Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 08:20 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times

Advertisements

Before you start talking about eviction, you need to print that picture, do an inspection, and talk to your tenants about it. They have been good tenants for 4 years, maybe you need to slow down and not jump to conclusions before inspecting and talking to them. Make sure they understand this is a serious situation and that they are breaking a legal contract if they have the puppy.

If they are breaking the contract, then evict. Sounds like they are leaving soon anyway. Good luck. Sucks to have the trust broken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 08:22 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,026,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
ACTUALLY, I was about to say the same thing. That was actually my first thought.

Maybe they are babysitting.

BUT then I read the op's post and it stated they were discussing their latest acquisition on facebook.

That changed things.
I guess when I read the same post just got something different out of it.

I saw the acquisition as possibly being temporary. Oh well...

Old 03-19-2017, 11:13 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post
Yes actually it is. I have many years experience in this field doing it for free. My parents owned many rentals, mom refused to help dad so I stepped in. He was gone alot working

When you find those rare tenants that don't call you, though via the contract THEY COULD, you cherish them.

A contract is a contract and it goes BOTH WAYS. So all they have to do is call him out for peddly things.

Funny our next door neighbors are renters. Knocked on our door asking my husband to check on why their outlets and power is not working in their garage. They are growing pot and using cheap inverters he says. Even they know their rent is a great deal and plan to pay an electrician to fix it.

As someone with much experience, again, if you've done a walk thru and the house looks and smells nice, likely nothing will change. That is how they live. You certainly don't go asking for more money because they have 3 dogs now instead of two. Obviously, you already know a pet fee wasn't necessary in the beginning so no need to milk them for more $$

Again, appreciate these rare renters who pay on time AND keep the house clean. You've done a walk thru and they've been there 4 years so you know how they live. They hardly even call the landlord so I say respond IN KIND to they way you are being treated and quit trying to milk them for more $$.

Well, since you helped for free, I'd say your parents got what they paid for. Your attitude is not one that would be a successful business model.

You can have tenants who pay on time, yet do damage far beyond their deposit or any pet fees. Just because they leave you alone, doesn't mean they aren't costing you money.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post
I understand it perfectly fine. I used to draw up those contracts. Not sure where you got the idea otherwise
Why bother with a contract, if you aren't going to enforce it?

Old 03-19-2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
If they are keeping the place up, and paying their rent, after 4 years in the place, then the key to happiness is to stop asking them questions they might have to lie about. Simplify the relationship, don't attribute ill-intent on people who want to do perfectly normal happy things like getting a puppy, and it's easier to get along. Focus on the place. I know lots of people who have raised puppies without the house being ruined. If they are one of those, then don't worry about it. If the place is trashed, kick them out. That's what matters at this point. The puppy is done. Don't take the puppy personally, just test their ability to handle another pet and get on with life.

My two cents.
What if they want a pony? A pet skunk? Maybe a stinky ferret? Want to start breeding monkeys? Turn the garage into a grow operation? Plow up the backyard and raise a couple pigs?

Old 03-19-2017, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Well, since you helped for free, I'd say your parents got what they paid for. Your attitude is not one that would be a successful business model.

You can have tenants who pay on time, yet do damage far beyond their deposit or any pet fees. Just because they leave you alone, doesn't mean they aren't costing you money.
What in the world?? I don't appreciate the put down of my parents got what they paid for. Please try not to make this personal

Regarding the bolded above, The OP stated THERE IS NO DAMAGE. They did a walk thru already. They've been living in the home for four years now.

And the last final correction- None one stated "just because tenants leave you alone, they are not costing you any money"

I think you need to go lay down. You are having some real challenges in this thread.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
What if they want a pony? A pet skunk? Maybe a stinky ferret? Want to start breeding monkeys? Turn the garage into a grow operation? Plow up the backyard and raise a couple pigs?
A Pet skunk?
Breeding Monkeys?

Old 03-20-2017, 12:39 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,704,515 times
I think what most are getting at here is if the tenants will get a puppy behind the LL's back especially 1) after already asking and being told no and 2) it is clearly specified in their lease regarding the pet policy, then what else might they do or try to get away with?

The OP wouldn't be here if it were as cut and dry as the lease states and if the rental market was doing well. OP is obviously confused on how to handle this situation because they have been such good tenants up until this lie (IF they did actually lie and they do have a puppy based on their FB page).

So no one is right and no one is wrong here and everyone is allowed their opinion.

I know if it happened in our rentals it would not be taken lightly either. There should never be any reason to lie or do things that breach a contract. The tenant already has 2 cats and a dog so another dog is a bit overkill, especially in a rental but most specifically a puppy.

If I were the OP I would just sit down with the tenants and let them know that they have breached the lease (IF the OP finds out they actually do have a puppy there) and let them know it is grounds for lease termination just to really strike some fear in them. Let them know that lying is not accepted and if that is how they want to handle their tenant/LL relationship then it is best that they leave. Give it a few minutes, let them sweat a bit and see how the tenants react/respond so they know you mean business and how they handled this is not acceptable and you are not happy about it. If they are totally shocked then obviously they are taking you as an easy pushover.

Then, IF you then don't mind them staying (after you have struck that initial fear in them) then have a plan of action ready to try and work something out with them to allow them to stay and also keep the puppy (your call). Charge another pet deposit, schedule monthly inspections from here on out to monitor for any damage, etc, etc, etc. Whatever it is make sure it is YOUR plan and not theirs on your terms only and there are no ands, ifs or buts about it. In other words don't make it easy for them or give them any idea that you are taking any of this lightly. Let them know that any additional breaches will be an automatic eviction. Also reiterate that any/all damages which clearly includes urine damages to floors, carpet and subfloors, chewed up woodwork, etc, etc will all be deducted from their deposit and anything above their deposit they will still have to pay.

This can all be done in a professional and reasonable way while also getting your point across and clearly letting them know where you stand from here on out.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:37 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times
If the Tenants are always paying on time and there isn't any damage to the property I wouldn't evict them. Good tenants are hard to find! This may work in your favor because the likelihood of them moving is a lot less now with 4 pets. Kind of like insurance you won't have to worry about renting their apartment anytime soon.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:49 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times
I'd let it go. Would you give up these tenants for pet-less ones that you have to harass for rent and move out every year, causing you to have to re-lease?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting