closed down last week. Nothing has been changed with my terms as of now, but should I be worried? We are really close and we take care of each other's cats. His daughter, wife, and son all work and I think he's just hoping to wait it out until he can get another job. Has anyone ever been in this situation? He is older, but I don't think old enough to quite retire yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 03:53 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moderatenerd View Post
My Landlord's company closed down last week... should I be worried?
Probably... but there shouldn't be any imminent risk to you.

The question is mostly about WHY he is a landlord... how that came to be.
Too many one property LL's were forced into it and are living life financially on a knife's edge.

Old 03-17-2017, 04:04 PM

17 posts, read 244,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Probably... but there shouldn't be any imminent risk to you.

The question is mostly about WHY he is a landlord... how that came to be.
Too many one property LL's were forced into it and are living life financially on a knife's edge.
I don't really know his financial situation, but I am pretty sure he's been living here for at least a decade if not longer. They aren't rich, and I am sure if he doesn't find a job soon like in six months things will start to happen financially. Though, I think he is fine for now. He seems to be enjoying the break.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:06 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,759,472 times
Not your monkeys not your circus.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:36 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moderatenerd View Post
I don't really know his financial situation, but I am pretty sure he's been living here for at least a decade if not longer. They aren't rich, and I am sure if he doesn't find a job soon like in six months things will start to happen financially. Though, I think he is fine for now. He seems to be enjoying the break.
Dont assume anything about their finances. They could be fine or walking a tightrope. Either way your lease protects you for its duration. After that he may sell or raise your rent. Or he may do nothing. He may find a job. He may not need one
I "lost" my job before and my tenants knew nothing about it. In fact I wouldn't dream of discussing my finances or job loss with my tenants.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:04 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Not your monkeys not your circus.
Or in other words, OP does not have any dog in this fight.

Pay your rent. Let landlord worry about his job.

Worst case is he'll have to sell his premises, and if you have a lease the new owner will have to honor your existing lease. Worser case if you are month-to-month.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:58 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Is he your landlord, as is he owns your unit; or is he the super/manager that manages your unit? Your post isn't too clear...either way, it's not really your concern and nothing you can do about it. your lease will remain the same until it expires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting