Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 02:47 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure about interest. Not all states require the landlord pay the tenant interest on their money. Mine doesn't. But don't know about California. I don't THINK it is required, but not sure.

They met the requirement of sending the notice within 21 days. Just because you didn't agree with the refund doesn't mean they are in default on that part. So that isn't relevant.

You said you haven't heard from her since March 9th. Have you followed up? Landlords are humans, and it is very easy to lose track of some things. I'm a property manager of about 180 properties and at any given time, I have in front of me: at least 2 major repair/remodels going somewhere, at least 4 tenants in the process of moving out, at least 2 who have already moved out and are being cleaned up for the next tenant, at least 2 tenants who are substantially late on rent and at some point in the process of being served, at least 10 applications on my desk for upcoming rentals, at least 2 HOA complaints, and at least 5 calls for something broken, not to mention all the other phone calls, bills, etc that are part of an average day. At all times, every single day. So you can see it is easy for something small, like a $16 discrepancy on a refund to be forgotten, even with the best of intentions.

If you haven't followed up, send a polite email that you haven't heard back, and still think your math is correct, what is the status? If you don't hear back, send another one on Monday. If you still don't hear back, send a certified letter stating that because you have been unable to get a response, you are now disputing the entire refund and demand a response within 3 days (5? 7? Whatever your state requires, you'll need to look up the procedure). That would put you in a much better position to be heard in small claims court, which would be your next step. California is a very tenant friendly state. You might even win.

But my guess is that something else came up that was urgent, your file got set aside and then forgotten. It can happen to any of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting