Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 10:23 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times

Advertisements

What do your local traffic/parking ordinances stipulate re: proper parking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 10:28 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times
Some cities have pretty draconian laws about who can park where on their streets. Unless this is a small town I'd expect there to be regulations which can be enforced.

I remember one time parking parallel on the street outside our house and getting a ticket from the police - we were brand new in the house and town and didn't know you had to face only one way (the way you drive) when parking. We sure found out soon enough!

Old 04-06-2017, 01:18 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Some cities have pretty draconian laws about who can park where on their streets. Unless this is a small town I'd expect there to be regulations which can be enforced.

I remember one time parking parallel on the street outside our house and getting a ticket from the police - we were brand new in the house and town and didn't know you had to face only one way (the way you drive) when parking. We sure found out soon enough!

I've lived in a place like that, where there are so many different ways to get a parking ticket. (They call that one 'wrong way to curb'.) Where I live now, wrong way to curb is common and nobody gets a ticket unless they are in a timed parking zone or at an expired meter.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:06 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
I'm not referring to yard parking, is that even a thing? No, this person in my neighborhood puts up signs trying to prevent people from parking on the street in front of his house.
that's what I said..you can't block street parking, but you can block people from parking in your yard.

For some reason people believe they own the 'spots' in front of their house..they don't, it's public and anyone can park there. I believe we've had a couple threads on the topic

Old 04-06-2017, 06:13 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
that's what I said..you can't block street parking, but you can block people from parking in your yard.

For some reason people believe they own the 'spots' in front of their house..they don't, it's public and anyone can park there. I believe we've had a couple threads on the topic

Where I live, neighborhoods with parking issues can petition for permitted street parking, at which point people have to purchase a lettered permit (e.g. "G" permit) to park on streets in their neighborhood. Preserves street parking for residents of the neighborhood.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:58 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,758,112 times
Nearly every city has a rule against left wheel to the curb parking. Its mainly so that when you start your car (at night), you don't blind oncoming traffic.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:14 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post

If you answer yes to one or all, then call your landlord, HOA, but don't bother the police..it's private property and they won't do anything about it
This is not necessarily true in all areas.

I live on a private HOA maintained cul-de-sac and the local police will enforce parking restrictions - especially, when it's a fire lane. I've had to call them a couple of times.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:51 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Where I live, neighborhoods with parking issues can petition for permitted street parking, at which point people have to purchase a lettered permit (e.g. "G" permit) to park on streets in their neighborhood. Preserves street parking for residents of the neighborhood.
None of the houses on my street have driveways (they were built back before people owned cars - the house I live in was built in 1892), so we all have to park on-street. I can usually get a spot in front of my house, but once I ended up parking across the street and down the block. I got a note on my windshield asking me not to park there, that I could park across the street.

There is no reserved spots on the block. First come, first served. Someone should tell whichever nimrod put that note on my car that fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting